Terrible news, really terrible.

Two points:

1. There us no evidence that it will be ok despite some optimism from felliw Jags. Management is everything at our level where players are much if a muchness (although we have a couple if stars at present) - look at the contrasts - Auld then a decade of idiots; Lambie then Clark; Lambie then Collins; etc. It is very difficult to get people of Jackie's calibre.

2. People slagging Jackie Mac off are out of order. He stayed a good while including through the financial rationalisation period, and along wirh the latest Board gas worked damn hard to improve things, often despite a fair amount of fans saying he's clueless and / or lacks passion. He's also created one of the best teams we've had with an average player wage if 250-300 quid a week. We should be saying a massive thank you tobyhe man.

But they are a big club ...

See they are nowhere near the size of club they are often portrayed. Their crowds are average, not a patch on the Edinburgh or Aberdeen clubs, they aren't likely to win any silverware or do anything more than get pumped out the 1st or 2nd round of Europe, achieve a top six finish? Bleugh. Jackie could have done much better, shows what he thought of us that he ****** off at the first chance for the sake of a few quid despite being pretty well off himself, stabbing us in the back after giving him a break and sticking by him after a bad injury and ******* off at a critical point of the season, our most critical in over 10 years. He'll give us the patronising spiel no doubt in the next couple of days about how gutted he is to leave and it was tough. I genuinely thought he'd stay, realising he could finish what he started here and go onto a much better job than the one hes headed for, which makes me feel all the more let down.

2. People slagging Jackie Mac off are out of order. He stayed a good while including through the financial rationalisation period, and along wirh the latest Board gas worked damn hard to improve things, often despite a fair amount of fans saying he's clueless and / or lacks passion. He's also created one of the best teams we've had with an average player wage if 250-300 quid a week. We should be saying a massive thank you tobyhe man.

Sorry, he walked out halfway through the job. And perhaps - possibly - has fecked the rest of our season as our boat gets royally rocked. If I came round to repaint your bathroom, quit after two walls because your next door neighbour offered me a bit of cash to do up his lavatory ... and left paint flecks on your carpet for you to clean up ... and I wouldn't be expecting thanks and a slap on the back.

First job offer he gets and he's gone. Enjoy him United, because he'll dump you as soon as he sniffs another chance. Adios, thanks for half a season and a few good home results.

So, should United fans be worried at their Club taking on a manager who has shown he's quite happy to leave a job only partially done if he's successful?

Well there's folk on here suggesting we go for Ian Murray.

Re our Murray, I've seen him helping out Archie with the reserves (nearly all youth players). So I'd expect he'd be asked to assist in the short term if he's shown interest in coaching..

@ sussexjag

Blind faith and optimism is what keeps most football fans going. Most Jags fans are only too aware Mr. McNamara showed great potential and proved to be a real asset to Thistle. But to think we should be thanking him for walking away and leaving us in what you recognise as being a difficult position is ridiculous.

Would you thank a plumber who fitted your bath and baisin beautifully but left you with an unplumbed cludgie?

THE JOB HE STARTED IS NOT EVEN HALF DONE YET!

It might be "what happens in football", that contracts, commitment, or loyalty rarely matter. Most fans, the people who pay the wages, stand by a club. Players and managers hypocritically choose when it's about passion, love, teamwork or selfish ambition and finance.

We hoped not, but suspected Jackie might move on at some stage. Yes he did alot of good at Firhill, and hopefully that good will be built on and prosper, but Jackie has chosen not to help with that. He has chosen to beat it when we could still benefit from his stewardship. We ain't worth it to him anymore.

Thanks Jackie, F**kity bye now.... Ya c**t!

Edited by ChewinGumMacaroonBaaaz
  • Like 1

I'm not convinced jackie will be an early success at united. Yep done a great job with us but still reckon him tactically a bit short and not sure he knows how to set out a team on the road. It's a big move for someone who hasn't proven himself over the course of this full season. Still best of luck to him and thanks for giving us great moments.

Sorry, he walked out halfway through the job. And perhaps - possibly - has fecked the rest of our season as our boat gets royally rocked. If I came round to repaint your bathroom, quit after two walls because your next door neighbour offered me a bit of cash to do up his lavatory ... and left paint flecks on your carpet for you to clean up ... and I wouldn't be expecting thanks and a slap on the back.

First job offer he gets and he's gone. Enjoy him United, because he'll dump you as soon as he sniffs another chance. Adios, thanks for half a season and a few good home results.

There's no reason why you can't do both jobs in your scenario.

Do you have a carpet in your bathroom?

• Like 1

For me it's not about McNamara leaving as our away form is terrible, it's the potential loss of consistency.

If we bring in someone with good ideas who can keep our home form going and make us more solid away we will win the league and McNamara will be quickly forgotten about.

So it's important we don't penny pinch and employ another Tommy Bryce, Britton / Whyte, Murdo McLeod, Gerry Collins.

It's down to Beattie and what he does.

For me it's not about McNamara leaving as our away form is terrible, it's the potential loss of consistency.

If we bring in someone with good ideas who can keep our home form going and make us more solid away we will win the league and McNamara will be quickly forgotten about.

So it's important we don't penny pinch and employ another Tommy Bryce, Britton / Whyte, Murdo McLeod, Gerry Collins.

It's down to Beattie and what he does.

Good points there. If the Board offers a similar salary as JM was getting, there'll be no shortage of candidates. There's no need to pay bigger money, as there are no guarantees that it'll be worth it. I'm guessing that JM will make more in 2.5 years at Tannadice than he would in 5 years at Firhill, so I can understand him jumping ship. Will he be a success? That of course remains to be seen.

We can speculate on Jackie's terms at Firhil. He was probably getting paid £30k at Firhill then after his new contract it would be pushed nearer the £50k mark, imo. At Tannadice he would probably double that amount. Bottom line he will be getting about double his money at Utd.

Says I sir. Says I. I bet at Celtic and Wolves he would have been on £5000 a week and lets be conservative and say that's win bonus and appearance money.. That's £260000 a year. x that for 10 years and he would have done alright.

If I recall rightly, wasn't he done out of a testimonial, or was pumped by the Tims in respect of some sizeable financial benefit he should've had from them? And wasn't it that which resulted in him buggering off to Wolves? Just curious and not contradicting what you've said above.

I hope he does end up at Porkheid and becomes a derisory failure there, if only to avenge the way they treated him.

• Like 1

Given the compensation question seems to have induced screaming abdabs elsewhere on the forum, I'm intrigue to know how you know what the club's arrangements with Jackie were, Jaggernaut.

Sorry, McK, but I have no knowledge whatsoever about the club's arrangements with JM were. I'm just guessing that the arabs will probably double his wages, with generous bonuses etc.