Mcnamara

GrantB

I think we could do worse than put young Craigen in as a replacement for the suspended Bannigan.

Craigen deserves a start and Bannigan could benefit from a wee rest.

Archie does have Murray as another option but he appears to be out of favour.

I have no problem with Jags players going on to earn more cash than they would with us or leaving to play at a higher level.

I do have a problem with our former manager coming in at a time when all our players focus needs to be on the league /Ramsdens Cup and unsettling them. What is to say that a player then starts to think 'what if I get injured playing for Thistle, could this put my move in doubt?' and start giving less than 100%. Not for one second am I suggesting Paton would do this but with some players, you never know.

McNamara is a snake and can :censor: right off in my eyes.

• Like 3

Without meaning to demean Paul Paton, I'm not sure the Dundee Utd fans will be over enamoured with this.

If it had been Aaron Muirhead, Stephen O'Donnell or Aaron Sinclair they may be thinking that they're getting a good young player with potential but what does Paton offer?

Not 10+ goals a season like Cairney (who's out the Hibs picture just now), not as skilful as Harkins (who's out of favour at Killie due to a 'disagreement' with Shiels & again playing for a 1st Div team in everything but name).

He offers 100% every time he steps on the park but hardly going to thread that killer ball from midfield & in the holding role been caught a few times in 1st Div this season - Livingston away one that immediately springs to mind.

I have absolutely no issues with Paul, or any of current squad moving on as wages elsewhere being better than offered at Firhill & we all know the whole game short of cash just now so you have to take it while you can! It's just I can't see Paton making the step up more effectively than previous two examples.

Of course, maybe it says more about the task MacNamara has ahead of him that he's looking to boost a squad likely to be without Russell, Mackay-Steven & Daly to name 3, at start of next season, the former two bringing in considerable transfer fees & the last freeing up a good wage. But in boosting that squad he's having to look at established 1st Div players.

See you next year.

We wouldn't have as much difficulty in replacing Paton as we would have with the others like Balatoni, Muirhead, SOD, Sinclair, Bannigan, Lawless, Erskine and Welsh. Combative midfielders like Paton are a dime a dozen in Scotland.

If he wants to leave then aw ra best to him.

We do need to get the rest signed up as soon as possible.

I know he's out injured duh! I meant if a player was so badly injured he couldn't attend for medical reasons

He's injured so does not have to go to games, I assume. I'm not sure what you are getting het up about, tbh(to be honest)?

He's injured so does not have to go to games, I assume. I'm not sure what you are getting het up about, tbh(to be honest)?

not getting het up at all. somebody made the comment that Paton turns up for games even when not fit to play as if it was something wonderful, I only commented that I would expect all 1st team players to turn up for all games, fit or not. Is that too much to be expected?

not getting het up at all. somebody made the comment that Paton turns up for games even when not fit to play as if it was something wonderful, I only commented that I would expect all 1st team players to turn up for all games, fit or not. Is that too much to be expected?

i am impressed so even when you are ill you get up and go to work just to watch the rest of your co-workers ......your the man :thumbsup::innocent2::tongue2:

Will Bannigan get a rest given he's in the Scotland u21s?

I don't think he'll be playing until a week on Saturday. Then again if he doesn't get any game time on Monday he may be added to the squad for Kirkcaldy?(sorry losing track of revised fixtures)

Paul Paton may not have a great number of assists this season but that isn't important. Nor is it his main job in the team.

I'd love to see a statistic with the number of killer passes which set up another player, who then went on to provide an assist for one of our goals. Or, the number of 50/50 challenges he was made which was pivotal in starting one of our counter attacks which lead to us scoring. These are why he has been one of the most important players in our team this season.

I'll hold my hands up and admit I lost faith and didn't want him back at Firhill, after his red card at Starks Park last season. What he himself has achieved this season has been nothing short of exceptional. If he is fit he has to play in my eyes. We missed him terribly in the first half vs Dumbarton two weeks ago. With these away games coming up, which are going be real battles then he gives us that strength and dig in the middle of the park.

Edited by northernsoul

Paul Paton may not have a great number of assists this season but that isn't important. Nor is it his main job in the team.

I'd love to see a statistic with the number of killer passes which set up another player, who then went on to provide an assist for one of our goals.

That's exactly what Gordon Strachan pointed out when describing what Nakamura brought to the t ims. And he wasn't a bad player!

PS: Check your Bank of Scotland £20 notes. See the wee photo in the top right corner of three guys who helped build the Forth Bridge? The one in the middle, in the "0": Japanese!

Edited by Jaggernaut

I have no problem with Jags players going on to earn more cash than they would with us or leaving to play at a higher level.

I do have a problem with our former manager coming in at a time when all our players focus needs to be on the league /Ramsdens Cup and unsettling them. What is to say that a player then starts to think 'what if I get injured playing for Thistle, could this put my move in doubt?' and start giving less than 100%. Not for one second am I suggesting Paton would do this but with some players, you never know.

McNamara is a snake and can :censor: right off in my eyes.

My sig tells you I am no fan of JMc, but seriously .... He has spotted a player that could improve his current squad and could be available and you think he should give his opponents a chance to get in first because it might unsettle his previous side.

Get real. This is a cut throat business and in this instance he is only doing his job.

My sig tells you I am no fan of JMc, but seriously .... He has spotted a player that could improve his current squad and could be available and you think he should give his opponents a chance to get in first because it might unsettle his previous side.

Get real. This is a cut throat business and in this instance he is only doing his job.

There is a time and a place for this. it's the business end of the season, we have 2 trophies to play for and McNamara (a man who couldn't stay to finish the job he started) is now trying to unsettle our players. He, of all people, should know better and have a bit of respect. It's not even as if Paton was one of his signings.

• Like 2

There is a time and a place for this. it's the business end of the season, we have 2 trophies to play for and McNamara (a man who couldn't stay to finish the job he started) is now trying to unsettle our players. He, of all people, should know better and have a bit of respect. It's not even as if Paton was one of his signings.

^^Bang on. I spoke to McN after what turned out to be his last game in charge. He completely played dumb about heading to Tannadice as he is entilied to do. He then pops up at our game at East End Park rubbing it in like he hadn't seen the players enough but as he's entiled to do. He now throws a spanner into the works all the way from Dungdee at arguably our most important series of matches in recent history with this pre-contract shenanigans again as he is entilted to do.

I harboured no ill feeling when he first departed, only dissapointment but given the above manouverings he has went seriously down in my estimations. He is someone I have lost respect for as he is clearly not influenced or guided by moral considerations......as I am entitled to do.

• Like 3

^^Bang on. I spoke to McN after what turned out to be his last game in charge. He completely played dumb about heading to Tannadice as he is entilied to do. He then pops up at our game at East End Park rubbing it in like he hadn't seen the players enough but as he's entiled to do. He now throws a spanner into the works all the way from Dungdee at arguably our most important series of matches in recent history with this pre-contract shenanigans again as he is entilted to do.

I harboured no ill feeling when he first departed, only dissapointment but given the above manouverings he has went seriously down in my estimations. He is someone I have lost respect for as he is clearly not influenced or guided by moral considerations......as I am entitled to do.

100% agree. And I get the feeling that Paul Paton feels this is only a distraction as he's alluded to on his Twitter page by saying things like "#signedforno1". As GrantB says, there's a time and a place, but I think McNamara has exercised poor judgement to offer the pre-contract now, and that includes from both Dundee United and Paul's perspective as he's unlikely to sign.

Edited by simoncordiner

Couple of things.

Considering a good number of people, probably including this that are lauding him just now, were on Paton's back last season about him not using his right foot and diving in etc when playing right back I find it strange they're getting tetchy now.

I made the point for his assists and stand by it. Paton is an ok player who gives 100% every time he pulls on a Thistle jersey. Mind you, so did guys like Brian Hamilton, Billy McDonald & Jimmy Gibson in recent years and look at the stick they got.

Paul's platying in a successful team and deserves the accolades and move that'll come his way. However if you ask me who'd be the most difficult to replace in next year's midfield i wouldn't say Paul Paton.

As an aside. The Dundee Utd table not the only offer on the table for him.

Good luck to him.

Considering a good number of people, probably including this that are lauding him just now, were on Paton's back last season about him not using his right foot and diving in etc when playing right back I find it strange they're getting tetchy now.

I find it strange that you would compare Paul playing right back with the position he plays now. Anyone can see he's a far better central midfielder than right back. Paul no longer plays right back for us. And Dundee United are not looking to sign Paul as a right back, so I think this is a moot point.

We obviously all rate players differently, but I think Paul could do a job in the SPL. I'd like to see him remain at the club. And if he does have pre-contract offers and he chooses not to take them up, at least before the title is decided, then he's got the kind of leadership and morale fibre that I would like to think is befitting of the kind of guy we want to be captain of our club.

Edited by simoncordiner