Players Who Recently Left Us For "better" Things....

Jaggernaut

I know money's important but especially in the case of Tuffey, is that all that matters?

If he doesn't get a decent team this summer, where he's 1st choice, he's going to need to go down the leagues (either here or in England) to get a number 1 spot & work his way up again.

I wouldn't want to look back on my career if I was a footballer & think, well I earned a little more money but didn't actually achieve what I could have.

Tuffey would have to go to League Two or the Blue Square Premier to get a game in England. He could be better off in Ireland.

I think in Tuffeys case, he was told he had to play in a higher league than division 1 which is why he went to ICT. Unfortunately for him, he wasn't quite good enough for them.

Which he probably would have done had he stayed with us for a further season. Very short sighted, must have known he was going to ICT as 2nd choice.

I don't recall anyone on a Jags website that was glad to see the departure of Harkins, Tuffey, Buchanan, Boyle or Twaddle. On their best Thistle performances every one of them could've done us credit this season. My opinion.is their consistency of best performances falls short of our their counterparts in the present squad who have been on top of their game almost on a weekly.basis.

Going only on the circumstantial I could only imagine Harkins & Tuffey would join Cairney as ex Jags that could return to Firhill and do the biz.

If I remember correctly (a highly unlikely occurrence), one of the big factors in Buchanan's departure was the view that he was struggling to regain the form he'd shown prior to his troublesome groin problems; many (myself included) believed he was, in effect, done.

Got to say that during Liam's better times with us, he pulled us out the merde on more than one occasion. Just my opinion.

Did Tommy Stewart not leave saying he was disappointed at the lack of ambition at the club and that he thought we'd be challenging for the league, when really we were finishing mid table? Or something like that.

Wonder if he's been following our progress this season ...

• Like 1

Liam Buchanan? That would be the player who wasn't getting a regular game in our first team and who we gave a free transfer to, hardly leaving in the same circumstances as the other names listed.

That's a load of bolloc ks...at the time no one wanted him to go..fans and staff but we couldnt afford him...to be fair neither could dunfermline :D

Probably worth another punt but we are pretty sorted up front just now

Edited by Chicofan

...Any player, as soon as the leave thistle, is the enemy.

I kinda see it that way, too. Some exceptions, though: I could never do anything other than like Gerry, for example - even when he was scoring against us for Dundee and Dunfermline. Really shouldn't be admitting this one, but for me Hardie also falls into that "once a Jag..." bracket. Yeh, I know, you can stoop no lower than playing for Airdrie, Killie, Dunfermline & Morton - and being a nasty and very effective big fkr for each - but I just can't see past that squinty grin and his glorious pretending-to-w*nk-off-a-corner-flag celebrations...

mite not be the right thread to fling this in but thought it was rather amusing :happy2:

http://en.wikipedia....i/Steven_Lennon

A boy whose head was turned early. Career of Eight seasons. Only 19 appearances in total for ,I think, five different clubs. Why was he so highly rated - because he once scored 3 against the Celtic youth team? To be fair, seems to be exceptionaly injury prone.

Guest fredthecheesecloth

Can I please point out that Stevie Lennon's nickname was made by me! And well peddled by my good friend überteeb.

Thanks for your support Gareth, we did it!

Why was he so highly rated

Lennon had pace and played in that wide attacking role. I feel that's the position where youngsters develop earliest and, if they can add goals (probably more due to that pace than any natural goalscoring ability), they're first team ready provided they've also got maturity. Lennon I believe ticked the right boxes but left the maturity one blank.

The ugly sisters because of their relative wealth (well a year or so ago anyway) could afford to sign a multitude of youngsters who show raw talent. Instead of fully developing those kids themselves they pack them off on loan on what's an effectively make or break exercise. We and other clubs have been a bit guilty as well.

Seems to me it's usually the wide attackers, the players who have to mature physically the least that we get less change out of. The likes of Lennon, Slane, Adam Strachan and the Willie McLarens of this world most probably had enough raw talent to do well out the game but will be regretting their lack of professionalism now,

Edited by lady-isobel-barnett

Have we ever had anyone decent come on loan to us from the OF? They always come with an attitude problem.

Hutton had the occasional good game then threw the toys out the pram after Culter. He's hardly been great in the 3rd for Sevco.

I was happy enough with Billy Gibson's contributions. Can't really think of anyone else right now though.

As much as I love our current team, Harkins would walk into our first 11. He would probably walk into most starting 11s in the SPL too, it's an absolute mystery to me why he chose to move to Dundee in January when he could no doubt have got a much better move.

NO and why would he? don't think (as good as he is/was) he is any better than we have at the moment.