Never Turned Up!

Metzmagic

Hard to see any xenophobia in the comment you replied to, and you missed the actual point by a country mile to go on babbling about tartan and Scottish passports.

It wasn't the English flag it was the connotations that go along with it - being Glaswegian and living with the history of Rangers and Celtic. You want want someone to blame for the negativity a lot of people felt - blame the Old Firm.

With apologies if I've picked you up wrong mate and agree 100% with what you say about the Old Firm. I had the very good fortune to retire to the post-game event at Pivo Pivo for an alternative night - Counterfeit Clash and, despite the score, this was great night with a mix of Thistle fans enjoying the music. At this event I banged into a few Spurs fans and most appeared to be of the Mod / casual variety (sub-cultures abound in our ranks). All the guys indicated that they were just up for the game and had a soft spot for Thistle as their Scottish team. They seeemed happy to have a weekend out and no hints of violence (as far as I could see).

What I'd picked up on in your earlier post was that it was the flag of St George that had caused offence - added to that references to Spurs and a Mod roundel. I read into your post that it was Thistle for for Scots fans only; which I fully accept is an absurd notion and one that I trust you'd agree with. With apologies also for blabbering on about Scottishness and passports - I was on a roll and when I get going there's no stopping me. Blabbering is what I do best :hypocrite:

Closing point - unrelated to any of this, is to thank the guys who ran the Star and Garter bus for a great day and a big shout out to the bar staff for putting on such a great spread! Great day out, sh*te score.

Edited by Meister Jag
  • Like 1

A few teams have done this to us this season (or at least this half of the season). Why are the players not ready for this with a plan B. If you double up on some players there must be space left for others in other parts of the pitch...we really should work on this because Morton will no doubt be doing it.

I think it is because we play with a front 3 rather than 2 out and out wingers, there is nobody out wide behind the players that press the full backs, this leads to a ball back in to Muirhead or Balatoni and when they get pressed and can't go back to the full backs they aimlessly launch it up the park. I'm sure there is a fix and lets hope Archie finds it by Wednesday because it has been obvious in the last 2 games that we struggle to deal with it.

• Members

The difference on Wednesday will be that Morton will have to come to win. Raith and QOS were happy just to not be beaten. Totally different set of circumstances for Wednesday and the team should be chosen to reflect that. I'd have Murray back in if he's fit.

The difference on Wednesday will be that Morton will have to come to win. Raith and QOS were happy just to not be beaten. Totally different set of circumstances for Wednesday and the team should be chosen to reflect that. I'd have Murray back in if he's fit.

Fit? He hasn't played in how many weeks? He wasn't the quickest when he played a run of games, no chance will he be match fit & with that lack of fitness he could be late for a tackle etc...

As I understand it, a few Spurs fans travelled up to support Thistle; so I don't see why the flag should have caused offence. Never heard any Spurs songs being sung; whatever they are and, TBH, I don't know any! But nice of them to come join the party and it's a shame it all went flat.

I thought the flag was bang out! Very good if spurs fans have travelled up to see the game and support us, but supporting doesn't involve putting up a flag for a completely irrelevant team on top of an England flag when it's scottish clubs playing. If they wanted to support us they could have put up a thistle one. It nearly put me off enjoying the pre match atmosphere and it won't have looked good for us on the telly.

Edited by Spud1971

Whatever pleases you mate. Fact is they came up to support Thistle and that happens to be their flag. I'm not a fan of the so-called casuals but did speak to one or two in a boozer after the game and they seemed fine. To be honest, I've a spot spot for Spurs and try to get down once or twice a season - similar soft spot for Ajax. Of Engerlish teams, Spurs in particular have nothing in common with the far-right elements in English football. In fact they are hated by most clubs. You'll maybe remember west Ham fans and their hissing noises to denote the gas chambers at Auschwitz etc.

To be honest, I find your comments quite xenophobic and not really what i'd expect from a Jags fan. next time you're at a game listen for a few moments and I'm sure you'll hear many English accents. After recent events, to be hopefully joined by a few welsh fans who seemed to enjoy the atmosphere. But not for you, you'll be asking for proof of place of birth and Scotashness!!

Closing point is that the casuals get singled out for things they don't really do i.e. was there any trouble yesterday? I understand a few Aberdeen fans came down to support us - gather it's the Thistle in the middle thing; but no mention of them. And what of the sizable Mod contingent who lead the singing? Do you not like them either? Not enough tartan army outfits? I despair!

It seems YOU are easily pleased mate. So you spoke to a nice casual in a pub who seemed fine therefore we should just ignore the whole casual culture which historically has got nothing to do with football and more to do with aggro. If they are there to lend their support why leave such a tightly balanced game well before the end? Was the action they were looking for not up to scratch? It's nothing to do with being English. Had Aberdeen casuals put up their banner that too would have been unacceptable or how about a big banner with Rangers/Chelsea? Don't be so naive, the connotations are obvious as well documented in other posts. Thistle fans should distance themselves from this contingent completely.

The club will probably get fined

and are the idiots that invaded the park gonna chip in and pay it....thought not!!. We had over 6000 fans there yesterday and about 100 idiots felt the need to run on to the park like stupid wee weans, so who are the clowns? The 5900 that celebrated the same way as we do every time we score a goal, or 100 attention seekers that are probably gonna cost the club money that it can ill afford to pay???

Edited by Lindau

It seems YOU are easily pleased mate. So you spoke to a nice casual in a pub who seemed fine therefore we should just ignore the whole casual culture which historically has got nothing to do with football and more to do with aggro. If they are there to lend their support why leave such a tightly balanced game well before the end? Was the action they were looking for not up to scratch? It's nothing to do with being English. Had Aberdeen casuals put up their banner that too would have been unacceptable or how about a big banner with Rangers/Chelsea? Don't be so naive, the connotations are obvious as well documented in other posts. Thistle fans should distance themselves from this contingent completely.

Read my post again. I was in no way condoning football hooligans - I've been about long enough to have seen the so-called casual firms in action; to include those of the Thistle variety. Wasn't my thing then and certainly not my thing now. Point I was trying to make (badly) was that the fans (best term I can use) I spoke to were up to support Thistle and claimed to have been to few games; that's all I can report back - if you know better then I bow to your superior knowledge and feel free to tell of their plans to riot etc. As far as I'm aware, nothing happened involving the Spurs fans and the young fans who ran onto the park were most definitely our young, erm, casuals. I see them week in week out at games.

With regard to the Spurs casuals leaving early, to be quite honest I missed this as I was too busy watching the game and trying to get the team to raise their game. A pointless exercise given how we played yesterday. But if you and a few others were transfixed by a few Londoners in our ranks then your call. For reasons unknown, the protocol among casuals has always been to leave en mass before the end of a game. Is this to draw attention to themselves? Who knows and who cares.

With regard to the relevance of Spurs, there's been a suggestion that there are some tenuous links between the clubs and, based on my discussions with the "nice" young Spurs fans, they do travel to a few games; including the Celtic pre-season friendly. They probably tried to pick a game where the crowd would be half-decent. I don't know!

Returning to the nice young casual I spoke to, he was actually a Mod; but maybe some of his chums were more casual like in appearance. They were very smart but I didn't check the labels on their clothing. But I do agree that there should be NO place for football hooligans at Firhill. Will we ever get rid of those who enjoy causing trouble - and I include a few Thistle fans in this category, probably not. This problem goes way back to times well before the casuals and in this respect we've not been saints. Indeed, is one of our songs not a dedication to a past victory at Tynecastle? Don't think that one ever involved casuals; just hooligans of the drunken variety; and back then, I was probably as daft as the rest. I don't claim perfection; just near perfection.

Hope this clarifies matters...

Edited by Meister Jag

and are the idiots that invaded the park gonna chip in and pay it....thought not!!. We had over 6000 fans there yesterday and about 100 idiots felt the need to run on to the park like stupid wee weans, so who are the clowns? The 5900 that celebrated the same way as we do every time we score a goal, or 100 attention seekers that are probably gonna cost the club money that it can ill afford to pay???

Is it that much of a big deal? How big is a fine for this kind of thing and how often are teams actually fined for it?

Is it that much of a big deal? How big is a fine for this kind of thing and how often are teams actually fined for it?

So you think its no big deal to invade a football pitch, face up to the opposing goalkeeper (who in the paper today said he was shitting himself when he saw Thistle fans approach him after the goal) and aim taunts and V signs at the opposing fans??

I give up!!

A fine is automatic, will probably be more as a result of the fan(dan) who got up close and personal with the QoS players. Even if it's four figures that's a big deal if you're one of our £200 a week guys and it's been top sliced out of the title win bonus.

Edited by John Blutarsky

True; however Morton may feel that their best chance of a victory is to follow the same 'not to be beaten' tactics of pressing the opposition, doubling up on our full backs, etc.

Read my post again. I was in no way condoning football hooligans - I've been about long enough to have seen the so-called casual firms in action; to include those of the Thistle variety. Wasn't my thing then and certainly not my thing now. Point I was trying to make (badly) was that the fans (best term I can use) I spoke to were up to support Thistle and claimed to have been to few games; that's all I can report back - if you know better then I bow to your superior knowledge and feel free to tell of their plans to riot etc. As far as I'm aware, nothing happened involving the Spurs fans and the young fans who ran onto the park were most definitely our young, erm, casuals. I see them week in week out at games.

With regard to the Spurs casuals leaving early, to be quite honest I missed this as I was too busy watching the game and trying to get the team to raise their game. A pointless exercise given how we played yesterday. But if you and a few others were transfixed by a few Londoners in our ranks then your call. For reasons unknown, the protocol among casuals has always been to leave en mass before the end of a game. Is this to draw attention to themselves? Who knows and who cares?

Returning to the nice young casual I spoke to, he was actually a Mod; but maybe some of his chums were more casual like. I didn't check the labels on their clothing. But I do agree that there should be NO place for football hooligans at Firhill. Will we ever get rid of those who enjoy causing trouble - and I include a few Thistle fans in this category, probably not.

Hope this clarifies matters...

I do accept that you are not condoning football hooligans at games and glad that you emphasised that point of view. For myself, I reiterate the point that whilst welcoming anyone who wishes to come along and genuinely support the Jags we should still be vigilant against the rogue element and that means not lamely accepting any banner being unfurled particularly on national TV (42 years from now). Again, would people have been so relaxed if a banner from either side of the OF was draped over an exit simply because they had a soft spot for the Jags. I don't think so? But I am sure your conversation with with the young Mod was fine and hope you were able to drown your sorrows like the rest of us.

I think saying we never turned up is harsh. Queens played well and did not let us play our passing game and they had two or three on Sinclair and SOD when they got the ball. As other has said above this should have meant space opening up in other areas but we could not take advantage of this. SOD really did struggle but I though Sinclair did okay given how tightly he was marked.

We missed Paton in midfield, his passing and tacking would have made a big difference. Archie is spot on again with his post-match comments; we did not pass the ball well enough. Surprised at some of the comment about Sean Welsh, he was the only midfield player who did pass the ball well. He made a few bad errors giving the ball away but was the only who passed the ball with any intelligence in the midfield before Forbes came on. Ross was outstanding when he came on and nearly won the game for us. I thought Craigen worked very hard for us in midfield but his delivery from corners was poor.

Queens are a good side and think they are not far behind us and Morton. Disappointed not to win because I thought we have the better players but Allan Johnston did get his tactics spot on.

The ref really did bottle sending off Robinson for his antics at the penalty shootout, he repeatedly warned him and he just continued to play act.

The pitch invasion is just one of those things that can happen in football, nobody was hurt and I think the polis handled it well; they just let the stewards calm it down and let it go. Couple of people lucky not to get lifted for gesturing at the queen’s support and the Queens Goal keeper though.

Edited by Alan Murray

SOD really did struggle but I though Sinclair did okay given how tightly he was marked.

I said at the time that they might go in on Sinclair with a 'reducer' early in the match. And so it came to pass. I've noticed a few teams deploy this to the desired effect. Hope he's flying on Wednesday as he had a hand in both goals against Morton last time out.

I though Queens lacked some real quality or the game would have been over in the first half. Although their work ethic was fantastic.

They all looked very fresh. If this game was in November and we hadn't had to play all these games recently I'm sure Thistle would've won quite easily.

I'd be surprised if Queens finish in the top 3 next season.

I do accept that you are not condoning football hooligans at games and glad that you emphasised that point of view. For myself, I reiterate the point that whilst welcoming anyone who wishes to come along and genuinely support the Jags we should still be vigilant against the rogue element and that means not lamely accepting any banner being unfurled particularly on national TV (42 years from now). Again, would people have been so relaxed if a banner from either side of the OF was draped over an exit simply because they had a soft spot for the Jags. I don't think so? But I am sure your conversation with with the young Mod was fine and hope you were able to drown your sorrows like the rest of us.

Take your point mate and, result aside, a great day out that involved superb transport to the game courtesy of the S&G guys (superb effort and thanks from this end), great atmosphere (courtesy of the Jags fans and a few others - and I include two guys I met who I haven't seen at games in over ten years!) and a fine buffet at the pub upon return (much needed at that time of night!). The only thing missing was a cup win and in this respect, Q of the S deserved their win (IMO). The night time bash at Pivo was organised by a Jags fan and was just a great way to round off the day and good to see so many Jags fans in attendance. Do The Clash and Thistle walk hand-in-hand? Probably!

I close on an upbeat note by saying that I honestly don't think that the hooligan element will ever get a strong foothold at Firhill. But having said that, I don't think we'll ever totally lose them either. In my view there are too many decent fans of all ages who follow the Jags so this year's crop of casuals will always be marginalised. For the next game I'd plans to take my top off for the full 90-mins but fear a 'Newcastle supporters follow the Jags' backlash; nothing to do with my beer-belly and man t*ts. :thumbsup2: Others may wish to take note!

I though Queens lacked some real quality or the game would have been over in the first half. Although their work ethic was fantastic.

They all looked very fresh. If this game was in November and we hadn't had to play all these games recently I'm sure Thistle would've won quite easily.

I'd be surprised if Queens finish in the top 3 next season.

We weren't at our best yesterday. We seemed very nervous. If we had played to our potential we would have seen you off quite easily. The first division has been poor this year. if you play that same team in the SPL you will come straight back down.

We weren't at our best yesterday. We seemed very nervous. If we had played to our potential we would have seen you off quite easily. The first division has been poor this year. if you play that same team in the SPL you will come straight back down.

After seeing us in 1 game? Our 2 worst performances of the season have been yesterday & last midweek. Why? Probably fatigue with the amount of games we've played recently, this squad would not get relegated from the SPL. IF we do go up we won't have this squad though, some of our best players will leave, depends what replacements we get on how well we will do.