Budget Next Season

thebiglemon

Guest fredthecheesecloth

Few of the directors popped into the Star last night.

We had David Beattie up on the sofas at the back wearing a PTFC sunhat and joining in the songs.

Billy Allen was also present. Another very good guy. He noted that Thistle were aware of what United had offered Paton and Archi had been asked if he wanted to try to offer the same. Archie's response had been NO I can get you better for that money.

We will have budget for next year, and both David and Billy think we need 6 new players.

• Like 3

Billy Allen was also present. Another very good guy. He noted that Thistle were aware of what United had offered Paton and Archi had been asked if he wanted to try to offer the same. Archie's response had been NO I can get you better for that money.

There's two ways you can take that...

1) :wall: Archie, what have you done?

2) :worship: Yes Archie: confident, assured, sounds as if he's got an idea who he's after.

I went with the latter when reading that. I love Archie.

• Like 1

Heard the same story from a director as well. As much as I liked Paton, it will be interesting to see how he gets on being a small fish in a big pond. Not the kind of guy who will enjoy being benched.

We also joked that we'll get Paton and Erskine back when DU go into administration

120 spl players out of contract in the summer he told me so there will be plenty to choose from, definitely a buyers market.

He may have mentioned that promotion effectively doubles our turnover but that might be mince.

Edited by JobbyMahoney

Few of the directors popped into the Star last night.

We had David Beattie up on the sofas at the back wearing a PTFC sunhat and joining in the songs.

We will have budget for next year, and both David and Billy think we need 6 new players.

Could we have matched United's offer to Erskine? Will he be getting more than Paton?

c£60k for winning league this season.

c£800k even if we were to finish bottom next season.

Thistle asked Paton & Erskine to give the club the opportunity to respond to the offers that were made to them. The club could & would've matched their wages that DU offered- for the coming season- but they couldn't give them the 'security' of 3 year deals.

Heard the same story from a director as well. As much as I liked Paton, it will be interesting to see how he gets on being a small fish in a big pond. Not the kind of guy who will enjoy being benched.

We also joked that we'll get Paton and Erskine back when DU go into administration

120 spl players out of contract in the summer he told me so there will be plenty to choose from, definitely a buyers market.

He may have mentioned that promotion effectively doubles our turnover but that might be mince.

There will be a lot of players in the English leagues who will be looking for new clubs too. We may be able to get some loan players in.

Fully expect income streams like season tickets and gate receipts to increase and we should be able to get some more sponsorship as well. There will be the TV money and increased prize money (even if we finish bottom) also but costs will increase as well since existing players will be looking for an increase to sign new deals and new signings will be looking for the same sort of wages. We will also be spending some money on the stadium as mentioned in David Beattie's programme notes and we will be running 2 more youth teams plus hiring an under 20s coach. With us having an under 20s team we can't let Celtic use Firhill for their games so that income stream is gone. Don't know how the deal with Joma works in terms of whether we get the money made from merchandise sales.

The important thing is that we continue to operate on a break even model and take this opportunity to further reduce the debt by as much as possible whilst remaining competitive on the pitch.

Thistle asked Paton & Erskine to give the club the opportunity to respond to the offers that were made to them. The club could & would've matched their wages that DU offered- for the coming season- but they couldn't give them the 'security' of 3 year deals.

That is very interesting and bodes well for getting some half decent players in to boost the squad!!!

Edited by Lindau

c£60k for winning league this season.

c£800k even if we were to finish bottom next season.

Are they guaranteed the same money if Jackie and Sid get them relegated?

Think some of the cirticism of Dowie and McMillan is a bit ott. These guys have stepped in for key games - McMillan when we were down to 10 men away to Raith, Dowie at home to Morton and were pretty solid for 2 players playing their first games for a new club.

In the couple of games they have played both have even scored goals. Think we could do far far worse than have these 2 in the squad next season

• Like 1

That is very interesting and bodes well for getting some half decent players in to boost the squad!!!

I'm sure it will. I'd imagine a lot of 2 year contracts with either an exit clause or a wage drop clause should the worse happen.

Are they guaranteed the same money if Jackie and Sid get them relegated?

They'll be back t Firhill a year in August. ;)

I think something very important to the club which we can help is.

1.Season Tickets - even if you can't attend every game a season having this in the coffers is very beneficial to the clubs cashflow and lets them budgest what goes to the playing budget.

2.TAG - extra cash from this.

3.Centenary Fund - it's a relatively safe and static income stream. Would like the club to push this a bit more to get extra joiners.

I think something very important to the club which we can help is.

1.Season Tickets - even if you can't attend every game a season having this in the coffers is very beneficial to the clubs cashflow and lets them budgest what goes to the playing budget.

2.TAG - extra cash from this.

3.Centenary Fund - it's a relatively safe and static income stream. Would like the club to push this a bit more to get extra joiners.

For all the work required in the wooden main stand?? :P

I am sure that Erskine will struggle in the SPL, and will have to improve his game significantly if he wants to play regularly. Perhaps McNamara is better placed to actually bring him on. I don't know, but in all honesty I'm not devastated he's gone.

We all have an opinion but there are few players out there who can change a game with one moment of magic the way Erskine can. He is an entertainer, sadly to few about these days.

I am sure that Erskine will struggle in the SPL, and will have to improve his game significantly if he wants to play regularly. Perhaps McNamara is better placed to actually bring him on. I don't know, but in all honesty I'm not devastated he's gone.

I'm gutted.

I think we will very much miss him. His importance to the team was again shown on Saturday where he scored 1 goal and created 2.

SPL teams will be hard to break down and losing his ability to do something different and unexpected is a blow.

Saying that whether he'll succeed at DU is a different matter but IMO he's a better player that Mackay-Stevens who has pace but no end product.

• Like 1

I'm gutted.

I think we will very much miss him. His importance to the team was again shown on Saturday where he scored 1 goal and created 2.

SPL teams will be hard to break down and losing his ability to do something different and unexpected is a blow.

Saying that whether he'll succeed at DU is a different matter but IMO he's a better player that Mackay-Stevens who has pace but no end product.

You obviously haven't seen much of mackay-Stevens then I presume? Best young scottish player in SPL by a mile...

Erskine is good but remember who he was looking good against... I think he may struggle next year. Good luck to him though, just no against us!

He can't, on one hand, be our standout player(and a standout in the whole league) and on the other be likely to struggle in the SPL. It isn't logical. By that logic the whole squad would need replacing and no 1st division player could ever make the step up. If anyone can do it Erskine can.

And after what he's done for us I hope he does great at Dundee United and moves on to a big money move down south.

Although Erskine has been entertaining in the 5 years with us, this is the only year that he has been so influential. It may be a flash in the pan. I think it is a risk for DU. Paton, similarly has only been influential this year. We already have a few players who have played at SPL level( Murray,Lawless,Forbes, Dowie, McMillan) and at least one who will handle it with ease(Bannigan)