First Signing Today....

javeajag

A Jags player?

Graham would be a replacement for Craig.

Saints would be entitled to compensation for May.

Would they be entitled to compensation if they didn't offer him a new contract or does that not matter?

Yeah replacement for Craig and probably why he was let go. Wouldn't be surprised if the deal was done weeks ago but club/Archie kept it til end of season. He is at a good age as well

I'm pretty sure they must offer a contract but nothing to stop them offering something he's likely to knock back so they'll get compo. Of course the pay offered by the contract may determine amount of compo so if they don't want to keep him it may not be worth their while. Complicated but since we must have made decent money this year we may be willing to pay a wee bit for May.

Seems to me our first new signings will have to be 1st division guys like Graham - maybe also English 1st division players. These leagues are over now (apart from play-offs). We'll need to wait another couple of weeks until the SPL is over to see who we might be picking up released from clubs there. Of course for some clubs their season is effectively over now (Dundee, St Mirren, HIbs etc) so it's possible contact may be allowed with players before then.

Edited by Mr Bunny

Not overly excited about Graham. Hope we dont change our style and start to go long.

OK as a back up plan as long as Doolan signs on & starts the season as first choice.

I wouldnt think Graham is coming to be part of a back up plan. The fact that we are going for strikers right away (if story is true) makes me think Dools is offski

I'm pretty sure they must offer a contract but nothing to stop them offering something he's likely to knock back so they'll get compo. Of course the pay offered by the contract may determine amount of compo so if they don't want to keep him it may not be worth their while. Complicated but since we must have made decent money this year we may be willing to pay a wee bit for May.

Seems to me our first new signings will have to be 1st division guys like Graham - maybe also English 1st division players. These leagues are over now (apart from play-offs). We'll need to wait another couple of weeks until the SPL is over to see who we might be picking up released from clubs there. Of course for some clubs their season is effectively over now (Dundee, St Mirren, HIbs etc) so it's possible contact may be allowed with players before then.

I believe that you are right but Saints would be crazy not to offer May a contract. He would make a good squad player at the very least.

It's likely that Archie has identified his target SPL players. If they are out of contract (most likely), he will have been negotiating with their agents.

It will be interesting to see whether we get offers for our top players and if we knock them back.

but Saints would be crazy not to offer May a contract. He would make a good squad player at the very least.

Quite worrying in a way if the likes of May isn't deemed good enough for St Johnstone.

As for Graham I'd wait to see what our eventual striking set up is before any concern over whether he's a good addition or not.

I believe that you are right but Saints would be crazy not to offer May a contract. He would make a good squad player at the very least.

It's likely that Archie has identified his target SPL players. If they are out of contract (most likely), he will have been negotiating with their agents.

It will be interesting to see whether we get offers for our top players and if we knock them back.

Considering May is still pretty young you are probably quite right. I was just rambling a bit going over possibilities.

Archie has been quoted he thought what the club did last year in getting most of our players signed up early was a good thing. So I'd expect he wants to move quickly again this year. But for some players we'll still have to wait and see who's released.

I think BG is a decent signing. He was excellent in the 3-2 game.

I hope we just don't punt balls up to him.

Lomas speaks highly of May and under contract so I doubt anything will happen there.

IMO May wasn't great against us anyway. Most of his goal came against the diddy teams.

I'd love to see Harkins back at Firhill but Motherwell can offer him European football and I guess more money.

Hopefully he'll be an important player to have. He's unproven at SPL level - as a lot of our players are - but has a good scoring record in the First Division so it's a gamble worth taking I think. I'd like to see us sign another striker with SPL experience and get Doolan signed up too. Doolan, Graham, ex-SPL & McGuigan won't be a bad strike force. Certainly better than Ross County's and look at how they've done! Don't think they have a striker with 5 goals this season, do they?

But Dools is the one player I want to stay more than any other. Bloody love the guy.

Would also like him to stay but the guy I want to stay more than anybody is our top scorer Lawless. When he is on form he creates havoc.

• Like 1

I think BG is a decent signing. He was excellent in the 3-2 game.

I hope we just don't punt balls up to him.

Lomas speaks highly of May and under contract so I doubt anything will happen there.

IMO May wasn't great against us anyway. Most of his goal came against the diddy teams.

I'd love to see Harkins back at Firhill but Motherwell can offer him European football and I guess more money.

May's contract with Saints expires in June according to Sky Sports. He scored a lot of league goals in a mediocre team - more than Doolan and Craig together.

The fact that May is still young enough that St Johnstone will get compensation provided they offer him a contract means him being out of contract is largely irrelevant. May being at the club for so long means the compensation due would be too much for us and you only have to look at Bradford being shafted recently to know the board won't risk going to a tribunal.