Neil Duffy Dies

ian_mac

Just been informed of the death of Neil Duffy.

Was lucky enough to meet the man many times in the Star & Garter where he was always fantastic company.

Alan Dickson often told me the story of how, on his wedding day, he decided that after the ceremony he wanted to play that afternoon's match against Hibs. Instead of having a traditional reception, the whole wedding party trooped in to the main stand and watched Neil score 2 goals in a fine victory over Hibs.

A Maryhill man. A Jags man.

RIP.

That is a real bummer. Great jags man and great to see him at the championship trophy presentation. He will be sadly missed. My late dad used to drool over Neils skills and I soon learned to love them as well....A Firhill legend. Duffy and McParland...two great left sided players of that jags era!

Edited by Lindau
  • Like 2

He told me that one of his biggest regrets was that the team didn't go on to win the league in 63. He said that players from various other teams in the league always made a point of saying that they played the best football in the league.

Just delighted that he had some recognition at the Dunfermline game. Wee Alan told me that he was a very proud man that day.

Very Sad to hear this - I would Like to thank Alan at the Star & Garter for his assistance in giving Neil a final bow in front of a packed Firhill - Neil was very ill but he managed a big smile - and thanks to our Fans for giving him a final send off - RIP Mr Duffy - a Thistle Legend.

Edited by Jordanhill Jag

Sad to hear this. Neil Duffy was my first Thistle hero but although I was too young then to have any judgement on players, from what I know he was probably a good choice - by all accounts he was a very good player with a bit of personality.

However my most vivid memory of him playing at Firhill is not a good one - I was about eight years of age and my father took me to see Thistle play St Johnstone. Neil had just been transferred to Saints and Thistle were cruising to a 2-0 victory with about 3 minutes to go...then Neil ran through Thistle's defence twice, scoring one and setting up the other.

I was traumatised for about a week. Probably nothing I've seen at Firhill since has made me feel worse.

many so many happy memories watching, with my gandfather, duffy and mcparland on the left wing

one of the games he attended last season after appearing at half time neil came walking up the steps i reached across and shook his hand and told him that he was by far and away one of the best thistle players that i had the pleasure to watch. neil gave me a big smile and he thanked me

memories wheres me hankie

So sad to hear about Nel Duffy. A star man in the greatest Thistle team in living memory.

Forgot to add, he always played a brammer against Celtic, they turned him down because he was too wee. RIP

Edited by canman

I would like to take this opportunity to say RIP to my beloved dad Murdie MacNicol who died on 14th May, just over a month ago...a passionate Jags man since 1937....he took me to my first Jags game when I was 6 months old in 1959...a few years later I remember Hainey, McParland, Ewing and Duffy amongst others. Great hazy memories for a wee boy. He and my grandpa gave their great love of Thistle to me. We moved to Whitburn in 1963 and the passion has continued ever since. Thank you dad...I miss you like crazy....we were champions when you died. Me and my sons and daughters will carry the Jags on for the family. Thistle for ever.

• Like 5

RIP Neil and Murdie

Neil was a legendto the club and thoughts go to his family at this very difficult time.

Thoughts also to you Whitburn mate and your family at what will be a very difficult time and I am sure your dad Murdie will be very proud of you and your family continuing to support his and our beloved Jags

Very sad to hear.

Virtually my first memory of a Jags game was a home game against that great Dundee side (the year they went on to win the league). We hammered them 3-0 and Neil scored two. Instant hero!

RIP

A great game - Bill Hainey and Neil took Ian Ure and company to the cleaners. Neil Duffy was the best inside left (remember?) in my time and that includes Willie Sharp. For a small man his heading ability was quite remarkable. I was convinced he would get a Scotland cap, but sadly it never happened. There was a guy called Denis Law who was even better!

I would like to take this opportunity to say RIP to my beloved dad Murdie MacNicol who died on 14th May, just over a month ago...a passionate Jags man since 1937....he took me to my first Jags game when I was 6 months old in 1959...a few years later I remember Hainey, McParland, Ewing and Duffy amongst others. Great hazy memories for a wee boy. He and my grandpa gave their great love of Thistle to me. We moved to Whitburn in 1963 and the passion has continued ever since. Thank you dad...I miss you like crazy....we were champions when you died. Me and my sons and daughters will carry the Jags on for the family. Thistle for ever.

You are from my era Whiburn. Ah the memories. John Freebairn, Hugh Tinney, Sandy Brown, John Harvey, Neil Duffy, Ernie Yard, Tommy Ewing, Davie McP, Billy Hainey Frank Donlevy, etc etc are all in my early memories . My dad said he took me to my first game as I was approaching 2. One of my earliest memories was a game at Cathkin where Jocky Robertson was in goal for the Hi-Hi but I have no recollection of my first Firhill game (shouldnt be surprised if I was only 2...lol) One record I am proud of is that I have been to every European competition game the club has ever played at Firhill. Wonder how many of us are left!!

Edited by Lindau