Transfer Targets

ForeverandEver

You think its fair to judge Boulding on the one game as a trialist. In what way was Boulding so much worse than say McGuigan and do you think McGuigan would be a far better player in the spl than Boulding, because I am far from convinced McGuigan would be.

Being a better player than McGuigan shouldn't be what we measure all our signings by otherwise we'd be in serious trouble.

I'm neither for or against signing Boulding so far but that's just ridiculous reasoning for signing players.

the lack of new signings is of some concern. so, too, is the fact that (unless i have missed something), lawless, balatoni and welsh have yet to agree to contract extensions. you can't help feel that lawless will be joining erskine and paton come 2014

I must say I am a bit surprised at some people being worried/concerned about the lack of signings at this time. I can honestly say, while I would've preferred more (decent) signings,I am NOT surprised by this. Finance is tight and it has been made fairly clear that Thistle wont put the club at financial peril again, just to stay in the top tier.

Certainly, Archie and Shaggy have both said that they want 6/7 players, but that wasn't promised.

No matter who we sign, we were always going to be in a tough battle to survive. Deservedly favourites to go down.

Now with Hearts starting 15 points behind we have a glorious chance to at least be in the play off position. If we don't at least get that, then we deserve to go down.

Erskine is just an irreplaceable player, so I think people saying we need to replace Erskine are being rather disingenuous, they are a rare type of player to find.

I trust Archie, in that he will sign players who HE thinks will better the squad. That's his remit and he is ultimately responsible for it. So he needs to do what he sees fit to do.

You think its fair to judge Boulding on the one game as a trialist. In what way was Boulding so much worse than say McGuigan and do you think McGuigan would be a far better player in the spl than Boulding, because I am far from convinced McGuigan would be.

I'm judging him on more than that of course. If you'd like to take a look at his career stats, you'll note that they are simply dreadful (http://www.soccerbas...player_id=45279). There's no point in comparing him to McGuigan, as that's a poor measure of the kind of criteria we should be looking for to sign players. Like McGuigan, Boulding (if signed) shouldn't be getting a look-in ahead of Doolan or even Baird. If we're looking for such bog-standard squad fodder, I'd much rather we used the lottery of giving an u20s player a shot. If this is to be the quality reflective of our other signing targets, then that is very worrying indeed.

I'm judging him on more than that of course. If you'd like to take a look at his career stats, you'll note that they are simply dreadful (http://www.soccerbas...player_id=45279). There's no point in comparing him to McGuigan, as that's a poor measure of the kind of criteria we should be looking for to sign players. Like McGuigan, Boulding (if signed) shouldn't be getting a look-in ahead of Doolan or even Baird. If we're looking for such bog-standard squad fodder, I'd much rather we used the lottery of giving an u20s player a shot. If this is to be the quality reflective of our other signing targets, then that is very worrying indeed.

14 goals in 27 starts (with 48 appearances as a sub) doesn't seem bad to me especially his 11 goals in 12 starts for Livi , he had 4 starts last year and scored 1 goal, my concern with him would be the lack of game time not his goal to game ratio

If this is to be the quality reflective of our other signing targets, then that is very worrying indeed.

I know what you're getting at but I don't necessarily see the significance. All we've done is given a guy a forty five minute trial. Are we that big a club that we'd ignore a player who only a few months ago was of interest to Kilmarnock & Dundee Utd? I'm sure Archie has a few players earmarked probably approached by now. If the quality is there and there's no fitness issues then he won't need to trial them. Not that there's anything tangible to go on but fellas like Hutton or Haining don't need to be looked over.

I realise it is tho' a bit frustrating having no signing news for the last three weeks. A known addition or two would likely have helped season ticket sales along. But, even if you scale down Shaggy's five or six new faces down to three or four, there's no need for concern.

I assume signing trialists will normally be the cheap option.If you're lucky and pick up one or two then that will leave more budget for signing "known" players. Hypothetically I'd rather see us take a punt on someone yet to convince like Boulding if it means we've more cash left to bring in a bit of quality in holding midfield or a direct replacement for Erskine.

14 goals in 27 starts (with 48 appearances as a sub) doesn't seem bad to me especially his 11 goals in 12 starts for Livi , he had 4 starts last year and scored 1 goal, my concern with him would be the lack of game time not his goal to game ratio

Well unless he was injured, the reason for the lack of starts is a manager's lack of faith in him being able to offer better than his other options. On that basis, he's not rated that highly. And surely you can't only count starts when considering his goals ratio unless you want to eliminate the goals he scored coming on fresher than those on the park.

Boulding is a pretty clinical finisher who two SPL sides have considered good enough to sign. For reasons which appear to be non-football related, he didn't get much of an opportunity at Kilmarnock whereas at United, he arguably scored the most important goal of their season. Add in the fact that he finished joint fourth top scorer in the First Division in 2011/12, is still quite young at 24, has a bit of height about him and will have a point to prove next season, he wouldn't be the worst signing in the world. I agree that there are others that would perhaps be slightly more inspiring but I really don't think he's deserving of the doom merchant synopses on his career to date.

• Like 1

Yes I know it was only pre season however on Saturday Rory did not show us anything that would say he would be suitable for us and the SPl

Sorry that is a football judgement

At the same time I don't think the guy showed anything that would say he wasn't SPL material. Repeating myself I know but you usually learn very little playing a trialist striker unless he misses chance after chance. I don't recall the guy getting any real service the 45 minutes he was on. I'm not saying we should sign him but there's no way anyone could judge the player on that 45mins.

Yes I know it was only pre season however on Saturday Rory did not show us anything that would say he would be suitable for us and the SPl

:lol:

Looks like we've found Bobby Dinnie's replacement.

You've had 45 minutes in a bounce(fitness) game, sorry but it's a no from me. :sarcastic:

:D Seriously?

If you were to scout all our players over two games on Airdrie's plastic pitch last season how many would you have signed?

None of them looked like they could trap a bag of cement those games & they were through the season not bounce games to get fitness up.

:D Seriously?

If you were to scout all our players over two games on Airdrie's plastic pitch last season how many would you have signed?

None of them looked like they could trap a bag of cement those games & they were through the season not bounce games to get fitness up.

What I don't understand is why we choose to play pre season games on artificial surfaces.