Striking Solution

QueensXkid

What about trying this to give us an early goal and settle us into our rythym....Ive been impressed by Higgie's strength on the ball when he is hustled by opposing defenders, he seems to be able to brush them aside and create openings for himself in tight spaces, just what we need inside the box!Idont know if his sharpness is due to his english pre season training or not but right now he looks sharper than Dools .I have every faith that Dools will eventually start hitting the net but right now I think playing Higgie as the main hitman even just for the first half then Dools in the 2nd half may be worth a try!

What about trying this to give us an early goal and settle us into our rythym....Ive been impressed by Higgie's strength on the ball when he is hustled by opposing defenders, he seems to be able to brush them aside and create openings for himself in tight spaces, just what we need inside the box!Idont know if his sharpness is due to his english pre season training or not but right now he looks sharper than Dools .I have every faith that Dools will eventually start hitting the net but right now I think playing Higgie as the main hitman even just for the first half then Dools in the 2nd half may be worth a try!

Why do we need a "striking solution" when we don't have a striking problem? This forum is hilarious sometimes.

• Like 3

another solution http://www.odec.ca/projects/2003/britt3m/public_html/DCP_4913.JPG

If Doolan or Baird picked up a knock I think we'd see Higginbotham up front. I'm sure Archie even said as much when he signed him. It's not always the case that players get to play in their preferred position. For instance Bannigan I believe has preferred a more central role to his current starting position.

No reason whatsoever that Higginbotham couldn't do a good job in the centre. I think that's a reasonable shout.

4 goals in 3 games.

3(?) goals chopped off?

Panic stations. I suggest we get a big target man.

I agree but though hardly worth a new thread the OP is at least suggesting the "solution" lies within. Change the word solution for option and I'd say there's merit. Fits in with my argument that signing another striker, unless he so good it would be daft to ignore, just marginalises the forwards we've already got. Forwards that as yet haven't had a chance to prove themselves..

Edited by lady-isobel-barnett
  • Like 2

Higgie does look strong on the ball and able to fight off a challenge and beat a man. Could be useful when playing more physical teams such as St Johnstone. Also, with Doolan/Baird having a little more pace they would possibly be more effective later in the game as players tire.

Edited by mhs

I suggested this on the Hearts thread and think it could be a good solution. I'd personally even do it this Saturday against Well. Cant see Higginbotham lasting more than an hour in this position. I think this is also a game to suit Baird as we need someone upfront who can help relieve pressure.

On a side note, Well look awful this season with McFadden mucking about skinning himself with no end product and McManus fouling on every occasion. Their right back has also been destroyed in every game I've seen - something for T-Sinc to exploit.

4 goals in 3 games.

3(?) goals chopped off?

Panic stations. I suggest we get a big target man.

lol. Very good. I agree with you, I don't think we need a 'plan B' - we just need to execute the current 'plan A' just a tiny wee bit better. If that means shuffling the pack a bit, then fair enough - but is changing things after 3 league games not a little soon?

Am I the only person who would rather bring in left-back cover than a striker?

We play one up front. Doolan is perfectly capable there just now. In reserve we have Baird, Higginbotham, Mukendi, Elliott. I don't see any issue.

I think Doolan can bag us a dozen goals this season, which would be a great return.

Am I the only person who would rather bring in left-back cover than a striker?

We play one up front. Doolan is perfectly capable there just now. In reserve we have Baird, Higginbotham, Mukendi, Elliott. I don't see any issue.

I think Doolan can bag us a dozen goals this season, which would be a great return.

No ..... you are not alone. Right back is also a bit of a problem as Jordan McMillan appears to be permanently injured

I don't understand what the striking problem is that we are trying to find a solution for. On Friday we came up against an inspired keeper. It happens. No need to axe our current attackers.

Last season 8 teams had a player score over 10 goals (3 teams had two players over the 10 mark). I think if any of our strikers score over 10 they are doing ok. 15 would be great.

Interesting St Jonstone managed a third place finish with their top scorer having only 7 in the league. But 4 players all scored 7. Maybe this is our best approach rather than relying on one player.

No ..... you are not alone. Right back is also a bit of a problem as Jordan McMillan appears to be permanently injured

I don't understand what the striking problem is that we are trying to find a solution for. On Friday we came up against an inspired keeper. It happens. No need to axe our current attackers.

Based on the fact that he's currently injured...?

No.

Look at his goals record.

He's a wide man or behind the front player.

Besides, as others have pointed out, where's the problem? A target man would be good but if not Baird, Doolan & young lad Duggan in U21s will do.

I have a feeling that if we didn't already have Doolan then he'd be getting touted on this forum as the signing we have to make. He must be one of the top scorers in the first division over the last three seasons, and suits our style perfectly.

And on his current average he's on course for 13 league goals this season, though I appreciate that this is a ridiculous projection.

Why do we need a "striking solution" when we don't have a striking problem? This forum is hilarious sometimes.

Why are people on this forum so blinded by how wonderful our current striking options are! We have 2 x 1st Div standard strikers and that's it. Playing at a higher level our tight defence of last season are inevitably going to concede more. We need another striking option otherwise we're headed for 35-40 goals at best. Head out the sand people. The bubble will burst. Of all football fans, Thistle fans should know this more than most. All irrelevant though anyway as the striking option issue will be sorted by the close of the transfer window.

• Like 2