Just In....from St Mirren Park

thebiglemon

Even after a couple of shandies, I am still on a high. Don't want to moan, but if we had a proven goalscorer there would be no team I feared in this league and that includes Sellick. However, nil desperandum this Partick Thistle team is the best footballing side I've ever seen, and I've been going to watch Thistle since the mid- seventies. I know its early in the season and I don't want to get carried away, but if Archie can resolve the scoring issue I reckon we're going to have a great season. Like last season, I have to hold my hand up whilst I thought we wouldn't struggle too badly, I never in my wildest dreams expected Thistle to be so good. Oh Chick Dung are you still tipping us to go down, eejit!!!

It would have been a complete injustice if St Midden had got anything from today's game. We thoroughly deserved the 3 points and should have been a couple up at half time. I thought we should have had a penalty when Goodwin (c**t) pushed over Baird. Great performance from the team to come back from a goal down and shows what great spirit there is at the club right now. Just a shame we have to wait two weeks for the next game. Well done boys - enjoy your night.

Thought we lost our shape for a little while after their goal and was delighted to hear fans around me screaming for the players to get it down and play to feet and play our passing game. In the past we would have been screaming for balls long into the box. If there's a better passing team in this league I've yet to see them. Some of the passes today were superb.

Just a random comment as there was some great play all over the park but the Osbourne, Craigen & Bannigan midfield were tremendous today.

Also yet again Archie got the substitutions spot on. Lawless and Baird had done a lot of the hard spadework Couldn't be a lot of fun for St Mirren when two guys with the energy of Doolan & Elliott take over.

This team is tremendous and a joy to watch, but to be honest I couldn't see us scoring as the game went on, so it was brilliant to win the game. I'm just a bit worried we aren't killing teams off and we may regret it at times, but the one thing about them is they keep on playing the same way. If we could somehow get a top striker (no disrespect to Baird & Doolan) we could seriously push for a place in Europe. We totally played St Mirren off the park today, Bring on the Dons!! :-)

Can say it now but it was quite important that we didn't lose today. As much as it was a more significant fixture for St Mirren due to their recent form, a defeat could have been quite detrimental to the confidence of our young team, especially if they had two weeks to stew over it, and even more so had it occurred after another game where they had dominated for long spells.

Quite how we found ourselves a goal down after controlling the game for so long, I'm still not terribly sure; it was a poor goal to lose and we should have dealt with the cross better. It did have the hallmarks of another valiant defeat after a first half as dominant as that against Hearts. We cannot afford to have so much possession yet offer such little threat on the opposition's goal; again, despite our superiority, we hardly tested the goalkeeper.

Osbourne had his best game for us and this was in no small part due to the switch in personnel alongside him. As I suggested earlier this week, playing a combination of a defensive anchor with a central midfielder who collects the ball from deep is fundamentally flawed; it invites pressure onto us and completely disrupts our fluidity in the middle of the pitch. Bannigan is a great foil for Osbourne - a much better fit than Fraser - and it could develop into quite a handy partnership.

Higginbotham certainly has the propensity to frustrate and entertain in equal measure but, if he didn't, he wouldn't be playing for us. I don't know whether he was given a free role in the first half or was specifically instructed to switch wings but he was very prominent in most of our attacks and, with a little more accuracy, could have scored more than one.

To coin a cliche, Craigen has really stepped up to the plate so far this season and has been largely excellent. Sinclair has also upped his performances and has consistently been a great attacking outlet. My one gripe with Sinclair over the last season or two was his reluctance to overlap and get to the byline but he has improved immeasurably in this respect. Lawless showed his usual elusiveness but could have, and probably should have, had a few pops himself rather than try to play others in.

Another good thing to come from today is that Baird had his chance, predictably fluffed it and hopefully will put to bed the ridiculous notion that he is a better option than Doolan. I have rarely seen a centre forward spend so little time in the box. In my opinion, a centre forward, irrelevant of the system his team is playing, should be making the majority of his runs within the width of the penalty box and, if he does have to come wide, he should be bursting his bollocks to get himself into the area. Doolan does this very well but Baird doesn't do it at all. I don't know if it's a lack of confidence but he's picking the ball up in all the wrong areas, in my opinion. I feel slightly sorry for him because he's not cut out to play the lone striker role - he would thrive working off a bigger striker.

From St Mirren's point of view, the defending for Forbes' goal was absolutely criminal; the boy Newton is jogging back while it's blatantly obvious that Doolan is going to pass and makes no effort at all to tackle. They looked like a team very short on confidence and lacking in any sort of creativity. Sad to see it but I don't think Super Dan is long for chop on that evidence.

End of the first month - two away wins, two draws, one defeat, unbeaten at home, through to the Third Round of the League Cup. The greedy side of me will look at the two draws and curse that they weren't wins as they easily could have been but I think we've had a pretty reasonable start. If we can start converting possession into goals, we won't be looking over our shoulder this season.

Edited by Armand2
  • Like 4

Not being able to get to the games has been a pain for me. But listening to the radio has nearly driven me nuts!

Not sure if anyone heard Chick Dung gloating when Saints went a goal up....but the wee nyaff has been driving me nuts with his incessant yammering through games on the radio... I very nearly am inclined to throw things, and more so when the little rat behaves as if his beloved Sevco are playing Bayern Munich!

Thanks for link Thistletilladie.

Regarding the 'penalty', no doubt that Baird went down easily, but pushing a player off of the ball is an offence. Even if Baird had stayed on his feet, definite penalty.

Not sure about Baird. He is either lacking in ability or lacking composure. Doolan for me every time at the moment.

Transfer window closed so let's forget the big, 20 goal striker. Perhaps we should stop thinking of the Doolan/Baird position as a striker. Does it matter if Doolan didn't score yesterday? His cool, composed and perfectly timed lay off to Forbes set up the winner.

We play great football. We've had a great start. Yes, it could have been better but let's not look back but forwards. We're fourth in the league. We started the season 15 points off the relegation place and 0 points above the playoff spot. We are now 16 points from relegation and 7 points away from the playoffs.

We will, as will all teams, have ups & downs this season but I think we will do reasonably well. Plenty of time now for Archie to evaluate whether a big striker will enhance our squad or disrupt our style before next season and the push for Europe.

Another good thing to come from today is that Baird had his chance, predictably fluffed it and hopefully will put to bed the ridiculous notion that he is a better option than Doolan. I have rarely seen a centre forward spend so little time in the box. In my opinion, a centre forward, irrelevant of the system his team is playing, should be making the majority of his runs within the width of the penalty box and, if he does have to come wide, he should be bursting his bollocks to get himself into the area. Doolan does this very well but Baird doesn't do it at all. I don't know if it's a lack of confidence but he's picking the ball up in all the wrong areas, in my opinion.

Wouldn't disagree with anything you wrote Armand2 but this bit especially caught my eye.

I made exactly the same comment about Baird as regards his runs & not getting in the box on way home yesterday.

I thought he should've had a penalty yesterday, albeit he went down dramatically, but I think the reason he probably didn't get it was he was headed to corner flag with the ball.i know it shouldn't matter but you take nto account the dying swan impression then I can understand why it wasn't given.

The one run he did make through the centre in the first half, a poor first touch took it towards the corner flag also so you maybe correct in that it is a confidence thing.

I also think Baird's performance made you look more at what Lawless was doing, or wasn't doing as the case may be. Like I said before in my post, felt Lawless had a poor game yesterday. Didn't run or take on the players as often as I thought he could've & should've instead choosing to hang back or lay it off.

Doolan's fitness over the next few months going to be crucial I feel. Haven't seen the young lad Duggan in the u20s & Eliiot could at a push do a job through the middle but beginning to understand why Baird utilised out left so much for Dundee.

The game itself aside, after visiting NSMP I'll never moan about Firhill again. God forbid we should end up with a toytown stadium built to the cheapest spec possible and located in a grotty industrial estate.

From time to time over the years there's mention on forums of selling up at Firhill and starting from scratch somewhere new (usually was Scotstoun). I'm always amazed at how normally rational posters see great benefit from a move. Maybe being rational is the reason and they discount the emotive effect.

Some clubs you could argue have made the transition successfully but I'm willing to bet those clubs were on the up at the time and success on the field countered the negatives. St Mirren fans are on a right downer at the moment but I reckon they wouldn't be nearly so despondent if they were still at Love St. Coming away from soulless grounds like Falkirk, Stirling Albion or Airdrie after a Jags defeat is bad enough. Imagine if your team is getting gubbed what it must be like trudging home every fortnight.

I think the only thing St Mirren have got going that most out of town grounds don't have is the rail link but that's more a benefit for away fans.

Edited by lady-isobel-barnett

Wasn't there yesterday but cheers for the highlights. Wonder if it was a St Mirren fan who edited them.

From reading on here, p&b, and St Mirren's forum we absolutely played them off the park but the highlights depict a pretty even amount of chances which we nicked at the end!

that's why they are called Highlights :borat::innocent2:

From time to time over the years there's mention on forums of selling up at Firhill and starting from scratch somewhere new (usually was Scotstoun). I'm always amazed at how normally rational posters see great benefit from a move. Maybe being rational is the reason and they discount the emotive effect.

Some clubs you could argue have made the transition successfully but I'm willing to bet those clubs were on the up at the time and success on the field countered the negatives. St Mirren fans are on a right downer at the moment but I reckon they wouldn't be nearly so despondent if they were still at Love St. Coming away from soulless grounds like Falkirk, Stirling Albion or Airdrie after a Jags defeat is bad enough. Imagine if your team is getting gubbed what it must be like trudging home every fortnight.

I think the only thing St Mirren have got going that most out of town grounds don't have is the rail link but that's more a benefit for away fans.

Couldn't agree more. I think the location is part of the soul of the club. I'd hate to see Thistle ever leave Firhill.