Just In V Kilmarnock

Camallain

The problem is that we can't score at home from open play.

Not sure what you're getting at here, kni. Care to explain. We've played 4 home league games and scored two goals both from penalties. Everybody and their granny that posts on here will be well aware of that so I assume you're emphasis is on "can't score" .I'd argue that we can score and have been unlucky not to. We've hit the upright twice in the last couple of games and Doolan was inches away from connecting for a certain goal today.

Apologies if your above post was just stating the bleeding obvious in that we haven't scored from open play.

I thought Doolan had a very good game today.

Agree.

He'd score more often if other players didn't involve him in the build up. He takes up good scoring positions peels away fine and does all the things expected of a striker. He just doesn't get enough opportunities because of that early involvement. I'm not even sure if that's a tactical fault or not as Doolan's first touch is so good that there's justification in bringing him into play. He just can't be two places at the same time.

Doolan should watch kris Boyd as while he's obviously a total bam, he's a quality striker who kris could learn a lot from although not his idiotic side and I'm surprised he stayed on the pitch after that tackle.

Totally agree with that.Boyd must have covered less than a quarter of the ground Dools covered but still ended up with a goal more.All his little nudges on the defenders and checking out of runs away from his markers is what our strikers havent been doing.

He lost big Aero several times just by stopping his run.Our Team are still adjusting to the top flight ,opposition central defenders are all over our guys but we seem to be standing off too much.

I know people are saying goals will come but I dont think the lone striker up front will work at this level with the players we've got.Pushing Elliot a bit further forward to suppot Dools is our best option at the moment in my opinion.

It's ok saying one striker can make runs to make space for others but our midfield doesn't seem to have any goals in it either.The shape needs a tweek.

If Doolan continues to play like he did today the goals will come. He ran Barr and Bouzid ragged in the first half. They just couldn't handle him. Forced Samson into a great save. He was a bit quieter in the second half but had one superb moment when he brought the ball out of the air, turned a couple of defenders and hit a shot that was destined for the goal but for a terrific block. I didn't get a good view of the disallowed goal but there didn't seem to be many protests so assume it was handball. He finished it well though.

It was handball - totally accidental as the ball bounced up on him but I guess when you are in a goal scoring situation like that the referee may consider you have gained an advantage and feel he has to give a foul.

Boyd took his chance excellently. He's far too good for Killie.

We look a bit lightweight on a few occasions. When Killie and most certainly Aberdeen bullied us we looked a bit lost.

True v Aberdeen but Killie only bullied us in that 15 minute period after they scored and that was down to panic and loss of confidence resulting from the goal. The last period of the game we were on top again - they might have caught us in a breakaway but we looked the better team and made several good chances.

RE support from Doolan we don't need to change our shape but there were periods when the midfield (or at least our attacking midfield) didn't move quickly enough to support him. They seemed to wait until they saw whether he was going to be able to hold the ball before they moved - he needed one or two to have faith that more often than not he would and go to give him options. Didn't happen the whole game, mainly in the short period they were on top and the slightly longer period when it was 50-50. In fact that may be why it took us a while to get back into the game.

Reasonable report on game here: http://www.scotsman....point-1-3105639

Edited by Mr Bunny

Yet again we dominated the first half and failed to take advantage. I thought Doolan was a little unlucky in a few situations; the ball did not drop favourably for him. Doolan I felt played well, his movement caused Killie problems especially in the first half. If he can play like that regularly then the goals will come for him.

Some of shooting from outside the box is poor and corners were ineffective.

Killie came right back into it at the start of the second half and I thought we were lucky not to concede more. Boyd may be lazy but he caused us real problems. We failed to defend the cross ball all day. His uses his body well to get on the end of crosses and Muirhead did struggle with him. Other than cross balls I did think both centre backs did well – if they can improve in the air we have a very good partnership.

The lack of experience in the side is a problem. We struggled when Killie put pressure on us a failed to the simple things in game properly. Need the more experience players to take more responsibility.

I thought Elliot did very well when he came on, added pace and was direct. I think he is more composed and confident on the ball this season. Unlucky not to score with his shot that hit the post although should have done a little better with his chance at the end.

Sinclair I thought was poor first half then came onto a game in the second. Other way around for O’Donnell, thought he caused Killie problems first half then lost his confidence in the second and had a mare. He’s got to learn not to let mistakes affect his game.

I think Boyd was very lucky not to be sent off for that challenge. There was a few bad tackles on both sides during the game though.

What is going on with Lawless? I have noticed over the last few weeks he has dropped out of games in the second half. I wonder if he has a problem.

I think if we had a striker like Boyd then we would be a stick on for a top 6 finish.

Disappointed with the result, but not with the performance, apart from 15 to 20 at start of 2nd half. The defence seemed to panic a bit after they scored, but the introduction of Elliot(who had 4 good attempts) got us back into it. I think we are just not getting the rub of the green at the moment. Pretty much everyone, I thought, was back to their usual in the 1st half except Higgy who had a quiet day and again Bannigan who didn't seem interested in the 2nd half. Lawless after a decent 1st half,fell out of it in the 2nd. Maybe teams at this level are better able to adjust and snuff out the dangerous players.

Frustrating though it is, winning at home is not that common. There have been 40 games in the premiership so far this season. Only 17 (43%) were home wins. 14 (35%) were away wins. 9 were draws. Last weekend every match was an away win.

The highest percentage being home wins would mean that winning at home is the most common result.

Much as we'd all love Firhill to be a fortress this season, we've got to be realistic and admit the standard of player we're up against now is that much better. Ipso facto, like yesterday and particularlt last week they are likely to make more of the chances that lower league opposition might well have passed up, To be frank I'm not bothered if we get our wins away from home or at Firhill, so long as we get wins. In fact givien our style of play, I'd posit that we are more likely to pick up points away from home yhan at Firhill. Primarirly, not from anything particularly special we set up to do, but attacking teams away from home seems to catch them by surprise and long may it continue.

Edited by stillresigned

As frustrating as yesterday was, it is another point towards staying up this season. I don't think there are a lot of good teams in the league from what I have seen so far, but everyone of them is vastly more experienced in getting over the line in top flight games. Hopefully we get more savvy as the weeks go by.

Even though they had some tricky looking midfielders, the Killie game plan is to get the ball to Boyd. If he gets injured or is suspended they are in trouble.

Stevie Lawless coming in for a bit of stick just shows how good and important he was last season. He has not been that bad, but not to the standard of last season. Maybe he just needs a few more games to adjust to playing against bigger stronger players than last year.

Well impressed with the shift big Christie puts in when he comes on. Strong going forward and not shy in chasing back. Doesn't mind a tackle either.

Higgy had a bit of a stinker, poor pass that ATS lunged for and got booked then he put in a bit of a crazy one to get a yellow himself.

Osborne looked as good as I have seen him in red and yellow, but I am not sure, him, Welsh and Bannigan worked.

We are not a million miles away from wins, someone wil get a pasting from us soon.