Rearranged St Johnstone Game

GrantB

Could that be a game I recall? Not long after the JH opened I definitely remember a midweek game being abandoned due to a power problem, even though it was still day light at the time of the game being called off. I remember clearly having to exit onto the track & out of the big gate to the left of the JH stand, but can't remember the opponents. It must have been early or more likely late in the season

I seem to remember Ian Cameron missing a penalty in the game. Or maybe he scored. Or perhaps the whole thing is a figment of my imagination.

I seem to remember Ian Cameron missing a penalty in the game. Or maybe he scored. Or perhaps the whole thing is a figment of my imagination.

Here's my list - which may be incomplete.

1888-89 06-Oct THIRD LANARK A 2 1 GLWC <> 1894-95 01-Dec ABERCORN H 4 4 SFL2 Void match. Reason n/k. 1898-99 19-Nov HEART OF MIDLOTHIAN H 2 4 SFL1 Hearts turned up 20 mins late. Darkness 1901-02 28-Dec CLYDE H 1 0 SFL2 Failing light. 1901-02 22-Mar HAMILTON ACADEMICAL A 2 1 SFL2 n/k 1903-04 07-Nov MOTHERWELL H 3 2 SFL1 Fog/failing light 70 mins. 1903-04 26-Dec DUNDEE H 2 1 SFL1 Dense fog, 63 mins. 1903-04 13-Feb AIRDRIEONIANS A 1 1 SFL1 Waterlogged pitch, 82 mins. 1904-05 26-Nov MOTHERWELL A 1 1 SFL1 Late arrival of PTFC. Failing light. 70 mins. 1904-05 11-Mar MOTHERWELL A 2 2 SFL1 Storm. Pitch unplayable. 70 mins. 1905-06 11-Nov ST MIRREN A 1 3 SFL1 Fog, 85 mins. 1906-07 09-Mar HAMILTON ACADEMICAL A 1 2 SFL1 Snow, 70 mins. 1909-10 04-Dec HAMILTON ACADEMICAL H 0 0 SFL1 n/k 1919-20 15-Nov DUMBARTON A 1 1 SFL1 Late arrival of PTFC/darkness/fog 70 mins. 1948-49 23-Aug CELTIC A 1 1 GLWC1 Rain, 69 mins. 1982-83 23-Feb CLYDE A 1 1 SC Floodlight failure, 113 mins. 1992-93 21-Nov ABERDEEN H 0 2 PREMDIV Snow. 1994-95 04-Mar HEART OF MIDLOTHIAN H 0 0 PREMDIV Snow, 56 mins. 1995-96 09-Apr ABERDEEN H 0 0 PREMDIV Floodlight failure, 39 mins. 2012-13 26-Feb COWDENBEATH A 1 2 SFL1 Fog, 68 mins. 2013-14 14-Dec ST JOHNSTONE H 0 0 SPFLP Waterlogged pitch, 45 mins. <> With Thistle leading 2-1 Third Lanark thought they had equalised. Thistle players insisted the shot had gone over the bar. The referee dismissed the appeal after a long delay and the ball was centred. Arguments broke out and some Thistle players walked off but others seemed content to carry on. (Some supporters encouraged them to do so.) The referee abandoned the game. Fights broke out amongst the crowd as they gathered in front of the pavilion. Wiser counsel prevailed and nothing more serious then cheers and counter-cheers occurred. A replay was ordered by the SFA and the match was played on 10 November 1888. Third Lanark won 2-1.

1888-89 06-Oct THIRD LANARK A 2 1 GLWC <> 1894-95 01-Dec ABERCORN H 4 4 SFL2 Void match. Reason n/k. 1898-99 19-Nov HEART OF MIDLOTHIAN H 2 4 SFL1 Hearts turned up 20 mins late. Darkness 1901-02 28-Dec CLYDE H 1 0 SFL2 Failing light. 1901-02 22-Mar HAMILTON ACADEMICAL A 2 1 SFL2 n/k 1903-04 07-Nov MOTHERWELL H 3 2 SFL1 Fog/failing light 70 mins. 1903-04 26-Dec DUNDEE H 2 1 SFL1 Dense fog, 63 mins. 1903-04 13-Feb AIRDRIEONIANS A 1 1 SFL1 Waterlogged pitch, 82 mins. 1904-05 26-Nov MOTHERWELL A 1 1 SFL1 Late arrival of PTFC. Failing light. 70 mins. 1904-05 11-Mar MOTHERWELL A 2 2 SFL1 Storm. Pitch unplayable. 70 mins. 1905-06 11-Nov ST MIRREN A 1 3 SFL1 Fog, 85 mins. 1906-07 09-Mar HAMILTON ACADEMICAL A 1 2 SFL1 Snow, 70 mins. 1909-10 04-Dec HAMILTON ACADEMICAL H 0 0 SFL1 n/k 1919-20 15-Nov DUMBARTON A 1 1 SFL1 Late arrival of PTFC/darkness/fog 70 mins. 1948-49 23-Aug CELTIC A 1 1 GLWC1 Rain, 69 mins. 1982-83 23-Feb CLYDE A 1 1 SC Floodlight failure, 113 mins. 1992-93 21-Nov ABERDEEN H 0 2 PREMDIV Snow. 1994-95 04-Mar HEART OF MIDLOTHIAN H 0 0 PREMDIV Snow, 56 mins. 1995-96 09-Apr ABERDEEN H 0 0 PREMDIV Floodlight failure, 39 mins. 2012-13 26-Feb COWDENBEATH A 1 2 SFL1 Fog, 68 mins. 2013-14 14-Dec ST JOHNSTONE H 0 0 SPFLP Waterlogged pitch, 45 mins. <> With Thistle leading 2-1 Third Lanark thought they had equalised. Thistle players insisted the shot had gone over the bar. The referee dismissed the appeal after a long delay and the ball was centred. Arguments broke out and some Thistle players walked off but others seemed content to carry on. (Some supporters encouraged them to do so.) The referee abandoned the game. Fights broke out amongst the crowd as they gathered in front of the pavilion. Wiser counsel prevailed and nothing more serious then cheers and counter-cheers occurred. A replay was ordered by the SFA and the match was played on 10 November 1888. Third Lanark won 2-1.

Aberdeen 0-0 was the one I was thinking of.

I'm sure I also remember a night game at Airdrie with floodlight failure, probably late 70's or early 80's not on the list, or is my mind playing tricks???

Very good point.

With a full stadium every home game and a season ticket waiting list as long as Garscube Road there is asbolutely no reason for us to encourage supporters to go more often, credit to the club for putting them off.

I don't think I said we shouldn't encourage supporters to go more often - but I think that the club would need to pick the right time to do it. I don't think a Tuesday night in January is the right time.

Aberdeen 0-0 was the one I was thinking of.

I'm sure I also remember a night game at Airdrie with floodlight failure, probably late 70's or early 80's not on the list, or is my mind playing tricks???

Can't remember if it was abandoned or not, but I remember being at Broomfield once at it was really foggy. At one point, Gary Peebled (legend) walked past us & up the tunnel. My dad asked him what had happened. 'Been &@£@£ sent off' was the reply.

I was only wee, but still remember not being able to see a thing. Should've been abandoned, can't remember if it was.

Can't remember if it was abandoned or not, but I remember being at Broomfield once at it was really foggy. At one point, Gary Peebled (legend) walked past us & up the tunnel. My dad asked him what had happened. 'Been &@£@£ sent off' was the reply.

I was only wee, but still remember not being able to see a thing. Should've been abandoned, can't remember if it was.

I was at that game and amazingly it went the full distance, although I had little idea of what was going on for the vast majority of it. Edited by Charlie Endell

Could that be a game I recall? Not long after the JH opened I definitely remember a midweek game being abandoned due to a power problem, even though it was still day light at the time of the game being called off. I remember clearly having to exit onto the track & out of the big gate to the left of the JH stand, but can't remember the opponents. It must have been early or more likely late in the season

I recall both of those incidents. Pretty sure he missed the penalty. My aged mind has probably combined the Hearts one with the second Aberdeen one.

I was at that game and amazingly it went the full distance, although I had little idea of what was going on for the vast majority of it.

For that foggy Airdrie game, the "reason" given for it finishing was that the referee could still see both 18 yard lines from the centre. In those pre-Internet days, I remember talking with Airdrie fans the next day & trying to piece together what had actually happened. Our sending off was news to me. I recall that our then manager Sandra Clark was fouled for a soft penalty, converted by Charnley in a 1-1 draw. The fog was so dense that Chic was not visible in the picture taken from behind the goal.

Of course, given my previous memories, all of that is probably wrong too.

Edited by mgow
  • Like 1

Did Calum Campbell not get stretchered off for us in that game

I seem to recall Campbell getting stretchered off at Broomfield but couldn't swear it was that game - everything gets mixed up in the mists (pardon the pun) of time. I loved the big nurse as a player - played with absolutely no fear.

If he did it couldn't have been that serious as he scored against Clydebank a month later (on Boxing Day).

http://www.nhsborders.org.uk/nhs-borders-board-members/board-members/mr-john-glennie

Edited by Charlie Endell

We definitely beat Hearts 3-1 in a midweek home game round about the mid 90s. I remember this because I had a few quid on the correct score and was shamefully willing Thistle NOT to score as the match reached it's conclusion once it was clear the 3 points were safe.

This may (or may not) be related to the original abandoned game.

We definitely beat Hearts 3-1 in a midweek home game round about the mid 90s. I remember this because I had a few quid on the correct score and was shamefully willing Thistle NOT to score as the match reached it's conclusion once it was clear the 3 points were safe.

This may (or may not) be related to the original abandoned game.

At 3-1 up and the points looking safe there was nothing shameful about that!

Edited by Charlie Endell

I remember that 1888-1889 Third Lanark match. The b******s made us pay a shilling for the re-played match. Always hated the Hi-Hi since then. Don't hear much about them these days.
  • Like 3

First thing I've said on this whole matter, hopefully won't be too controversial an opinion.

I don't think £12 is particularly unreasonable. I think it probably is about right considering all the factors, that you would need around 660 fans paying this price at the gate. We can't forget that we have a large student following as well, and they will be paying less than this, as will any fans over 65 that decide to attend. I think regardless of the ticketing issue, we would have been seeing one of, if not the lowest, attendance we'll have all season at this due to it being a Tuesday night in January, St Johnstone don't bring a large number of fans (and this would again be diluted by the difficulties of getting to Perth and back on Tuesday night) so we can expect a very low away turn out regardless of pricing, it's not a particularly important or big fixture for us (OK, they're all important, but I'd imagine that for fans who pick and choose which games they go to, St Johnstone isn't high up on the list). I would personally be very annoyed if the club set a pricing strategy for this game which they knew full well would give them no chance of breaking even.

Secondly, with regards the Complimentary "Ticket". Can anyone please show me where on it it actually says the word "ticket"? No? That'll be because it's not a ticket. I agree that the word complimentary was probably misleading, but I think that it was a genuine case of that was all they had to work with at the time. I would imagine that the tickets that are used this year are printed well in advance and therefore, could not be used for this.

Also, I agree with The Cup. St Johnstone fans are *****. I have seen some of their posters on their forum state that they would have been annoyed to be charged anything for this. The fact of the matter remains that, from a legal standpoint, we didn't have to give them anything. We've been, in my opinion, overly generous by subsidising their buses. I don't care particularly if St Johnstone fans aren't happy.

Finally, the comparison with the St Mirren-Ross County game is unfair in my opinion. That was rearranged to a weekend, when it was also the only league game on due to it being an international week. This would therefore allow the St Mirren board to predict, rightly or wrongly, that they would still be able to break even by charging this lower price. Our prediction has taken into account the factors which affect our game, and have, I would argue rightly, predicted a low turn out regardless of whether they charge £10 or £12. If £12 is the price which they think gives us the best chance of breaking even, or at least minimising loss then so be it.

Edit: My other issue is with people being told that these complimentary vouchers would get them into the rescheduled game for free. I do not doubt that this, regrettably, happened. However, as has been mentioned, the announcement never made this promise. Which means that they were told this by the stewards handing out the vouchers, who are not employed by Partick Thistle, but by the security company which the club use. I would imagine that noone at the club told them this, and they have just said this to the fans at a guess? Would be a bit unfair to try and hold Thistle to something which was promised by employees of another company.

Edited by oneteaminglasgow

I remember that 1888-1889 Third Lanark match. The b******s made us pay a shilling for the re-played match. Always hated the Hi-Hi since then. Don't hear much about them these days.

If only they had produced an etching of the previous season's game then they could have admitted people in for free. :-) Sorry, couldn't resist.

Early 80s. Did the lights fail before kick-off and the game didn't start or was it abandoned at half-time. Bloody failing memory.

Just as an aside I never saw Thistle win at Broomfield. We won 3-1 there in 1982, our last win there, but I went to see Rocky 3 instead because I fancied a girl at school. Moral of the story; never pick a wummin over the football, especially one that has no interest in you at all. Ever.

• Like 1

They were there for the taking that day. I'm sure that was the game they played a tiny wee wain in goals. Think his name was Robertson.

While the majority of comments have rightly focused on the admission policy / pricing of the St J game, there has been a lot less around the actual scheduling of the re-arranged game (LIB and poss a few others excepted).

I do find it quite baffling that it is being replayed this quickly in January. I am certain that in the (dark) old days of the SFL, postponed games could be delayed until the end of Feb when at least the weather could be less severe and the typical post festive squeeze on personal finances has eased a little.

Cash flow could sometimes drive the home club to want it on earlier, but in this instance it comes on the back of two consecutive home games (and on a Saturday) so even without all the hoo-ha is was likely to be less well attended by home PATG supporters as a third game in 11 days.

I can only assume that it a directive from SPFL Premiership with the old chestnut about being worried about future fixture pile-up. I find that a bit of a poor reason given the large number of midweeks left / lack of current backlog / under spoil heating etc. However, I could just about accept it until you realise that both clubs have played 20 league game right now - the same number as the other Glasgow team in this league who have been granted permission to postpone a game scheduled for this week end!

Footnote: St J are still in both cups, which could be the excuse for scheduling it so soon. It means they will postpone a league game on Sat 01/02 for LC and also rules out Sat 08/02 as they have SC. Still leaves them no worse off the the other Glasgow mob in terms of league games but suppose they will have another game postponed if they reach final.