Thistle V Ross

The Cup

I predict Ross County packing out the midfield tomorrow. They'll keep things very tight and look to Slew(?) to hold the ball up till support arrives from midfield. I think it's going to be a very dour game tomorrow.

Like the season when County were promoted: very ugly on the eye.

Here's hoping the fitba team can use last week's victory as a springboard for victory. Would be the first back-to-back wins for ages if it happened!

Does anyone know whether Simon Colina is anywhere near ready for the first team? Have heard nothing of him since he signed for the U20s in the summer, and we have a midfield crisis on atm.....

From what I hear, he has bags of ability but little strength. I assume he's probably still trying to come to terms with the dramatic change in culture. Very few foreign players have cut it at Firhill in my time. Quinton Jacobs, Juan Ramon Escalas, Peter Lindau, Daniele Chiarini all had some quality but for one reason or another, it never worked out for them. Hopefully Simon Colina sticks with it and he makes an appearance or two before the end of the season.

^ By "foreigner players", I assume you mean non-British as we have had a few good Englishmen and Irishmen at Firhill.

I would add Jean Yves Anis and Jakup Mikkelsen to your list. Jukka Santala wasn't a bad signing as scored some valuable goals. Adrian Madaschi was inconsistent.

I'm afraid tomorrow's game is likely to be pretty County fair and if we win we'll have to roll our sleeves up and be prepared to win it ugly. That being said our young players are surely picking up a lot of lessons and I'm sure we're well capable of getting our first home win. I'll not predict a win simply because every time I have we haven't!

Agree with most folk that county will come and produce the painful, eye wrenching brand of football that saw them promoted and secured them a top half finish last season ( says a lot bout this league actually).

We will have to dig in and try to keep the ball and not surrender possession cheaply. All eleven players r gonna hv to be prepared to dish out meaty but legal tackles because if they don't county will just steamroller us.

• Members

Missed the majority of the 1st Dundee United game and only have a vague recollection of him playing against Hearts, so, my thoughts where that Gary was more a creative type of midfielder rather than the type that liked a tackle! Not entirely sure he's the ideal replacement for Bannigan or Muirhead in that case. For those that have seen both he and Wilson playing for the U20's this season, if you were to chose between Fraser and Wilson as a defensive midfielder, who would you pick?

Don't know about the rest of you but I'm now feeling really positive about this game, despite the injury concerns. Over the last few weeks Archie has been gradually recalibrating our style to fit with the demands of top flight football. I think we'll build on the Hearts result. 3-0 to the Jags!

• Like 2

Over the past 15 or so years I have attended numerous games against Ross County. Obviously there has been the odd exception either way, but the majority of the encounters at Firhill have been dour and forgettable. We have ended up lumping high balls down the throat of Scott Boyd. Ross County have come and time wasted even when the score is 0-0, happy with a point and as often as not nicking a goal and stealing 3 points. Yet the games at Dingwall have generally been entertaining affairs with both teams going at it full tilt and lots of goals at either end. Not surprisingly our record has been much better in Dingwall than at Firhill. In the midst of many 0-0, 0-1 and 0-2 scorelines I can recall one 2-2 at Firhill, but at Dingwall I can remember 5-2, 4-1, 2-3, at least two 2-2s and numerous 2-1/1-2s.

Looking forward to this for some reason.

Some nicked facts about today-

If we don't win today it will equal our worse start for 100 years.

We have only won 1 of our last 9 games against Ross County at Firhill.

Ross County have only won more than 3 game once since they were promoted.

Without going overboard by stating the obvious, Lyle Taylor is the key for us today. Scott Boyd, to me, punches above his weight by playing in this division; he's functional rather than commanding, reasonably good in the air with reasonable upper body strength and slow to medium in the pace department.

In his time with us I saw him get devoured many a time by strikers with pace, guile aerial presence and strength. Steven Dobbie in particular springs to mind at Palmerston in the famous "we're gonnae win 5-4" game. I think, and certainly hope, that LT will rip him an entirely new anus and lead us to a 3-1 or 4-1 victory.

Is this really the day when we snap our home win hoodoo? You betcha!

Monni Theeeeeeeeesel!

Too many ifs and buts about our midfield today

I would certainly play Lyle up front with Doolan playing slightly deeper

Either Higgy or lawless playing wide

We all know that county will crowd the midfield

Got to get the ball more quickly to our front players

I know it's been said in previous posts. but we definitely need a centre back

Someone with experience and can organise the defence and who can win the ball from corners and set pieces

Was at tynecastle then watched on sport scene a couple of times

The number of crosses into the box that we didn't deal with

Anyway off to firhill now gonna be hard but I think we will sneak it

I'll be very disappointed if room can't be found for both Doolan and Lawless (particularly the former) in the starting XI today. Taylor looks great but in no way does Doolan deserve to be relegated to impact sub given what he has shown so far this season, and Lawless has been excellent in the last few games (unlike, say, Elliott)...

Fox

O'Donnell Balatoni Piccolo Taylor-Sinclair

Muirhead Fraser

Higginbotham Doolan Lawless

Taylor

Not confident about this one given RC's signings and without knowing how fit Fraser is, but 'Mon the Jags!