Tag

jagscast

Will post a more full report on events today later on, but I have got to say well done to the club for this event. I thought it was very positive and well done. Questions were answered on an objective basis and there wasn't too much hiding on answers.

Special credit to Greig Brown (hopefully that is how you spell it) who seems to have a real good grasp of dealing with people and driving things forward. Even greeting people at the door was a simple but good touch.

There is a long way to go here, but a good start. Transparency - critical. And a bit more shouting about what we are good at. We heard today of what each member of BOD is doing. Important to build engagement and trust.

• Like 1

Overall it was positive.

Tough questions were asked and straight answers were given.

Hands were held up on the failure to get TAG up and running, apologies were made, it was also accepted that the job has now become even harder in terms of getting the fans back on side with this. But, there seemed to be a clear commitment to tackle this head on, which I found encouraging.

Maxi was around towards the end as well, had a good chat with him on various topics and to be fair to the guy, he gives a straight answer to every question that was asked.

When I have more time I will post a more detailed analysis.

• Like 4

Good to hear some positive talk on this. I can't really claim to be anything more than a match day fan, haven't ever taken more involvement than that, and all respect to those who do. As an outsider I'd just like to see goodwill between all parties because I tend to believe that, regardless of whether it's a valid excuse, increased workload is probably the reason for the problems and any mistakes are probably honest ones.

I'm sure things will progress better if everyone's on the same side and not blaming or finger pointing. Good relations between players, fans and club appear to have been a big part of our recent successes. That's not to say that challenging, focused questions, where necessary, aren't valid.

I think i would mirror a lot of what Ian says, it was a very positive meeting.

I thought Greig and Jim spoke very well. Both openly and passionatly about our Club and what needs to be done.

I think what the Club want to achieve is very ambitious, bigger than what i first thought.

Going by the information provided, i would say that this is a job for two full time staff, one to manage the IT infrastructure (not just the TAG/Federation database but the infrastructure as a whole), the other to look after the administration of TAG, and the federation.

Greig commented that a Club of our size should have 6 full time staff, and whilst we did at the start, Jim confirmed we are currently at 4... But at the same time they advised that what we are looking to achieve is something no other Club has done in Scotland, we are breaking new ground. That confirms to me that we need more than the 6 staff we aim to have.

Another concern for me is how things will be funded to start with. Great noise was made of this being our only option, it's make this a success, or the Club is destined to stagnate forever (at best).... yet at this time, we only have 400 non season ticket holders registered. You do the financials...

Greig confirmed that they will have a third party review where they are with TAG/Federation, before commiting to a launch date. i can understand this, if this is the great hope, every base needs to be covered. But equally, as was stated, Thistle have a history of failing to utilise that "window of goodwill", there is the potential this could be launched on the back of us potentially being relegated, as oppossed to last year, when it was launched on the back of a promotion.

It was asked what will happen if relegated, and it was advised that "we'll just have to find the money" for TAG/Federation, as this is it..... The Club are throwing everything behind this.

I think the biggest thing for me was hearing Greig Brown speak about our Club. i've only spoken to him twice previously, when i was introduced to him at Morton away, and in the Star after the Dunfy game. To hear him present and speak passionately about our Club helped no end and instills more confidence in the job they are doing. And i would agree that as was suggested, these meetings should be presented in future by different board members as it allows us to get a better perspective of what they do for the club, how they want to grow the club etc.

When push comes to shove, we all have the same goal, to see our club progress and prosper. I don't think anyone would deny them the opportunity to do that.

Can i ask that Davy gives his opinion of the meeting and how he and Maggie felt after discussing Tag/Federation f2f with the club, and therefore what the trusts position will be moving forward, in relationship to both TAG and the Federation?

I think i would mirror a lot of what Ian says, it was a very positive meeting.

I thought Greig and Jim spoke very well. Both openly and passionatly about our Club and what needs to be done.

I think what the Club want to achieve is very ambitious, bigger than what i first thought.

Going by the information provided, i would say that this is a job for two full time staff, one to manage the IT infrastructure (not just the TAG/Federation database but the infrastructure as a whole), the other to look after the administration of TAG, and the federation.

Greig commented that a Club of our size should have 6 full time staff, and whilst we did at the start, Jim confirmed we are currently at 4... But at the same time they advised that what we are looking to achieve is something no other Club has done in Scotland, we are breaking new ground. That confirms to me that we need more than the 6 staff we aim to have.

Another concern for me is how things will be funded to start with. Great noise was made of this being our only option, it's make this a success, or the Club is destined to stagnate forever (at best).... yet at this time, we only have 400 non season ticket holders registered. You do the financials...

Greig confirmed that they will have a third party review where they are with TAG/Federation, before commiting to a launch date. i can understand this, if this is the great hope, every base needs to be covered. But equally, as was stated, Thistle have a history of failing to utilise that "window of goodwill", there is the potential this could be launched on the back of us potentially being relegated, as oppossed to last year, when it was launched on the back of a promotion.

It was asked what will happen if relegated, and it was advised that "we'll just have to find the money" for TAG/Federation, as this is it..... The Club are throwing everything behind this.

I think the biggest thing for me was hearing Greig Brown speak about our Club. i've only spoken to him twice previously, when i was introduced to him at Morton away, and in the Star after the Dunfy game. To hear him present and speak passionately about our Club helped no end and instills more confidence in the job they are doing. And i would agree that as was suggested, these meetings should be presented in future by different board members as it allows us to get a better perspective of what they do for the club, how they want to grow the club etc.

When push comes to shove, we all have the same goal, to see our club progress and prosper. I don't think anyone would deny them the opportunity to do that.

Can i ask that Davy gives his opinion of the meeting and how he and Maggie felt after discussing Tag/Federation f2f with the club, and therefore what the trusts position will be moving forward, in relationship to both TAG and the Federation?

Sounds encouraging PT, as the club seem to want to push this through and in my opinion both TAG and the Federation is a great idea I hope all the fans get behind this, I know I will

• Members

I thought Maggie was no longer involved?

morning guys; my own thoughts (in no particular order)

great to have the club explain what it's trying to do; good cross-section of fans groups invited; personally, I'd love to see an open meeting with all fans invited when the project is closer to implementation/ launch/ re-launch/ fruition.

I'm heartened to see that as a group of fans we all seem to be on the same page - this is a decent idea, but have concerns about making it work.

As PT says "When push comes to shove, we all have the same goal, to see our club progress and prosper. I don't think anyone would deny them the opportunity to do that." and I'm 100% in agreement with that.

I personally have a couple of concerns - it is an "all or nothing" plan at the moment (I think the phrase "there is no plan b" was used) so I really hope that the club can continue to be transparent and get everyone behind it; but that leads to my second concern - the EEOS raised the point about inclusion and prices; the response was that we will need to pay (either via season ticket or the £60 for add-ons) to be a TAG member, but what about fans who can't afford either? I'd like to see something that allows everyone to be included, not just those of us who can afford it.

It is a bit "chicken and egg" currently - one of the main drivers behind TAG is to allow better communication from the club to the fans, but the club will need to get this bit right in order to make TAG work - and I for one really hope that they can do this.

Just one final point - why is called TAG? why didn't they just call it OneThistle??

Davy

There was a lot of discussion pre launch regards costs if you factor in all Season Ticket Holders receive Membership for Free - Kids under 16 receive it for Free -
we have very attractive Season Ticket packages 16-18 - £50 and 18 -20 - £75
which also includes TAG Membership - we have covered a substantial number of those with limited incomes.Our Concession Season Ticket packages are also very attractive - disabled also get in for Free.

We have set the bar relatively low cost wise £5 per month -whilst we would like to do more t-he fact that we also have Kids Go Free means we have limitations on how much we can give away for Free or at reduced costs - its less than a packet of cigarettes or a couple of pints.

As for there is no Plan B - its a correct statement - TAG in effect provides an Engine to grow the Fan Base - it allows Communication - Involvement in the Community- Increased Fan input via the Supporters Federation and allows Fans to be an integral part of there Club - not "the Club" - there Club.

The reason there is no Plan B is that anything else will simply be a variant on TAG - it ticks all the boxes - whilst Im sure people have different ideas it boils down to the same thing - Grow the Fan Base - Communicate Better - -Increase Community Presence - Fan Input to Club Decisions - TAG provides a vehicle to achieve all of this.

The name TAG was in place prior to my involvement - its Hungarian for Member going back to the Maryhill Magyar idea

Davy

There was a lot of discussion pre launch regards costs if you factor in all Season Ticket Holders receive Membership for Free - Kids under 16 receive it for Free -
we have very attractive Season Ticket packages 16-18 - £50 and 18 -20 - £75
which also includes TAG Membership - we have covered a substantial number of those with limited incomes.Our Concession Season Ticket packages are also very attractive - disabled also get in for Free.

We have set the bar relatively low cost wise £5 per month -whilst we would like to do more t-he fact that we also have Kids Go Free means we have limitations on how much we can give away for Free or at reduced costs - its less than a packet of cigarettes or a couple of pints.

As for there is no Plan B - its a correct statement - TAG in effect provides an Engine to grow the Fan Base - it allows Communication - Involvement in the Community- Increased Fan input via the Supporters Federation and allows Fans to be an integral part of there Club - not "the Club" - there Club.

The reason there is no Plan B is that anything else will simply be a variant on TAG - it ticks all the boxes - whilst Im sure people have different ideas it boils down to the same thing - Grow the Fan Base - Communicate Better - -Increase Community Presence - Fan Input to Club Decisions - TAG provides a vehicle to achieve all of this.

The name TAG was in place prior to my involvement - its Hungarian for Member going back to the Maryhill Magyar idea

cheers Jim; I was asked for an opinion and gave it; wasn't necessarily looking for a response or reaction, but nice to see the addition info. Can you post the slides from the meeting for the rest of the guys to have a look at?

Dave I think Jim is right.

We already give a hell of a lot away for free. I don't think £5 a month is really asking much. Bear in mind that a lot of people won't even half to pay this at all.

Honestly don't think anyone is being excluded here at all.

You say, "What about fans that can't afford either". Well let's be honest, if someone isn't prepared to put any money at all in to the club then why should they get anything in return? Look at the nomads, some of them buy season tickets knowing fine well they won't use them. Those that don't are desperate to support the club in any way they can financially.

What about those people who "can't afford" a JT membership? They don't get in, simple as that.

No one is being asked to take out a 2nd mortgage.

Edited by ian_mac

Dave I think Jim is right.

We already give a hell of a lot away for free. I don't think £5 a month is really asking much. Bear in mind that a lot of people won't even half to pay this at all.

Honestly don't think anyone is being excluded here at all.

You say, "What about fans that can't afford either". Well let's be honest, if someone isn't prepared to put any money at all in to the club then why should they get anything in return? Look at the nomads, some of them buy season tickets knowing fine well they won't use them. Those that don't are desperate to support the club in any way they can financially.

What about those people who "can't afford" a JT membership? They don't get in, simple as that.

No one is being asked to take out a 2nd mortgage.

Ian, mate - moot point. I'm not saying Jim is wrong - I was asked for an opinion and put some thoughts down. Simple as that

I personally have a couple of concerns - it is an "all or nothing" plan at the moment (I think the phrase "there is no plan b" was used) so I really hope that the club can continue to be transparent and get everyone behind it; but that leads to my second concern - the EEOS raised the point about inclusion and prices; the response was that we will need to pay (either via season ticket or the £60 for add-ons) to be a TAG member, but what about fans who can't afford either? I'd like to see something that allows everyone to be included, not just those of us who can afford it.

I think its worth pointing out that it wasn't a scare tactic, "all or nothing" or the club dies.... It was more in regards to: regardless of success, league position, style of football, crowds aren't growing, fan bases are dwindling across all teams. and if they are growing, its not quick enough to allow clubs to run successfully. TAG/Federation is an all or nothing, to get the fans back and help the club grow. If it doesn't happen the club will not grow and not be able to secure its self as a Premiership team.

With regards to the point on costs lets be honest £5 a month is not a lot of money, no one can ever argue that it is anywhere near to being such. As such, because it is not a lot of money, you could argue that the club are under selling it.

If you think about it.... the £60 package is the cheaper package... we offer a £120 package (£60 for season ticket holders) so the club have offered a cheaper version.

If they start offering cheaper packages than the £60 package, and the majority sign up for the cheaper package, then that starts messing about with budgets. For such an incredibly technical project to implement, it needs to be simple to administer. Different grades, payment amounts etc make the admin side more difficult.

I know this might piss a few folk off, but thats the way it goes. If you can't afford it, tough. I'm sorry but thats the way it is, for too long our club has provided too much for free. volunteers have worked hard to provide services to fans for free, that fans have received for free, that in the middle, the club have covered costs for.... its about time our club started acting in a professional manner.

We aren't a charity. if folk don't think the package is value for money, they don't buy it, simple.

Its worth remembering TAG is a sign up reward scheme, you pay a yearly fee and receive a list of rewards for your money.

The Federation is free to everyone and is a representative body that will allow supporters groups access to and the chance to work with the Board of Directors through an open forum to the betterment of the Club.

Overall it was positive.

Tough questions were asked and straight answers were given.

Hands were held up on the failure to get TAG up and running, apologies were made, it was also accepted that the job has now become even harder in terms of getting the fans back on side with this. But, there seemed to be a clear commitment to tackle this head on, which I found encouraging.

Ooops, I am editing my post quering why an apology had never happened and should have checked the club website as I now see that one finally went up on Friday. Fair enough. I do still think that it is hard to believe that the club took almost a year to make a further comment on it, but time to move on...

Edited by ColinKelvin