Gerry Collins Revisionist History Thread

thebiglemon

Yes the season from hell

Yes the season I went to only one game

But didn't we lose half the team to Motherwell and the Arabs and have Andy (compare him to Lyle Taylor) Gibson as our main striker for most of the season?

Alf Ramsey might have struggled to keep the team up that season- what else could Collins have done (don't say resign in September)

Yes the season from hell

But didn't we lose half the team to Motherwell and the Arabs and have Andy (compare him to Lyle Taylor) Gibson as our main striker for most of the season?

Alf Ramsey might have struggled to keep the team up that season- what else could Collins have done (don't say resign in September)

Don't you mean Andy Thompson?

http://www.footballsquads.co.uk/scots/2003-2004/scotprm/partick.htm

http://espnfc.com/team/fixtures/_/id/247/season/2003/partick-thistle?cc=5739

Edited by potty trained

Yes the season from hell

We did lose a lot of players - the spine of the team in fact.

But ask yourself, why there was such a mass exodus? Having spoken to a few of the players involved I can tell you there were 2 reasons.

1. Many of the players simply didn't rate Collins as a coach, or like him as a person.

2. In a lot of cases, the player in question was only offered a 1 year deal by PTFC. Players are looking for long term security, and other clubs were able to give them that.

There were some mitigating circumstances. Motherwell being able to offer double the wages that we could, while in administration, is something that I still can't get my head around. The fact that they were even in the SPL after finishing bottom, I still can't get my head around.

That said, Collins was a dreadful manager, and started a chain of events which culminated in one of the darkest periods in the clubs history.

Collins, Whyte & Britton, Campbell and Grant Murray should all be ashamed of themselves for taking our club back to the 2nd division.

But above all, the actions of supposed "custodians" of the club at that time were nothing short of criminal.

Edited by ian_mac
  • Like 2

Without a doubt one of the worst top flight teams we ever had. Collins should never have been given the job in the first place and was clearly out of his depth, however the only defence you could offer the club is he was a successful number two and many clubs have made the same mistake out of loyalty.

I don't often despise ex jags players but that team contained two that I wish never had the honour of representing our club, firstly Murray must have been the worst centre half that we have ever had at that level. I still get flashbacks of him miss timing headers followed by the ball ending up in the net, to make matters worse this was followed by his pathetic attempt to motivate the team.

The second is Grady without who the season would probably have been much worse however his b******t at the end of the season gave everyone the true measure of the man and it was no surprise he ended up at soul less club like Gretna in the end. Pity he couldn't still cut it he would be ready made for the new club from Govan.

1) Not sign junior league players like Stephane Bonnes, Andy Ross, JP McBride and Jean-Yeves Anis.

2) Not lose the dressing room by offering Kenny Milne a square go.

Jean Yves Anis what a player! he tore Livi to shreds when we beat them 5-2 midweek game and he got stretchered off with the firhill faithfull chanting his name! Does anyone know if that was his last game?

Andy Ross just reminds me of him posing with that maroon and sky blue away kit in the match programme.

Atleast JP McBride got us that first win against Motherwell.

Looked at that squad- what a motley bunch

No definitely Andy Gibson, curly hair- probably went to Montrose or something after us and still struggled

My mate met Paul Kinnaird whose quote was...Gerry Collins, nice guy but couldn't coach a shi*e out of an arse

edit: Jean Yves Anis, quickly ended up in the juniors, so bad defending but a threat the other way (at that level)

Edited by thebiglemon

are you sure it was 14 league games I'm pretty sure it was 17.

I've heard he was an absolute bully with the younger lads in the youth teams reducing some to tears with his abuse. Pretty disgraceful behaviour

14 unless you count the last game of the season before which was Lambie's team anyway.

Others will disagree but I thought Grant Murray had a respectable enough first season with us. What can't be denied is he was a most dreadful captain. I also find it peculiar that the lower the league he played in the worse he played. He was rank rotten in the 1st Div but amazingly even worse playing against mostly part time players in the 2nd.

Not that it's any honour at all but that season in the SPL I think he was a nominee for PotY (maybe even picking up an award) tho' mainly losing out to Rowson & Grady.

As for Collins I wasn't aware of his unsuitability to be a manager at the time of his appointment. Not strictly true I heard a few rumours but put it down to sour grapes. Point is the real fault lies with those who knowing of his unsuitability went ahead regardless and made him manager. I can understand and even defend McMaster or whoever for appointing Whyte & Britton and even Campbell, that was just honest misjudgment, but never can they be excused for Collins. Some might say they were only being fair giving him a crack of the whip. Apart from the obvious ensuing disaster for Thistle they were in fact being unfair on Collins by exposing him to ridicule.

I remember hearing that one of his first actions as manager was asking Stephen Craigan to take a pay cut. Not a good start.

The biggest joke was signing Stuart Taylor as a replacement for the irreplaceable BMMMH.

Andy Ross - the only Thistle player I have ever booed.

Some of the above stories about GC’s management style are new to me and if true, the poor form of the team is understandable. However the board shoulder most of the blame for either a/ selecting the wrong manager or b/ not sticking with him for the long haul.

On a more positive note I’d like to mention his efforts as a player. When Lambie bought him from Hamilton we were near the bottom of the old First Division and heading for relegation. Whilst nearing the end of his career his will to win, and fight for the cause inspired the other players. The skills may have been fading but nobody could have doubted his heart. He demanded the same of others in the team. They were a great double act – Lambie off the pitch and Gerry on it.

I have a still vivid memory from that season of going to Palmerston Park and seeing the team upsetting the odds by beating QoS 3-1. GC was a rock and the courage and spirit spread from him.

I should add that I have never met the guy but think that his influence on the pitch, almost single handedly saved us from relegation that season.

His subsequent shameful treatment [ IMHO ] as a manager was not one of the Club’s proudest moments.

Some of the above stories about GC’s management style are new to me and if true, the poor form of the team is understandable. However the board shoulder most of the blame for either a/ selecting the wrong manager or b/ not sticking with him for the long haul.

On a more positive note I’d like to mention his efforts as a player. When Lambie bought him from Hamilton we were near the bottom of the old First Division and heading for relegation. Whilst nearing the end of his career his will to win, and fight for the cause inspired the other players. The skills may have been fading but nobody could have doubted his heart. He demanded the same of others in the team. They were a great double act – Lambie off the pitch and Gerry on it.

I have a still vivid memory from that season of going to Palmerston Park and seeing the team upsetting the odds by beating QoS 3-1. GC was a rock and the courage and spirit spread from him.

I should add that I have never met the guy but think that his influence on the pitch, almost single handedly saved us from relegation that season.

His subsequent shameful treatment [ IMHO ] as a manager was not one of the Club’s proudest moments.

Well said, Gerry.

He was a rank rotten manager, who when combined with the perfect storm of having to replace 5 of our best players who left us that pre-season (archie, shaggy, craigan, toastie, bmmmh) resulted in a disaster!

I do honestly feel sorry for him, to be part of all the success with Lambie etc then have such a nightmare, but tough titty football doesn't work that way.

I will agree with the guys saying the pre season was amazing though - I remember giving a few teams a hiding in pre-season, bonnes n anis looking like world beaters, then it all went quickly downhill.

Thank god for Grady n Rowser that season

Without a doubt one of the worst top flight teams we ever had. Collins should never have been given the job in the first place and was clearly out of his depth, however the only defence you could offer the club is he was a successful number two and many clubs have made the same mistake out of loyalty.

I don't often despise ex jags players but that team contained two that I wish never had the honour of representing our club, firstly Murray must have been the worst centre half that we have ever had at that level. I still get flashbacks of him miss timing headers followed by the ball ending up in the net, to make matters worse this was followed by his pathetic attempt to motivate the team.

The second is Grady without who the season would probably have been much worse however his b******t at the end of the season gave everyone the true measure of the man and it was no surprise he ended up at soul less club like Gretna in the end. Pity he couldn't still cut it he would be ready made for the new club from Govan.

Gerry Collins was indeed a number two - whether or not he was a successful one...

Equally shameful is the stories though of Gerry Collins treatment of younger players though reducing them to tears - that's not so much the board that is culpable for that but Collins himself - there is no excuse for bullying like that

Equally shameful is the stories though of Gerry Collins treatment of younger players though reducing them to tears - that's not so much the board that is culpable for that but Collins himself - there is no excuse for bullying like that

Legally, morally and simply as guardians of the Club, I would say the board would be 100% culpable.

Looked at that squad- what a motley bunch

No definitely Andy Gibson, curly hair- probably went to Montrose or something after us and still struggled

My mate met Paul Kinnaird whose quote was...Gerry Collins, nice guy but couldn't coach a shi*e out of an arse

edit: Jean Yves Anis, quickly ended up in the juniors, so bad defending but a threat the other way (at that level)

Definitely not Andy Gibson, he was 20 years old and started 1 game that season, hardly one of our main strikers. I too feel that you mean Andy Thomson, who started 13 league games and moved to Falkirk to be pretty much equally forgetable.