Just In - Should Have Murdered Them

Woodstock Jag

On the balance of chances, probably a fair result, but on the balance of play, we should have murdered them.

St Johnstone are not pleasing on the eye at all. I don't blame their fans for turning out in such low numbers despite their league position. I wouldn't want to watch that week in week out.

We were far from our best today, but really had a go. I think Prince Buaben is a bit too slow on the ball at times and it's losing us valuable half-seconds when trying to get the final ball in. The defence were napping in the first 20 minutes, and the goal was a result of genuine laziness on the part of the centre-backs, but after that they were fairly solid. Erskine was off his game today, but Banzo absolutely bossed the midfield.

I thought Elliott did reasonably well today. A point is probably okay given our long bad record at McDiarmid, but with others equaling or bettering around us, the Hearts game is now absolutely crucial.

Oh, and Craig Thomson is an absolute clown. Barely made a good decision all day.

• Like 1

Poor decision-making in the team cost us 2 points: we continue to get Taylor and/or Doolan get caught up in wing play, so that there's no striker to put the ball into the net. The huge number of corners with no scoring to show for it tells its own story.

Oh, and the referee seemed to have discovered a rule that players aren't allowed to jump to head the ball. This team is going to have to be careful about all these yellow cards, even if there hardly seems much reason for most of them.

Poor decision-making in the team cost us 2 points: we continue to get Taylor and/or Doolan get caught up in wing play, so that there's no striker to put the ball into the net. The huge number of corners with no scoring to show for it tells its own story.

Oh, and the referee seemed to have discovered a rule that players aren't allowed to jump to head the ball. This team is going to have to be careful about all these yellow cards, even if there hardly seems much reason for most of them.

The point of the system we play is that when the forward goes wide one (or more) of our "attacking midfield" should be getting into the box. Possibly a problem is that Elliot isn't a naturally as flexible player as, say Erskine but that doesn't excuse other players. Did we miss Higginbotham? His shoot at sight attitude might have got us more tries on goal.

• Like 1

At the end of the season the point we got today may well prove vital for our survival in the top league. Unfortunately, for most of today's game although we had pleny of possesion we created few, if any clear cut chances and if I'm being honest carried little in the way of a goal threat. As others have said, our fortunes were hardly helped by a totally inept refereeing performance from Craig Thomson: who seemed hell bent on booking every player wearing red and yellow, despite there being little in the way of dangerous or malicious play by either side frankly. Up (or maybe down) there with Bobby Madden IMO

Still the point was vital considering the way the other results went. Particularly, as it looked that once again our domination would lead to nothing.

Edited by stillresigned

Not at the game today as I think St Johnstone away is the most joyless away experience in the league due to the out of town 'stadium ' 'experience' that is McDiarmid. However, immensely pissed off with our East End visitors late of Wednesday for not bothering to give Ross County a good pummeling today. I warned their fans in my work that I would be unhappy if they didn't do to them what they did to us, and the full force of my displeasure will be visited on them full sore on Monday. They tremble from my wrath....

Very solid team performance today. Gallacher didn't have much to do and couldn't do much about the goal. On the whole the defence was nice and solid, McMillan was very impressive and Piccolo didn't let May bully him and was very good in the second half imo. Bannigan and Fraser were both very good again, bossing the midfield. Bauben had his best game so far, really breaking up play well but it wouldn't hurt him to have a shot on goal. Erskine and Elliot both worked hard but not much came off for them. Taylor and Doolan caused problems all day. Nice to finally get something from a game when we deserved it!

On the balance of chances, probably a fair result, but on the balance of play, we should have murdered them.

Quoting very first line of the thread but I have read all the other posts. Point being WJ sums the game up in a concise manner. Tho' not pleasing to the eye St J are excellently organised in defence. I don't think we were that powderpuff in front of goal (today's stats and our recent history would suggest otherwise) and I feel you grudgingly have to give credit to St J for fending us off for 90 mins.

OK we looked a bit nervy too often but over the piece I thought we were very disciplined and showed outstanding fighting qualities. Total team effort today and the individual performances that were below par couldn't be faulted for endeavour. Fraser and Bannigan in central midfield for two so young show amazing maturity. Really exciting prospects tho' that's been fairly obvious for a wee while now.

• Like 1

your never goin to murder anyone with only one striker playing upfront. can't understand why we don't ditch this system and play 4-4-2 with taylor and doolan upfront.

There's no way we'll start playing 4-4-2. We'd get absolutely slaughtered. Don't confuse playing both Kris and Lyle as playing to anything as rigid as that system. Doolan for the time he was on the pitch today did as much defensively as Bauben.

Having slept on yesterday's result I am more convinced than ever that a point warms a good result yesterday. Let's be honest it's going to be nip and tuck until the end of the season. One thing that occurred to me quite early on yesterday, was how important Higginbotham has become, and to be honest we noticeablly suffered yesterday without him.

The other point I want to make is one I and others have made all season wtf is wrong with our set pieces, I can't believe that out of all the professional football teams in the world, we are the only team who don't practise them.'Cos ours are generally woeful, embarrassingly so at times, like yesterday when we had innumerable corners, but I can't remember us creating anything from them. Unless, of course the goal came from one as I was ensconced in the toilet at the time, having striven manfully to avoid using the facilities during the second period!

Some people were saying that we didn't create many chances, but the highlights show that we created plenty! Some very neat play, including a couple of great turns by Erskine in the box. Their goal was a horrible deflection after a lucky break from a loose ball. Our goal was a bit of a gift from their keeper. A potentially valuable point. Really need to beat the tarts next week.

Happy with a draw but we NEED to win on Saturday. At home to the worst side in the league, we should go back to Erskine, Higginbotham, Doolan and Taylor. The fixtures are quite favourable to the bottom sides, with all at home. Could quite easily see Ross County beating Inverness CT, Killie beating St. Johnstone and St. Mirren beating Motherwell. Hopefully not. But that would also put the pressure on Hibs on Monday night. It's imperative that we take care of our own match. Going into the split ahead of St. Mirren - and hosting them at Firhill - I would feel confident that we would be able to maintain 10th (or go higher).

• Like 1