Sean Welsh

Winter of '63

I would definitely have a fit Welsh in my starting line-up - nothing surer. This current absence, though, is inordinately long and I genuinely worry whether he's going to be able to have anything like a stable career with us at some point in the future; I truly hope he can overcome this setback and kick on with us.

The bigger concern, for me anyway, is whether he'll be the same player he was pre-injury. I can't help drawing a comparison in my head between Sean and Liam Buchanan who, generally speaking, was relatively injury free until the big absence occurred. We all know that Liam never regained form after that and, effectively, drifted into virtual obscurity. Shame - he had been a tremendous asset to us hitherto.

Whatever fate has in store for Sean, and despite the concerns I've expressed, absolutely none of this has been of his own doing and I hope for his sake, as well as for my own hopes as a supporter, that things work out positively for him. He's still quite young and must be feeling horrible at being out for so long. I'm optimistic that the lad has a good future with us and, in a worst case scenario, that Thistle look after him to the best of the club's ability.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Update on Sean, Spoke to Archie at the EEOS meet the manager last night, he is training with the rest of the guys now and will get a outing with the U20s.

Higgy needs an op but it looks like being a short term problem at the moment (couple of weeks)

Lawless picked up a knock, and they are waiting to see how that turns out but may miss some games.

Fraser is a long term thing and he will get another scan soon to confirm all went well, he is a bit down at the moment due to this so he was given a week away with his family.

Seaborne has had about 9 stitches due to the head knock.

that is what i remember from last night on injuries :drink2:

Edited by jaggybunnet
  • Like 1

Update on Sean, Spoke to Archie at the EEOS meet the manager last night, he is training with the rest of the guys now and will get a outing with the U20s.

Higgy needs an op but it looks like being a short term problem at the moment (couple of weeks)

Lawless picked up a knock, and they are waiting to see how that turns out but may miss some games.

Fraser is a long term thing and he will get another scan soon to confirm all went well, he is a bit down at the moment due to this so he was given a week away with his family.

Seaborne has had about 9 stitches due to the head knock.

that is what i remember from last night on injuries :drink2:

What else was said mate

eg McFadden, Everton-Richards, Stevenson,

Has a new contract been offered to Higgy etc?

What else was said mate

eg McFadden, Everton-Richards, Stevenson,

Has a new contract been offered to Higgy etc?

nothing ref Mcfadden but that one of the problems ref signings was trying to get them to move up from down south and that like last year the board would make funds available if needed in jan, basically they didnt want to move up to Scotland, wouldn't say the name but missed out on a defender on loan because he got injured in the capital cup.

he says ryans problem is a drop in form and he hope to get through it it soon.

E-R will stay on loan till jan. he is improving but didnt want to chuck him into the deep end in prem and lose all confidence which is what he thinks is happening with Murihead.

they are trying to get higgy signed up at moment.

banzo is still behind the pace as he missed pretty much all the pre season with the injury.

as i remember more i will post it

nothing ref Mcfadden but that one of the problems ref signings was trying to get them to move up from down south and that like last year the board would make funds available if needed in jan, basically they didnt want to move up to Scotland, wouldn't say the name but missed out on a defender on loan because he got injured in the capital cup.

he says ryans problem is a drop in form and he hope to get through it it soon.

E-R will stay on loan till jan. he is improving but didnt want to chuck him into the deep end in prem and lose all confidence which is what he thinks is happening with Murihead.

they are trying to get higgy signed up at moment.

banzo is still behind the pace as he missed pretty much all the pre season with the injury.

as i remember more i will post it

thanks mate

Meant to ask was anything said about fox being in goal instead of gallacher?

LOL he was asked who would be in goal this sat and said he didnt know, said that this thing where fox punches and palms it away must be a new goalie thing as P G does it now as well, said that scully is doing very well and has grown up massively at dumfermlain. he still need to sort out his kicking.

also said it drives him nuts that higgy shouts for the ball not mater where he is or who is marking him and the players keep passing it to him when there might be a better pass on elsewhere as they think that higgy can do anything with the ball .

would feel like a new signing. What was actually wrong with the guy? it's been so long I've forgotten

I can't recall the original injury either but I think that's not the problem. He has some medical condition which makes it more difficult for him to come back quickly from injuries (not sure if it's every kind of injury or just certain kinds of injury).

I can't recall the original injury either but I think that's not the problem. He has some medical condition which makes it more difficult for him to come back quickly from injuries (not sure if it's every kind of injury or just certain kinds of injury).

He has a blood disorder (compared to us normal people) which means that he takes longer to recover from injury than would normally be the case.

It was nevertheless interesting to note that Sean himself said that whoever the medical guy appointed this season has made a difference to his recovery.

Hope he got through tonight without ill effect.

For sure he will need six weeks to be ready for the first team after 11 months out.