Thistle Transfer Targets Gossip, Summer 2014

yoda-jag

I’m not overly optimistic about either of the two guys with us at the moment. Being new to management, it would seem Archie still doesn’t have a heck of a lot of contacts and scope. That and our limited scouting network.

As said, Barr is too injury prone and we already have an injury prone DM in Welsh.

Agree with all of that.

I wouldn't blame the management team as such but the club should've invested when the scouting system (Bobby Dinnie) retired but think they thought McNamara's contacts (Darren Jackson also) would get players into the club.

We've known for the best part of last season that ATS unlikely to be with us this so surely we should've had 3 or 4 targets scouted & had one of them in by now. The fact we haven't is concerning.

Thank Christ you've got a much better understanding of our transfer policy than the management/board. I was concerned for a second before you piped up. As long as you 'think they thought' I'm a happy man.

Agree with all of that.

I wouldn't blame the management team as such but the club should've invested when the scouting system (Bobby Dinnie) retired but think they thought McNamara's contacts (Darren Jackson also) would get players into the club.

We've known for the best part of last season that ATS unlikely to be with us this so surely we should've had 3 or 4 targets scouted & had one of them in by now. The fact we haven't is concerning.

I would love to be sitting here with 4 or 5 guys signed like everyone else but I'm hoping the lack of action is just that Archie and Shaggy are taking their time to look at guys that will come in and improve the team. we panicked a bit last year and ended up with Kerr, Baird, Mukendi who were useless,Piccolo who looked good sometimes but made alot of errors and was vastly inexperienced for this league, then Moncur in on loan was a complete waste of time, Buaben wasn't up to much either.

We could afford that to a certain extent with Hearts being so far behind, and obviously the signings of Higgy, Taylor and Mair helped us alot, even Thistle couldn't feck up a 15 point lead .

This year we have to get it right.I thought we would offer something to Harkins but in his interview he said as soon as Dundee came in his mind was made up, I think he would have preferred coming back to Thistle but it doesn't sound like we offered him anything or Dundee threw silly money at him.

I think Barr would do a job for us, don't know anything about Magnay at all but if we're all saying no to him already remember St Mirren have went out and signed a striker from Gateshead aswell so there's obviously a few teams scouting the players down there.

Edited by jags on tour

Anyone who's seriously worried that we haven't signed more than 1 player yet, a month and a half before our season actually starts, needs to have a word with themselves. The signings our rivals have made aren't worrying in the slightest given that for me personally, the only one I think would have improved our squad was Kevin Thomson and even him I'm not that bothered about. Dundee bringing in Gary Harkins, who was past it the last time he played for them, doesn't exactly strike fear into my heart that they're going to be a force, nor Kilmarnock who have replaced the man who pretty much single handedly kept them in the division last season with Lee Miller. We've only made one signing, and it was a very good signing. Yes, we need more, but we have plenty of time to do so. If a couple of weeks down the line we're in the same position, and we won't be, then there may be reason to panic. At the moment, there is nothing to be worried about

5 weeks to start of season or not, surely you want folk in place before you go to Spain?

As for Magnay, 25, released by Gateshead & career been on a downward spiral since winning a contract through an X factor type football show on satellite TV.

If people think that's the kind of player we should be targeting let alone signing -& from what I've heard, forget the trial line, it seems to be happening- then that's their prerogative.

I think we should be expecting better.

5 weeks to start of season or not, surely you want folk in place before you go to Spain?

As for Magnay, 25, released by Gateshead & career been on a downward spiral since winning a contract through an X factor type football show on satellite TV.

If people think that's the kind of player we should be targeting let alone signing -& from what I've heard, forget the trial line, it seems to be happening- then that's their prerogative.

I think we should be expecting better.

Who would you be expecting us to sign?

I've made the general point before but just as a specific Archie may have thought up till late last week that we had a very good chance of signing Taylor. So it shouldn't then be a surprise that we haven't added a forward. Perhaps similarly he's got a bid/terms in for a left back he really wants. Another position he can't then fill. And so on.

If you're suggesting that the manager doesn't know what he's doing, fair enough. Not something I would agree with but otherwise I feel my suspicion that he's holding off for players he's earmarked is surely worth consideration. Last season Archie could've spent the lion's share of his budget before heading to Durham. I'm as near 100% certain as damn it he wouldn't have made a signing as significant as Higginbotham by meeting that deadline.

Obviously all things being equal the earlier the signing the better. Higgy maybe needed a good few weeks to get up to speed so to speak that wouldn't have been required if he'd joined pre Durham. But all things aren't equal and I think getting the best guys in is far more important than just filling positions.

Cairney mcpake Harkins miller mcginn as far as ave read Fs man geez a break haha

Cairney, rumour at Christmas and it was a load of shite. We didn't approach him.

Harkins 12 months ago and we were nowhere near his wage demands. Dodged a bullet there!

Mcpake, miller, McGinn, hVe we actually been linked with them, or are they just folk our fans want Archie to sign?

McPake and Miller I could care less about, McGinn I don't know anything about.

I've made the general point before but just as a specific Archie may have thought up till late last week that we had a very good chance of signing Taylor. So it shouldn't then be a surprise that we haven't added a forward. Perhaps similarly he's got a bid/terms in for a left back he really wants. Another position he can't then fill. And so on.

If you're suggesting that the manager doesn't know what he's doing, fair enough. Not something I would agree with but otherwise I feel my suspicion that he's holding off for players he's earmarked is surely worth consideration. Last season Archie could've spent the lion's share of his budget before heading to Durham. I'm as near 100% certain as damn it he wouldn't have made a signing as significant as Higginbotham by meeting that deadline.

Obviously all things being equal the earlier the signing the better. Higgy maybe needed a good few weeks to get up to speed so to speak that wouldn't have been required if he'd joined pre Durham. But all things aren't equal and I think getting the best guys in is far more important than just filling positions.

Taylor I agree with but I'll say again if the quality of player that we are aiming at signing is a former winner of a TV football talent show who's career has been in a downward spiral since first getting a pro contract culminating in his most recent release at Gateshead & you're happy with that then that's your perogative.

Personally, with the increase in ST monies & with a bigger budget than last season at the manager's disposal I'd have hoped for better quality.

Whilst I'm not saying we should've signed all the guys mentioned above, surely you agree they're a better pedigree than a TV talent show winner?

Edited by Trotter

From what I've read Gateshead fans aren't too glad that he's going. Are we sure he was 'released' or did he perhaps say that he wanted to try his luck elsewhere now that he's recovered from injury and is getting his career back on track.

We've not seen him play; most of us probably hadn't heard of him a week ago. We've spoken regularly about Archie's lack of contacts and how it would be great to emulate Inverness who regularly pluck decent players from the obscurity of the English lower leagues. So aye, let's write him off as shite before we even see him.

From what I've read Gateshead fans aren't too glad that he's going. Are we sure he was 'released' or did he perhaps say that he wanted to try his luck elsewhere now that he's recovered from injury and is getting his career back on track.

We've not seen him play; most of us probably hadn't heard of him a week ago. We've spoken regularly about Archie's lack of contacts and how it would be great to emulate Inverness who regularly pluck decent players from the obscurity of the English lower leagues. So aye, let's write him off as shite before we even see him.

The boys that Inverness picked up weren't talent show winners on a downward spiral with two serious injuries.

He was definitely released. If you read some of his old tweets he said he wanted to stay.

Beat me to it.

Just because he won a tv talent show doesn't mean that he's automatically shite. If you read anything about him, he was with Leeds and middlesborough before that happened as well, so clearly he has something about him. And just because you keep saying downward spiral doesn't make it so, yes, he stepped down in the divisions in order to get first team football under his belt, how many players have we seen do that and then go on to prove that they are good enough. I'm not saying he's good enough for chelsea, he's clearly not or he'd be nowhere near us, but writing him off on the basis that he won a talent show is moronic in the extreme.

Ahhh! There's the negative shite I've been missing since we stayed up!

I can't wait until the season starts and we get our first loss, people on this forum will be so happy to get back into their groove.

What was negative about Trotter's statement?

He 'thinks' we should be expecting better.

I'm sure I read this was a forum which means opinions will be expressed.

From what I've read on twitter he's in the majority expressing that view.

Interesting to see a new account appear overnight which claims to be 'ITK' about our transfer dealings.

According to them, Magnay set to sign, Barr only training with no intention to sign yet. (Make of the yet what you will) & we approached Lee Miller but he'd already agreed to sign for Killie.

Can't all be happy clappers like you Peegreenboy, life would be boring.

Know what. It doesn't actually matter if I (or anyone else on here) am impressed with Barr and Magnay. It doesn't matter how they got to where they are. What matters is what they do at the training camp, how they impress Archie, how they perform with the medical staff and, most importantly, whether Archie and Shaggy think that they will improve the squad. How ever much we like to think otherwise, our thoughts don't actually count for much. Archies job is on the line based on how the team performs, so I trust him to make decisions that will benefit the team and I welcome all he signs (even Luis Suarez if he were to bid) until they prove different on the pitch when the real action starts.

• Like 1

Taylor I agree with but I'll say again if the quality of player that we are aiming at signing is a former winner of a TV football talent show who's career has been in a downward spiral since first getting a pro contract culminating in his most recent release at Gateshead & you're happy with that then that's your perogative.

Personally, with the increase in ST monies & with a bigger budget than last season at the manager's disposal I'd have hoped for better quality.

Whilst I'm not saying we should've signed all the guys mentioned above, surely you agree they're a better pedigree than a TV talent show winner?

Where did I express any opinion about Magnay apart from mentioning he's right sided?

To be blunt you're indicating in a previous post that we should have players in place prior to Spain. While I'm agreeing that would be preferable from an ideal point of view I'm pointing out that would likely require us missing out on targeted players.

If you expressed the same opinion this time last season (pre Durham) we'd have lost out on Higgy and have signed by all likelihood a vastly inferior player.

No doubt not expressing a negative opinion on a playing matter makes me in some eyes come across as a happy clapper. So be it. Certainly doesn't mean that posters who'll criticise the playing management at a drop of a hat have a monopoly on reasoned argument. Btw that's a generalisation and not aimed at any individual

Edited by lady-isobel-barnett

What was negative about Trotter's statement?

What was negative is we have over a month to go and we have no idea who all our targets are (actually apart from Taylor we have no idea at all). Giving a guy a trial doesn't mean he's a main target - in fact he's likely to not be a main target, since that would mean we're not 100% sure about him.

So month or more to go, plenty of time and guys are complaining either about the club being too slow or targeting players who aren't good enough when we don't really know who the club's targets are.

I'd call that pretty negative. It may end up that the club makes a few calls that deserve a bit of criticism (like Kerr last year) but we may not know for weeks to come yet. Can I repeat: we have no idea who the club are targeting.

Everyone's got a right to guess and give an opinion on whether that guess would be a good signing but the club have made no moves (since signing Ryan Stevenson) apart from Taylor who they can't really be criticised for failing to sign. So to suggest the club should be making better signings when we don't even know the real targets seems to me unfairly critical of the club and - yes - negative.

Edited by Mr Bunny