Thistle Transfer Targets Gossip, Summer 2014

yoda-jag

I think the longer it goes on the less likely we are to sign Taylor.

I would be disappointed if he signs for Hibs or Falkirk, especially Falkirk.

CALM YIR BREEKS! Nigel Clough is still on his holibags this week. If Taylor is signing for anyone it ain't gonna be this week. Saying that, checking official site 10 times a day this week is doin my nut it.

Lyle Taylor set to become a Scunthorpe United player in the next 24hrs according to twitter.

Disappointed if that's true, but at least he isn't going to another Scottish club. I am not a twitter user but where did this come from, Taylor himself, Scunthorpe etc

Looks like it is true

http://iron-bru.com/forums/topic/lyle-taylor/

http://www.scunthorpetelegraph.co.uk/Scunthorpe-United-chairman-Peter-Swann-confirms/story-21299885-detail/story.html?

Was really looking forward to having Taylor back this season however I always thought we would struggle to match his wages and also have to pay a fee to United. Still, looks like its time to move on

Edited by Lindau

Talk about damning someone with the faintest of praise...

He is a bit of a mouthpiece for the club in terms of stories that have run in the Evening Times. However as a journo with no real affinity to the club it's probably better to be seen agreeing with the policies the BoD make rather than criticise. You don't bite the hand that feeds you so to speak & he doesn't get the nickname 'union' for nothing.

Disappointed about Taylor, but relieved we won't see him lining up against us this season. Having said that, I did feel that he never really delivered on his early promise - something which seems to have followed him through his career to date. So, moving on, who should we go for instead? I assume we'll see the usual array of trialists over the next few weeks. Wouldn't it be nice if, just for once, we went out and signed someone we all immediately recognised as a good player? (Or just recognised...)

Pity about Taylor. He wasn't simply strong and a goal threat. He also got himself about the field and linked in well with our set up. What he offered was in no way unique but he's still quite a rare breed at our level. We'll be extremely fortunate to get a replacement with all his qualities.

Maybe now Archie will take a punt on youth upfront and use the funds earmarked for Taylor to strengthen elsewhere. If you simply can't get the "enough goals guaranteed striker" you have to make the team that bit harder to score against.

Put another way I don't want us to spend too much of our budget signing a lesser version of Kris Boyd. Rather rely on goals from midfield assisting what Doolan and a couple of promising youngsters (Duggan possibly being one) can produce.

Edited by lady-isobel-barnett

Farid would be a good option. Might have been a smokescreen but was Archie not interested before he shocked us by signing Taylor. Never got much of a chance at Tannadice and if you ask Falkirk fans who they would prefer out of the two, most would plump for Farid. Still, gutted that Taylor won't be here next season....I was positively salivating at the prospect of Stevo, Higgy, Dools and Lyle in attack

Edited by Lindau
  • Like 1

Very disappointed to lose out on him, especially since the move to Scunthorpe seemed to come out of absolutely nowhere. Another striker is definitely needed in my opinion, and one that does have a little more top-flight experience than the rest of the team.

Glad to see Archie hold back a little. By this time last season Baird and Kerr were already signed and that didn’t work out well. On the other hand, I think it’s important to do your business in a timely fashion to keep the other clubs away.

If this move to Scunthorpe does indeed turn out to be true, then it'll be disappointing but that's football. Not the first time we'll have missed out on a transfer target and it won't be the last. In any case, I'm sure Archie and the rest of the coaching staff will have other targets lined up just in case of this eventuality, some of whom we doubtless won't have heard of but may well come good. Personally, I couldn't care less who a player is or what kind of a reputation he comes with as long as he does a job for partick thistle, that's what I'm concerned with. Also not bothered when we get the signings made as long as it's before the transfer window closes. Our most important signing last season was undoubtedly higgy and he wasn't brought in till after the season had started.

Thats heartbreaking if it comes to fruition

It's not that bad. Just hope that there's been 'talks' with others though & we haven't put all our eggs in ine basket so to speak.

The trialist count at pre season training tomorrow & in Spain could be interesting.