Thistle Transfer Targets Gossip, Summer 2014

yoda-jag

Pretty sure Hamilton paraded three or four players last week, Killie have brought in a couple and were in the mix to sign Goodwillie, Dundee we already know, Ross Co are trialling about 100 players as usual. All I am saying is that it would give the whole club a boost if we could get a couple in asap. Getting a bit depressing picking up the papers and seeing clubs, linked with or signing up players, but zilch about Firhill activity. From last season we have lost ATS, Taylor, Bauban, Osborne, Mair and it looks like Gabby is offski. All first team regulars. With fitness doubts over SOD and Welsh, that means we need plenty in. Be good to see some of them coming in and getting settled at the club....the season starts in around 4 weeks!

Are either Mark Kerr or John Baird available? It would give the whole club a boost if we could get a couple in asap.

Isn't a scouting network meant to unearth upcoming talent ? What we are looking for are players who have experience of SPL level football and have shown that they are good enough for it.

Are we doing that?

Magnay, Mustoe this Summer,

Baird last.

Mark Kerr had SPL experience but was freed in Jan as clearly it was felt he wasn't good enough. You could argue same for Mair from Jan to May otherwise I doubt he'd have been released.

Even Taylor & Higginbotham didn't have SPL experience.

However if we apply that theory we should have beenin for players such as Miller, Cairney, Harkins, Thomson etc that others have said they're glad we haven't gone for.

For what it's worth, I think a scouting network should be identifying Scottish based talent whether it be SPL, u21 league or SFL that we could nurture & develop.

They should also have contacts (networking) for up & coming players in lower leagues down South & have contacts that may see foreign trialists come in on trial.

We seem to bring in UK based players on trial which is a little worrying as you'd have expected them to be scouted if we were interested initially.

And there will be players out there expecting a move that might never materialise who'll be looking for clubs as August looms nearer.

I'd be more concerned if I was, say, a County fan, facing another season of churn. How can they realistically expect to progress by unsettling their squad during every window?

And yet County suppprters seem more forgiving and patient compared with ours. I wonder why that's the case.

Edited by Dark Passenger

I have it on decent authority that Polish Centre back, Jaroslaw Fojut (Previously of Bolton and once linked with Celtic) sat out of Tromso's 0-0 draw at home to Sandefjord last night as Archie has offered him a trial.

Ratnamara just signed him up for 2 years. He sounds like what we need, experienced and solid/aggressive apparently.

I'd like to believe that had Archie got access to the funding McGregor can provide he'd use it more strategically. I realise due to their relative remoteness County will have a higher turnover of players than a central belt club. They also have limited access to local potential but Adams style of management is not what I'd want to see at Firhill.

Not that I ever really liked the lack of continuity under Lambie but at least he brought in strong characters with whom we could identify. Adams just uses up a budget knowing fine well a revised budget will be along in January.

Edited by lady-isobel-barnett

Talking of County, do you think we could sign any of their players. Not sure if he's out of contract but Graham Carey might be worth a shout?

perhaps if he doesn't join Coventry Archie may go for Brian McLean. He looked decent enough playing overage against us in a U20 game. I would have thought tho' Barr would still be a better signing as he's a bit more versatile. Fairly certain McLean is yet another right sided centre back. Ideally we really want someone naturally left footed.

Carey also played in that game. I kinda liken him to a stronger Ross Forbes but not quite as skilful, More able to defend but less of a threat going forward, No idea if he's available but I don't think his position is anywhere near priority.

Are we doing that?

Magnay, Mustoe this Summer,

Baird last.

Mark Kerr had SPL experience but was freed in Jan as clearly it was felt he wasn't good enough. You could argue same for Mair from Jan to May otherwise I doubt he'd have been released.

Even Taylor & Higginbotham didn't have SPL experience.

However if we apply that theory we should have beenin for players such as Miller, Cairney, Harkins, Thomson etc that others have said they're glad we haven't gone for.

For what it's worth, I think a scouting network should be identifying Scottish based talent whether it be SPL, u21 league or SFL that we could nurture & develop.

They should also have contacts (networking) for up & coming players in lower leagues down South & have contacts that may see foreign trialists come in on trial.

We seem to bring in UK based players on trial which is a little worrying as you'd have expected them to be scouted if we were interested initially.

Maybe a wee bit of selective reading going on. I was responding in the main to the point that the the lack of a scouting network could be responsible for not sourcing a replacement for ATS. I also said we needed players who have shown that they are capable of playing at SPL level, meaning to replace Mair, ATS and Taylor. Another minor point - Last season was different - we tried untested players to begin with and it didn't work too well.

What does that limit us to when considering players based in England. Or in Europe or further afield for that matter?

I don't think we are limited. We need to decide what level in other countries is equivalent to SPL(or Scottish Premier if you prefer). Eg Is it league 1 or 2 in England. ?