Thistle Transfer Targets Gossip, Summer 2014

yoda-jag

Who spotted Gary Fraser's potential? Or that of Stevie Lawless? I mean, the latter only had a few loan spells at Albion Rovers to boast of before he joined us.

Steven Lawless's potential was evident when he was at Motherwell. Their fans were disappointed when 'Well let him go. Similarly, Gary Fraser's potential was clear when he was with Hamilton and Wigan Athletic had spotted it too.

Steven Lawless...Their fans were disappointed when 'Well let him go.

Talk sh*te.

And Muirhead? And ATS?

I realise most of these were Mcnamara signings, but the point I'm making is that you don't need an exhaustive network or super scout (as nice as it would be to have them) to make decent signings.

Edited by Dark Passenger

Talk sh*te.

And Muirhead? And ATS?

I realise most of these were Mcnamara signings, but the point I'm making is that you don't need an exhaustive network or super scout (as nice as it would be to have them) to make decent signings.

Bobby Dinnie was still scouting for us until last year.

• Like 1

I suppose we owe all our recent success to that remarkable man, then. We'll never unearth a player of great potential again. Ever.

Not at all but the manager commented last season that he needed more scouting resources to find new talent. It's easier to scout young players who are playing in our leagues. Osbourne, Higginbotham, Taylor, Osman and Seabourne all came from League One clubs so they were/are experienced at playing at our level.

Not at all but the manager commented last season that he needed more scouting resources to find new talent. It's easier to scout young players who are playing in our leagues. Osbourne, Higginbotham, Taylor, Osman and Seabourne all came from League One clubs so they were/are experienced at playing at our level.

Sigh.

You don't deserve people trying to make sense of your inane drivel but are you implying this guy is rubbish purely because he played at a level below some players who were previously deemed not good enough?

Sigh.

You don't deserve people trying to make sense of your inane drivel but are you implying this guy is rubbish purely because he played at a level below some players who were previously deemed not good enough?

Our successful recruits have been from English clubs in League One. The Conference is two tiers below that level and Tamworth were were relegated from it last season with 39 points from 46 games games - less than a point per game. If you have watched Conference games last season, you would know how awful the standard is in that league.

Our successful recruits have been from English clubs in League One. The Conference is two tiers below that level and Tamworth were were relegated from it last season with 39 points from 46 games games - less than a point per game. If you have watched Conference games last season, you would know how awful the standard is in that league.

Which is presumably why he isn't being considered for the first team right away, and is being sent out on loan. I'm sure that there are a few good players in the division. The standard of football played by ATS before signing for us would have been lower still, surely?

An obvious point being ignored is that our new signing is 22 years old - in other words a young man with potential. Whether we can develop that or not is another matter but we've brought on several good young players so far so I'm reasonably confident we can do so with him. He looked not a bad player to me in the pre-season friendly - though obviously not a true competitive test - so I think this could be a good signing.

There have been countless examples of players playing in relatively low quality leagues who have gone on to make very good careers for themselves.

No idea why I am even engaging you with this

An obvious point being ignored is that our new signing is 22 years old - in other words a young man with potential. Whether we can develop that or not is another matter but we've brought on several good young players so far so I'm reasonably confident we can do so with him. He looked not a bad player to me in the pre-season friendly - though obviously not a true competitive test - so I think this could be a good signing.

Not at all disagreeing with your optimism, but what age was Gabby this time last year? Didn't we sign him in similar circumstances?

My point is that any signing is a risk, because there are no guarantees that it'll work out.

Those of us of a certain age may remember (or prefer not to remember) Harry Curran coming from St Johnstone in exchange for Roddy Grant. On paper it was an ideal signing, but he ended up being a total failure, and then some.

Which is presumably why he isn't being considered for the first team right away, and is being sent out on loan. I'm sure that there are a few good players in the division. The standard of football played by ATS before signing for us would have been lower still, surely?

Yes but ATS was 2 years younger when he signed for us. We were in the second tier at the time and he had time to develop.

We signed Coalan McAleer and sent him out on loan "to develop" but he was released this summer.

Is Ben Richards-Everton better than Liam Lindsay who reportedly did well with Alloa?

Not at all disagreeing with your optimism, but what age was Gabby this time last year? Didn't we sign him in similar circumstances?

My point is that any signing is a risk, because there are no guarantees that it'll work out.

Those of us of a certain age may remember (or prefer not to remember) Harry Curran coming from St Johnstone in exchange for Roddy Grant. On paper it was an ideal signing, but he ended up being a total failure, and then some.

My point was aimed at those suggesting he's likely to be no use because of the level he previously played at. Of course every signing is a risk and all managers will get some right and some wrong (e.g. Kerr last year) but the better managers will get more right than wrong.

Also it looks like Archie is going to loan him out for a brief spell and not throw him in at the deep end as we did with Piccolo last year. Something the manager has learned perhaps - also he has more leeway with budget this year seen by the fact we already have an experienced centre-half signed.

Yes but ATS was 2 years younger when he signed for us. We were in the second tier at the time and he had time to develop.

We signed Coalan McAleer and sent him out on loan "to develop" but he was released this summer.

Is Ben Richards-Everton better than Liam Lindsay who reportedly did well with Alloa?

How do you expect any of us to be able to answer that. At the end of the day Archie has had the boy on trial for a few weeks now and clearly seen there was enough talent to give him a years deal, seemingly with most of that spent on loan. Why you are so outraged by this signing is beyond me

I have no idea, I hope so and have faith in Archie's judgement. Equally I'm well aware it might not work out. Don't see the point of being so pessimistic five minutes after he's signed though.