Dumbarton Friendly

ThickAsThieves

• Members

Trying to figure out what formation that we'll line up with and the likely positions of the 4 trialists. Couple of defenders and a couple of midfielders starting maybe? Unless Dools is either playing up front along with someone or dropping back to midfield.

Lee Mair playing for the sons

Shuggie on the bench.

Looks like they've got together a good squad.

It's a tough one this year, with three teams, likely to take 3 of the top 4 places, do teams go all out and attempt to get in the top four, spending more than they normally would?

Could some of the better off Championship teams be competing with us for signings?

Shuggie on the bench.

Looks like they've got together a good squad.

It's a tough one this year, with three teams, likely to take 3 of the top 4 places, do teams go all out and attempt to get in the top four, spending more than they normally would?

Could some of the better off Championship teams be competing with us for signings?

Certainly feasible with big supports coming from the nig 3 in the league.

Just had a look at the OS listing of the team for today, all the trialists are listed with #squad numbers. Today there is a #13 trialist. As all the other #numbers used today are those of players who have left the club #3,#17,#19,#20,#21. Does the use of #13 mean that Gabby has left us rather than going out on loan? (or am reading too much into this?)

Pretty standard friendly this. Thistle controlled most of game without creating anything until right before half time when Higginbotham fired over after nice move. Dumbarton produced two good fox saves with nice moves on the counter

Darren Barr has looked fine although not done much and Mustoe is eager to go forward and seems to have a decent relationship with higginbotham already. The other two in the middle have done ok, both tidy enough on the ball and happy to sit in front of centre backs.

Higgy is head and shoulders above everyone on park. Elliot and Craigen struggling to make an impact

Anyone in attendance today see any possible signings from the trialists ?

There's a bit of chat over on Pie & Bovril. The general agreement from three or so fans was that Barr, Mustoe, the black central midfielder and the striker (they're pretty sure it's Kalen Dammesi) were decent enough. There was another left-back - who started and did okay too - and another central midfielder who I posted the pic of (no 13) who isn't worth another look.

Edited by ThickAsThieves
  • Like 1

Sure it was a friendly but we were lethargic as f**k this afternoon.

Barr was okay, nothing special and no better than Mair. If that's the calibre of player we're looking at for centre-backs I don't think we've gained anything out of not offering Mair a new contract.

The left-back in the first half was a grafter and of the style of player ATS was, but a bit podgey, not very quick, and quite heavy footed. He would be a clear step down as compared to what we have on the right wing, let alone on ATS.

The left-back in the second half seemed to be a more conventional left back than a winger, and I felt he did okay. Quite small and not terribly fit though.

I didn't rate either of the midfielders on trial in the first half. The African lad, I assume the same one as the Garscube Morton bounce game, was neat but unimposing. He would be a noticeable step back from, say, someone like Bauben on a mediocre day. The other midfielder, who looks like he was put on the rack during the Yugoslav civil wars, was massive but had the turning circle of a combine harvester whose power steering has just broken. I don't think we'll see these two again.

The trialist we threw up front in the second-half, a tall guy, possibly French, looked reasonable enough. I don't think we can judge how good he is based on that half hour or so.

What I was really impressed with was David Wilson. He was really crisp and quick in midfield, his distribution was decent and he was unlucky not to score. He'd do no worse in the first team than any of the trialists we saw today. He reminds me a bit of Bannigan 2-3 years ago. Could be a promising prospect.

I'd be a little bit disappointed if by close of the window we can't do better than Barr at centre-back and I'd be very uninspired if either of the left-backs today replaced ATS. I'm not expecting another 5 rabbits out the hat Stevenson or Higginbotham-style, but frankly we need one or two and preferably at least one in defence.

• Like 1

Sure it was a friendly but we were lethargic as f**k this afternoon.

Barr was okay, nothing special and no better than Mair. If that's the calibre of player we're looking at for centre-backs I don't think we've gained anything out of not offering Mair a new contract.

The left-back in the first half was a grafter and of the style of player ATS was, but a bit podgey, not very quick, and quite heavy footed. He would be a clear step down as compared to what we have on the right wing, let alone on ATS.

The left-back in the second half seemed to be a more conventional left back than a winger, and I felt he did okay. Quite small and not terribly fit though.

I didn't rate either of the midfielders on trial in the first half. The African lad, I assume the same one as the Garscube Morton bounce game, was neat but unimposing. He would be a noticeable step back from, say, someone like Bauben on a mediocre day. The other midfielder, who looks like he was put on the rack during the Yugoslav civil wars, was massive but had the turning circle of a combine harvester whose power steering has just broken. I don't think we'll see these two again.

The trialist we threw up front in the second-half, a tall guy, possibly French, looked reasonable enough. I don't think we can judge how good he is based on that half hour or so.

What I was really impressed with was David Wilson. He was really crisp and quick in midfield, his distribution was decent and he was unlucky not to score. He'd do no worse in the first team than any of the trialists we saw today. He reminds me a bit of Bannigan 2-3 years ago. Could be a promising prospect.

I'd be a little bit disappointed if by close of the window we can't do better than Barr at centre-back and I'd be very uninspired if either of the left-backs today replaced ATS. I'm not expecting another 5 rabbits out the hat Stevenson or Higginbotham-style, but frankly we need one or two and preferably at least one in defence.

Good appraisal of the game but always difficult to judge players in a pre season game, but for me none of the trialists impressed at all, IMO none of them appeared to be SPFL class and that includes Darren Barr who hardly attacked the ball the whole game. Left the game worried if that was the quality of players/trialists that we can attract.