Dumbarton Friendly

ThickAsThieves

I was sure Higgy was calling the left back in the first half Jordan, assuming it was Mustoe? I thought he looked like a good player and was always looking to go forward, he reminded me of a cross between Paton and Sinclair, would like to see him again. I thought Barr looked solid enough, hes obviously a good player so id be happy with him. the number 13, or Hulk as I was calling him was shite, he looked so slow and overweight I'm surprised he even got a start, I could tell from the warm up he was pish. I liked the look of the other guy in midfield, he looked really fit, won a few balls , never gave the ball away. would like to see him again aswell, I thought when he and the lb went off it was to keep them away from other potential scouts. I'm sure Archie done the same with gabby,he had a good first half vs Limassol then went off after 50 off mins and signed after the game. Wilson looked steady in midfield.Steevo scored a decent goal .the trialist striker had 2 good chances and could be worth another look. McMillan was much better than SOD, Craigen doesn't really offer us anything going forward, I doubt he will get the near the first team if Bannigan Fraser Higgy Steevo and Lawless/a n other are fit. it was also good to see Murhead back looking fit aswell.

Thought Barr was ok today won almost every ball into the area. with one eye closed looks like douggie somner in his hey day

Left back in the first half thought he did well linked up with Higgy

And he could put a in a good cross

The boy that came on second half up front I would say should be given another chance

The young lad that came on second half I believe it was David Wilson looks a real prospect

So onwards and upwards

Sure it was a friendly but we were lethargic as f**k this afternoon.

Barr was okay, nothing special and no better than Mair. If that's the calibre of player we're looking at for centre-backs I don't think we've gained anything out of not offering Mair a new contract.

The left-back in the first half was a grafter and of the style of player ATS was, but a bit podgey, not very quick, and quite heavy footed. He would be a clear step down as compared to what we have on the right wing, let alone on ATS.

The left-back in the second half seemed to be a more conventional left back than a winger, and I felt he did okay. Quite small and not terribly fit though.

I didn't rate either of the midfielders on trial in the first half. The African lad, I assume the same one as the Garscube Morton bounce game, was neat but unimposing. He would be a noticeable step back from, say, someone like Bauben on a mediocre day. The other midfielder, who looks like he was put on the rack during the Yugoslav civil wars, was massive but had the turning circle of a combine harvester whose power steering has just broken. I don't think we'll see these two again.

The trialist we threw up front in the second-half, a tall guy, possibly French, looked reasonable enough. I don't think we can judge how good he is based on that half hour or so.

What I was really impressed with was David Wilson. He was really crisp and quick in midfield, his distribution was decent and he was unlucky not to score. He'd do no worse in the first team than any of the trialists we saw today. He reminds me a bit of Bannigan 2-3 years ago. Could be a promising prospect.

I'd be a little bit disappointed if by close of the window we can't do better than Barr at centre-back and I'd be very uninspired if either of the left-backs today replaced ATS. I'm not expecting another 5 rabbits out the hat Stevenson or Higginbotham-style, but frankly we need one or two and preferably at least one in defence.

What is the difference in not being able to judge the trialist on half an hour but being impressed by Wilson who also played half an hour ?

What is the difference in not being able to judge the trialist on half an hour but being impressed by Wilson who also played half an hour ?

They were playing different positions. Wilson was in midfield and heavily involved in the game for the 30 minutes he was playing.

The trialist that was only on for half an hour was playing in a more advanced position, and saw less of the ball.

Sure it was a friendly but we were lethargic as f**k this afternoon.

Barr was okay, nothing special and no better than Mair. If that's the calibre of player we're looking at for centre-backs I don't think we've gained anything out of not offering Mair a new contract.

The left-back in the first half was a grafter and of the style of player ATS was, but a bit podgey, not very quick, and quite heavy footed. He would be a clear step down as compared to what we have on the right wing, let alone on ATS.

The left-back in the second half seemed to be a more conventional left back than a winger, and I felt he did okay. Quite small and not terribly fit though.

I didn't rate either of the midfielders on trial in the first half. The African lad, I assume the same one as the Garscube Morton bounce game, was neat but unimposing. He would be a noticeable step back from, say, someone like Bauben on a mediocre day. The other midfielder, who looks like he was put on the rack during the Yugoslav civil wars, was massive but had the turning circle of a combine harvester whose power steering has just broken. I don't think we'll see these two again.

The trialist we threw up front in the second-half, a tall guy, possibly French, looked reasonable enough. I don't think we can judge how good he is based on that half hour or so.

What I was really impressed with was David Wilson. He was really crisp and quick in midfield, his distribution was decent and he was unlucky not to score. He'd do no worse in the first team than any of the trialists we saw today. He reminds me a bit of Bannigan 2-3 years ago. Could be a promising prospect.

I'd be a little bit disappointed if by close of the window we can't do better than Barr at centre-back and I'd be very uninspired if either of the left-backs today replaced ATS. I'm not expecting another 5 rabbits out the hat Stevenson or Higginbotham-style, but frankly we need one or two and preferably at least one in defence.

Shouting 'Manny' at 1st half trialist left back. He was good going forward but didn't have to do a lot defensively so hard to judge, He was blowing out his ar$e after 30mins though. Another week's training & see if he can defend. Probably in the worth another look category.

Barr had nothing much to do first half but won a couple of headers. Culpable at the goal though as didn't track Prunty's run. Distribution poor also. Don't think he's the answer to our centre half problems.

Of the 2 centre midfield trialists, the no. 20 was reasonably impressive. Thought he did well screening in front of back 4 & always wanted the ball. Would need to see him against better opposition but looked the part first 45mins before subbed at HT.

The no.13 however. Someone mentioned on Twitter about The Great Khali.... That's who he looked like & played like also possibly!!

Mustoe was 2nd half LB. Not for me... Distribution poor, not great in the air & very poor in the tackle. Too many crosses in from our left 2nd half including their goal. Probably says it all.

No.21, hard to judge on 30mins. Looked like he had a nice touch & got into the position to miss a couple of chances. Would've liked to have seen him at the start of the game up against someone like Lee Mair but probably worth another look.

I wouldn't sign any of the trialists on today's showing. The No. 20 definitely worth another look at and would possibly consider 21 and 3 but they would need to show much better quality on the ball and selection of option. The chances passed up by 21 would worry me he is not a natural finisher.

As already stated earlier there was no urgency in the play at any stage, also hope Ryan Stevenson can back up his big time charlie act as he strutted about like the dogs and barked out at team mates too much for my liking.

Just a friendly though the time to really judge is weeks away.

Number 13 where did he come from, useless, SOD somehow has forgotten all positional sense, when In doubt assumes anyones but his own position, foxy very poor distribution, Higgy his usual flamboyant self, worked hard, Elliott quiet first half much better once SOD got pulled off, all in all worrying too watch.

Not sure you can make assessments of unknown trialists as you don't know what level of pre season they're at. Barr at least we know about and he looked OK. I noticed the pace picked up in the second half as the game progressed and the fact there were less trialists on then is possibly significant.

The attacker that replaced Doolan was unlucky with his first attempt at goal but should really have scored with the next one. The two left backs were different types of player. The guy in the first half happy to attack while the lad in the second looked more orthodox. Must have been difficult for the other two trialists having to play together in central midfield. I think we'd only see one or both of them again if they're behind in their training schedules

Don't think there's much to be said one way or other about our own players. Looked just about right for this time pre season. Maybe not quite as sharp as when we were a league below but not the same urgency.

Not sure you can make assessments of unknown trialists as you don't know what level of pre season they're at. Barr at least we know about and he looked OK. I noticed the pace picked up in the second half as the game progressed and the fact there were less trialists on then is possibly significant.

The attacker that replaced Doolan was unlucky with his first attempt at goal but should really have scored with the next one. The two left backs were different types of player. The guy in the first half happy to attack while the lad in the second looked more orthodox. Must have been difficult for the other two trialists having to play together in central midfield. I think we'd only see one or both of them again if they're behind in their training schedules

Don't think there's much to be said one way or other about our own players. Looked just about right for this time pre season. Maybe not quite as sharp as when we were a league below but not the same urgency.

Think the disappointing aspect from my point of view regarding transfer activity etc is we were given different sound bytes re Scott Paterson better standard of players etc , can you honestly say the two full backs who were trialists were anywhere near the level of ATS or the forward who came on as good as Lyle Taylor, think with the season 3 weeks away it's now a race against time to get the right standard of player in .

Think the disappointing aspect from my point of view regarding transfer activity etc is we were given different sound bytes re Scott Paterson better standard of players etc , can you honestly say the two full backs who were trialists were anywhere near the level of ATS or the forward who came on as good as Lyle Taylor, think with the season 3 weeks away it's now a race against time to get the right standard of player in .

Unless as I say there's match fitness issues I would agree that neither full back is likely to be a match for ATS. But in all seriousness I doubt many of us would have thought we'd be close to matching ATS's quality. The lad that replaced Doolan looked to me more settled out wide when Duggan swapped with him. So I don't see him anywhere near Taylor.

Got a feeling Barr will be signed and wouldn't be that surprised to see the 2nd half LB (Mustoe?) also taken on.

Googling the names of the - up til now - unknown trialists, explains Archie's interest. You can see what he's after - more strength and dig in the holding midfielders, so Osman and Bencharif are being looked at, pace up front, so Damessi gets a chance, and a left back, so Mustoe and Parsons. For me, Darren Barr should be signed - he's got the experience and he plays the position really well. Unlike others on here, I see him as a definite improvement on Lee Mair. Only Archie will be able to tell from working with these guys whether they're up for it or not.

Googling the names of the - up til now - unknown trialists, explains Archie's interest. You can see what he's after - more strength and dig in the holding midfielders, so Osman and Bencharif are being looked at, pace up front, so Damessi gets a chance, and a left back, so Mustoe and Parsons. For me, Darren Barr should be signed - he's got the experience and he plays the position really well. Unlike others on here, I see him as a definite improvement on Lee Mair. Only Archie will be able to tell from working with these guys whether they're up for it or not.

Not sure Barr better than Mair or Picollo for that matter. That & his injury record means I'd be looking elsewhere but I think we'll sign him.

The first half left back was not good enough. The one in the second half should get a full game to have a closer look.

The tall African midfielder also should get another game. Was surprised to see him taken off at half time but maybe he took a knock.

The trialist striker that came off the bench looked useful but would need more time to look at him. He had two chances and really should have finished at least one. That said his movement and touch were good.

Darren Bar played well, he is little short of fitness and tired as the game went on. Remember he has been out for a good while. Pretty sure Barr will sign soon. His injury history is a worry though.

Thought Dumbarton look a decent side and should stay up no bother.

Barr would be a half decent signing, but only if he is fully fit and that is a big if! If he takes an early injury it will mean we are left to run with Conrad and Aero, which could be costly. There is also a lack of mobility if we pair Barr and Balatoni and a lack of height if we pair any of the three. The defence is looking a major problem at the moment, with the LB position still giving concern. If Gabby is away, I think we need another two central defender brought in and obviously a left back. Holding midfielder and another striker required as well. Archie said we need 5/6 players brought in and I think he is spot on, though I wouldn't be surprised if he gave a couple of the young lads a serious chance this season.

Has picollo left us

Be good if the club told us what was going on here and an update on Welsh would be appreciated as well. Gabby had a tough baptism last season, but I thought he might kick on this season after a years experience. Didn't travel to Spain, not in the squad yesterday, must mean he is seriously out of favour for some reason or he has asked to go back home