Piccolo

jlsarmy

Find it a bit bizarre what's happening with Piccolo especially with our lack of numbers in the squad. Over the course of last season Piccolo had a dreadful start to his PTFC career ( the Aberdeen game comes to mind) but improved a lot thoughtout the course of the season as did a lot of players Balatoni, Bannigan , Fraser etc as they got used to the rigours of the Premier League. I don't see any benefit in sending Piccolo out on loan , if that was going to happen it should have happened last year to get experience of Scottish football not in the 2nd year of his contract. After watching some of the trialists yesterday some who looked totally unfit I find the Piccolo situation a bit strange. Watching him last season there always was a mistake in him but same could have been said for Balatoni but IMO there is a player in there maybe not a central defender but could be a defensive midfielder. Seems there is a conflict between Piccolos Latin temperament and Archie's Glaswegian approach !

yeah I thought the same, let him get a full pre season behind him training with the team and he could turn out to be half decent but who knows whats happened. In hindsight offering a guy a 2 year deal after a good first half against Limassol wasn't the smartest thing to do. Beattie coming out in Spain and telling folk he was away when we haven't signed a replacement for Mair was a bit weird.

Feeling a bit sorry for the big fella. Seems to be totally out in the cold. Can't be easy when you are away from home. Still think he could do a job for us if we could farm him out to a lower league Scottish club for the first half of the season

Edited by Lindau

Not that I don't agree with two or three comments already made I don't believe this thread will be beneficial.

So to attempt to kill what could be only be harmful I'd like to plead to the usual suspects who post on here with the oft fictitious "I know for a fact", "I've heard from a reliable source" blah blah to please give this one a miss. We all know who I'm talking about and it'll be difficult for them not to shove their oar in. Just hope they leave this one alone and concentrate on their drivel on other threads

• Like 1

Not that I don't agree with two or three comments already made I don't believe this thread will be beneficial.

So to attempt to kill what could be only be harmful I'd like to plead to the usual suspects who post on here with the oft fictitious "I know for a fact", "I've heard from a reliable source" blah blah to please give this one a miss. We all know who I'm talking about and it'll be difficult for them not to shove their oar in. Just hope they leave this one alone and concentrate on their drivel on other threads

Thread was only started because obviously Piccolo is out in the cold with no feedback at all from the club and having watched some of the trialists down at Dumbarton who were seriously struggling for fitness some of us found this a bit bizarre. Why would you leave this topic alone LIB unless you know a story that no one else knows ?

Thread was only started because obviously Piccolo is out in the cold with no feedback at all from the club and having watched some of the trialists down at Dumbarton who were seriously struggling for fitness some of us found this a bit bizarre. Why would you leave this topic alone LIB unless you know a story that no one else knows ?

Sorry, didn't mean it like that. Just that imo there's a good few on here who regularly claim to be "in the know" who post inaccurate drivel. I would agree with you that Gabriel's absence combined with Beattie's comments with no website info to support them is all a bit confusing.

My point is, given all that, this thread is ripe for either ill founded speculation or just plain nonsense posting. Usually completely harmless but somehow I just feel in this instance it might not be.

Do you want them to run a 'Piccolo might go out on loan' story on the official site?

Most likely that Piccolo has asked to go back to Spain.

Do you want them to run a 'Piccolo might go out on loan' story on the official site?

Most likely that Piccolo has asked to go back to Spain.

Fair enough , wasn't meant to be a controversial thread but after watching the trialists on Saturday most of whom wouldn't get get a game for a first division team , surely as supporters we're due some sort of explanation , could have been any player it just happens to be Piccolo. If he does want to go back to Spain then we would be due a transfer fee as he is still under contract and presumably he would have something else lined up , debateable that's the reason .

Bumping this thread after a week's inactivity on it to ask if anyone has inside knowledge on whether Piccolo is injured, away on trial or simply out of favour. It seems very odd that he has not made a pre-season appearance.

Edited by kni

Someone asked him on Twitter if he was injured, he said no he was fine.

Beattie said he's going out on loan, did he not? Strange that he didn't go to Spain though as that's where he's meant to be heading. Don't know any ins and outs about whether he's been frozen out for a reason, but as fans we're definitely being frozen out. Why doesn't Chris Jack ask Archie about Piccolo?

Heard roughly what's going on and I think it's safe to say Gabby's unlikely to feature in the first team just now. Appears to be a not uncommon situation, which should get sorted out in time. l Won't say anything else as there's still a bit of conjecture involved.

LIB gets controversial, there is probably 3 scenarios which are panning out, he's been asked to go out on loan and refused therefore the club is freezing him out, the other is they want to pay him off the remainder of his contract and he's refused the money they've offered therefore the club is freezing him out and finally he's had a massive fallout with Archie. Whatever the story you've heard LIB it seems incredibly bad management unless we've got a better replacement lined up , IMO not Darren Barr, what happens if Muirhead/Balatoni gets injured , Archie shouldn't be burning his bridges unless he's got someone else lined up, incredibly naive management.

LIB gets controversial, there is probably 3 scenarios which are panning out, he's been asked to go out on loan and refused therefore the club is freezing him out, the other is they want to pay him off the remainder of his contract and he's refused the money they've offered therefore the club is freezing him out and finally he's had a massive fallout with Archie. Whatever the story you've heard LIB it seems incredibly bad management unless we've got a better replacement lined up , IMO not Darren Barr, what happens if Muirhead/Balatoni gets injured , Archie shouldn't be burning his bridges unless he's got someone else lined up, incredibly naive management.

It may be bad/naive management, but why is it the default position of many supporters. I think there are other possibilities like a problem with his visa, could be a personal problem

Archie shouldn't be burning his bridges unless he's got someone else lined up, incredibly naive management.

Amazing how you have drawn this conclusion from the limited info available. Putting the individuals aside you don't seem capable of imagining a scenario or set of circumstances where a manager is right to exclude a player from his squad or plans? In your opinion not having a replacement is naive management, Picollo is no Suarez and if PTFC can't exclude a player at the managers discretion football in general is fecked. Other than the managers perogative to make a footballing decision the only other consideration is that he needs to respect the individual concerned and be fair with them as long as the individual respects the managers decision.

Amazing how you have drawn this conclusion from the limited info available. Putting the individuals aside you don't seem capable of imagining a scenario or set of circumstances where a manager is right to exclude a player from his squad or plans? In your opinion not having a replacement is naive management, Picollo is no Suarez and if PTFC can't exclude a player at the managers discretion football in general is fecked. Other than the managers perogative to make a footballing decision the only other consideration is that he needs to respect the individual concerned and be fair with them as long as the individual respects the managers decision.

Part of the limited information was actually from David Beattie over in Murcia who actually told supporters that Piccolo was actually going on loan , professional or what ? . Yes you're absolutely right with your other points but Archie gave the player a 2 year deal and if you watched Piccolo last year he improved as did Balatoni , McMillan etc , having released Mair we're struggling to get 1 CH in never mind 2 , the lack of information coming from the club is always going to lead to conjecture, we can only surmise it's to protect the player ( personal problem etc) but frankly that's highly debateable . Edited by jlsarmy

Can't understand the love-in for Piccolo!! He is a Bombscare and only improved by being dumped on the bench. Even when he came on to help the defense he was a liability. Dreadful in the air, constantly ball watching, man-marking non existent. Not good enough by a long way!!!!

Sometimes can't really believe this forum, must be the pre season boredom.

Passed by Garscube on saturday, all the players except injured few (Bannigan, Welsh) took part in training and were having a good laugh with each other and the management team between sets, Gabby and a few others completed all training and got changed when the game set up was worked on for those travelling to Belfast on Sunday.

Had a chat with him when I met him later down the clydeside, seemed in good form, players move on big wow.

• Like 1

Everyone will have differing opinions of his contribution and ability.

I think he improved greatly over the course of the season. And there are strong signs that he has the ability to hold down a starting place this season.

It would seem Archie completely disagrees. That's fine, he's the boss, however, the problem I have is how the club have treated him over the last few months. And what impression that gives off to players/agents considering our club.

Everyone will have differing opinions of his contribution and ability.

I think he improved greatly over the course of the season. And there are strong signs that he has the ability to hold down a starting place this season.

It would seem Archie completely disagrees. That's fine, he's the boss, however, the problem I have is how the club have treated him over the last few months. And what impression that gives off to players/agents considering our club.

I agree, I can see potential in Gabby. He is fairly mobile, tall, quite strong and wins a lot in the air. I feel he needs discipline (in a positional and role sense, not behaviour) and to learn to read the game better - both should come in time with experience playing. I think a 6 month or season-long loan to the Championship would be ideal.

Archie works with him almost daily though so he will have a better idea than me of any potential!

Edited by mhs

Can't understand the love-in for Piccolo!! He is a Bombscare and only improved by being dumped on the bench. Even when he came on to help the defense he was a liability. Dreadful in the air, constantly ball watching, man-marking non existent. Not good enough by a long way!!!!

Have to agree with this .& don't think he improved greatly through the season as others have suggested.

Distribution poor also.

Was a panic signing for me. After umpteen trialists not fitting the bill last season, he played a half decent game against a Cypriot team & was offered a contract.

The dangers of trialists...

For what it's worth, I agree that gabby improved over the course of the season and actually had a few games where he looked very good (Celtic away I thought he was excellent in particular). However, if Archie doesn't fancy him then fair enough, he's paid to make these decisions and if that's his opinion then so be it. However, the whole thing has been handled poorly it would seem, david Beattie talking to fans regarding what a player is doing without consulting the player before hand is highly unprofessional and shows a lack of respect towards picollo. Whether or not you'll be glad to see the back of him or think he's good enough or whatever, he shouldn't have to hear about his career trajectory after the fans have. I think this is the main thing which is objectionable in this, the way he's been treated by certain members of the back room staff rather than how good he is.