Dundee United

ThickAsThieves

This will be my first trip to Tannadice - couldn't go last season as I was at the Scotland rugby match. Looking forward to it, although it'll be a tough match. This is the team I'd go with...

Fox

O'Donnell - Frans - Seaborne - McMillan

Osman - Bannigan

Elliott - Stevenson - Lawless

Doolan

Gallacher

Carroll

Balatoni

Wilson / Welsh?

Craigen

McDaid

Eccleston

Edited by ThickAsThieves

I don't think Archie will make any changes to the starting 11 after a win last week, Craigen,Balatoni and Doolan don't deserve to be dropped IMO.

The signing of Frans for 3 months is a weird one, why sign him if he's not going to play? especially when we have Aero and Lindsay as back up.

We need plenty of energy in midfield so not much point in playing Stevenson when you have Dow,Erskine,GMS and Ciftci running at us from all angles. we need to keep the ball on the deck as this big Fojut dumpling will just header everything up against Dools all day. I don't hold out much hope for even a point, plus we've not won 2 back to back games in this division! another 3 or 4 job for UTD I'm afraid.

We needed another centre-half in, as we showed we were exposed whenever Seaborne was missing. You were then left with Balatoni and Muirhead, which is not good news.

So it was imperative we signed another defender, the three months to me means either that's the longest he'd accept, or it's our decision to wait until January to see whether Richards-Everton is good enough to start or whether we'll look to extend Frans' contract.

As we just had an international break - so haven't played since two weeks ago - I don't think it would be that drastic to make changes. Stevenson's track record obviously shows he's a good player, he just hasn't shown it with us yet. I'd give him another chance in this one. Doolan scored against Motherwell and so probably will start, I just wouldn't be surprised to see Eccleston get a run of games soon.

Fox

O'Donnell - Frans - Seaborne - McMillan

Osman - Bannigan

Lawless - Craigen - Elliott

Doolan

Doolan played well and scored a very good goal against motherwell - he should not be dropped. Archie did say that Eccleston was close to starting the Motherwell game but an on form Doolan should be played.

Craigan should keep his place, he gave the ball away too much for my liking against motherwell but did play well in parts of the game. I hoping he can progress this year, really needs to start scoring to justify his place in the team though. Gets himself into good positions but has not provided the finish.

Big decision on whether to put Fans in, does Archie wait till he has another game under his belt or just put him in as soon as possible? Could go either way but I have feeling he will play.

Edited by Alan Murray

It's never an easy choice to change a team that's just won well. That said changing a centreback is a less difficult decision. For an obvious reason Frans has to get involved very soon. Saturday may be due to fitness too early but I think that would be the only reason for him not starting.

The only other change to the side could be tactical. Perhaps a less attacking line up as we're away from home against a top six club. Probably won't happen tho'.

There really isn't enough imagination used here to deal with the next match. Obviously, the defence needs tightening up against a freescoring side like Dundee United. Meanwhile, Doolan isn't getting enough of the ball to score, and the Dundee United midfield is very good. Here's the solution:

Fox

O' Donnell Balatoni Seabourne Muirhead McMillan

Osman Bannigan

Lawless

Frans Doolan

The defence is tightened up by 5 players, and the opposing midfield is cut out by papping high balls up to our newly-acquired giant, who nods down for Doolan or Lawless to put it in the net. Simple! :ph34r:

:D

• Like 2

• Members
and the opposing midfield is cut out by papping high balls up to our newly-acquired giant, who nods down for Doolan or Lawless to put it in the net. Simple! :ph34r:

:D

So it wasn't just me who looked at the guy, noted his height and immediately thought of Jukka Santala! :D

I thought of Duke Getankawa is he the same guy?

Most certainly was. Played in same team as Scott McKellar (Big Boab McCulloch) but a couple of seasons before Doohlan.

eta a quick BBC search and lo & behold http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/scot_cups/4510862.stm

Incredible!

Edited by lady-isobel-barnett

Most certainly was. Played in same team as Scott McKellar (Big Boab McCulloch) but a couple of seasons before Doohlan.

eta a quick BBC search and lo & behold http://news.bbc.co.u...ups/4510862.stm

Incredible!

Remember that day well.

Was heavily aflicted with Man Flu and really shouldn't have gone to the game. And for the second occasion I was a victim of identity fraud when some chancer stole my press pass simply by claiming to be me. :-) Easier to sort out at Ochilview (just pay in and give the guy a boot in the baws) than it is at Ibrox where it previously happened.

There really isn't enough imagination used here to deal with the next match. Obviously, the defence needs tightening up against a freescoring side like Dundee United. Meanwhile, Doolan isn't getting enough of the ball to score, and the Dundee United midfield is very good. Here's the solution: Fox O' Donnell Balatoni Seabourne Muirhead McMillan Osman Bannigan Lawless Frans Doolan The defence is tightened up by 5 players, and the opposing midfield is cut out by papping high balls up to our newly-acquired giant, who nods down for Doolan or Lawless to put it in the net. Simple! :ph34r::D

Three centre backs to mark United's lone striker and two in midfield to deal with the three that play off United's lone striker?

Looks like in mid November we can be seeing Fraser, Welsh and Higginbotham all coming into the team within a week or two of each other. In my opinion probably our three best players.

Away to United is one of those games that you don't expect anything, so even a point would be great.

I'd give Frans a start.

...................... Gallacher ........................

O'Donnell .. Frans .. Seaborne .. McMillan

................ Osman ... Bannigan ............

.... Lawless ..... Craigen ... Stevenson ......

....................... Eccleston .......................

Got a feeling Archie will play Fox. He will also play Elliot for his so called ability to mix it up physically - so could see Craigen falling out, maybe Lawless but I think he's played too well to drop.

Most certainly was. Played in same team as Scott McKellar (Big Boab McCulloch) but a couple of seasons before Doohlan. eta a quick BBC search and lo & behold http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/scot_cups/4510862.stm Incredible!

:lol: :lol: :lol::thumbsup:

I note Ricky Gillies in the team sheet ... one of quite a few guys who came to us with a bit of a reputation: though maybe not the player he was he still was young enough at 30 to have re-established himself and should at least have been a half-decent signing for us. But like many of these guys I mentioned he flattered to deceive (cliché alert) and in the end did very little for us. Big disappointment.

Looks like in mid November we can be seeing Fraser, Welsh and Higginbotham all coming into the team within a week or two of each other. In my opinion probably our three best players. Away to United is one of those games that you don't expect anything, so even a point would be great. I'd give Frans a start. ...................... Gallacher ........................ O'Donnell .. Frans .. Seaborne .. McMillan ................ Osman ... Bannigan ............ .... Lawless ..... Craigen ... Stevenson ...... ....................... Eccleston ....................... Got a feeling Archie will play Fox. He will also play Elliot for his so called ability to mix it up physically - so could see Craigen falling out, maybe Lawless but I think he's played too well to drop.

Whether Frans will play right away will depend how he is fitting in with our other defenders in training and bounce games. It's not a game the manager will want to take too many risks in. I agree Elliot will probably play but as much for his pace as his strength - he'll probably play the same side as O'Donnell to give extra cover against McKay-Stevenson who is very quick. Doolan will start: you don't drop a guy who has been playing well and scored in his last game.

If Craigen plays he will play a bit deeper I think to make a midfield three at times to counteract United's three attackers. More pressure on the front three but Dools, Lawless and Elliot (especially) are all pretty quick. But it depends on the manager's tactics which none of us can really read. He may bring back Stevenson and play him in a more deeper midfield role, but who would get dropped I don't know - Craigen I suppose.

Looks like in mid November we can be seeing Fraser, Welsh and Higginbotham all coming into the team within a week or two of each other. In my opinion probably our three best players.

Away to United is one of those games that you don't expect anything, so even a point would be great.

I'd give Frans a start.

...................... Gallacher ........................

O'Donnell .. Frans .. Seaborne .. McMillan

................ Osman ... Bannigan ............

.... Lawless ..... Craigen ... Stevenson ......

....................... Eccleston .......................

Got a feeling Archie will play Fox. He will also play Elliot for his so called ability to mix it up physically - so could see Craigen falling out, maybe Lawless but I think he's played too well to drop.

Your 11 proves that football is a game of opinions.

I see it is just over 20 years ago since we last won there, 15th Oct 1994. I don't remember being at the game, any idea who scored for us? The previous time to that was 1972/73. Dreadful record up there

did Ian Cameron score the goal that day?

Edited by jaggy

:lol: :lol: :lol::thumbsup:

I note Ricky Gillies in the team sheet ... one of quite a few guys who came to us with a bit of a reputation: though maybe not the player he was he still was young enough at 30 to have re-established himself and should at least have been a half-decent signing for us. But like many of these guys I mentioned he flattered to deceive (cliché alert) and in the end did very little for us. Big disappointment.

Another one of The ***** failings. We had Andy Gibson to play right midfield. The Dick played Gillies at Right Mid. Gillies had never played right mid in his life. Never had the legs for it, and at 30 was never going to magically find them!

Gillies had spent his entire career playing behind the striker, he played there once for Thistle. And scored away at Stenny. Possibly a cup game?