Ryan Stevenson

ayrshire jag

Jags fans were all delighted that Ryan signed for us in summer, he was our stellar signing. After a quiet start his form has seriously dipped to the extent he is now a sub playing a cameo role.

What had happened to the man. Questions have been raised about his fitness levels and his commitment. I really hope he can turn it around and be player we all know he is capable of being. Perhaps being played as sole striker at start of season has dented his confidence but for sure he is not a shadow of the player he was for Hearts last season. Maybe he had personal issues that are affecting him, who knows.

Come on Ryan show us what you are capable of.We want you to be a success.

AJ

Seemed more interested in wrestling with the defenders in his cameo today. A decent cross came in & he just stood wrestling with the defender instead of trying to get his head on the ball, whereas Doolan had really put himself about (especially in the 1st half) & really seemed to unsettle the defenders. Not something you'd usually associate with Doolan but as there was more long balls today than usual (into good areas, not just hoofs up the park) he adapted well & put the defenders under pressure.

It is harsh to judge him on the short time he had on the pitch but he didn't make an impact like you'd hope he might after a disappointing start to his Thistle career.

Edited by 1 John Lambie

I could see why he was brought on but it backfired. We needed to hold the ball up the pitch (Stevenson is a past master doing that) with maybe Ryan laying off a ball to Lawless.or Elliott to squeeze a goal. Didn't work and I'm worried Stevenson is just what i said with the emphasis on the word "past". The wrestling 1 JL mentions was more what you expect from a tired attacker and not someone just on the pitch.

All players are different and in his defence I wouldn't ever associate Stevenson and the term fresh legs but he was so off the pace when he came on that I honestly can't remember a least effective substitution. If you want to be cruel you could say after the ordering off we were effectively down to nine men Being kind to Stevenson and saying the red card jettisoned the game plan might be a tad generous.

It's annoying that he's shoe horned into the team for better and more willing players just because he's on big money.

We all wanted him to be a success but it's clearly not working out.

I hope we're not stuck with him for 2 years. He's one of the worst signings the club have made in a long, long time.

You can't judge a player by what they do as a late sub into a game. Very very few players make much impact at all. Erskine is the only super-sub player we have had recently, who used to come on and make a difference before he got started every week.

Give Stevenson a break, no wonder he isn't firing on all cynlinders if he hears half the rubbish spouted about him by fans. I think when new year hits, and the season gets more intense, Stevenson will really shine through when the likes of Lawless, Craigen, Elliot don't have the experienced or leadship mindsets the likes of Doolan, Higgy, McMillan etc have.

• Like 2

cant completely agree with that. Did he not set up Fraser with one of the goals against Ross county and set up lawless with one of the goals against Inverness

However he has still not done nearly enough yet

Ok he's done one thing and since then ? The manager has dropped him from the starting 11

It's annoying that he's shoe horned into the team for better and more willing players just because he's on big money. We all wanted him to be a success but it's clearly not working out. I hope we're not stuck with him for 2 years. He's one of the worst signings the club have made in a long, long time.

Shoe horned into the team? He's played 10 minutes of the last two games. And really do you genuinely believe that the manager picks the team on the basis of who the highest wage earners are?

Shoe horned into the team? He's played 10 minutes of the last two games. And really do you genuinely believe that the manager picks the team on the basis of who the highest wage earners are?

Tom, you cannot have that both ways.

If the highest wage earners are being left out of the team for reasons other than injury or illness, then why are they being paid the highest wages?

If the highest wage earners are being left out of the team for reasons other than injury or illness, then why are they being paid the highest wages?

Correct

He was supposed to be a signing helping to take us to a higher level....so far not working

Sorry, but I'm not sure of the point you are making.

I was pointing out that in playing just 10 minutes of the last two games that he was hardly being "shoe horned" into the team.

I would imagine the manager picks the team on the basis of what he thinks his best team is for any given game not on the basis, as was suggested, of what they earn. I've no idea, nor care, whether Ryan Stevenson is the highest paid player or the lowest paid player at the Club.

Sorry, if I'm not picking you up correctly.

Sorry, but I'm not sure of the point you are making.

I was pointing out that in playing just 10 minutes of the last two games that he was hardly being "shoe horned" into the team.

I would imagine the manager picks the team on the basis of what he thinks his best team is for any given game not on the basis, as was suggested, of what they earn. I've no idea, nor care, whether Ryan Stevenson is the highest paid player or the lowest paid player at the Club.

Sorry, if I'm not picking you up correctly.

Nor have I, but I have the impression that was the point you were making from your previous post.

My apologies if we are at cross purposes on this one.

Archie has done him no favours playing him upfront in his first five games. He is not a striker.

Would agree with that ,but unfortunately ,he's not a very good midfielder either . I would go as far to say he actually brings us down as a team when he plays. The last two team performances without him starting has been massively better and that is also without our best player , Higgy , in the team.

As ayrshire Jag said most fans were happy with him signing but he's turned out to be a dud. I wonder perhaps the fact he came on for Dools ahead of Eccelson maybe suggests he's shown something extra in training the last couple of weeks? Have to say I doubt it. Would be a good move for both parties if we could punt him in January, To St Mirren, Ross Co or Motherwell would be nice.

The thing that really puzzles me about Stevo, was is him getting played at centre forward.

Can't work out Arcies thinking on this one, don't really blame Stevo as he was never going to look a gift horse in the mouth.

Would be surprised if any other team would be willing to take him off our hands, but then again you never know, as we signed him, so perhaps some other club will take him off our hands?

The sad thing is, Stevo could be really good, no doubt that he has talent, just think he is perhaps letting it go to waste.

Got to be fair to Stevenson yesterday, it would be hard for any player to change the game with only 10 mins left but if you wanted an impact sub it had to be Ecclestone with his pace who might have caused them problems.

At this moment in time Stevenson doesn't look fit enough to play in the system we play( closing players down , breaking at speed) but surely the management should have done their homework about the type of player he was before signing him.

At this moment Stevenson could become a huge problem because of his perceived wages and his 2 year contract , now it's probably down a lot to Stevenson to show he's not just there to pick up his £ 2000.00 alleged pay packet a week and show the right attitude and commitment to fight for his place.

• Like 2

expanding on the point above by 'jlsarmy', my recollections of Ryan when he played against us for Hearts were that he was most noticeable when he went it alone. He powered past our midfield at Firhill for the goal. I don't remember him being so much of a team player and that is essential for our style of play as jlsarmy says.

I'm looking forward to him finding his form again proving all his detractors wrong (please, Stevo, please).

I'd don't think Archie will be under pressure from anyone to play Stevenson (If he's the highest earner). Any pressure will come from Archie himself I would imagine to try & prove that his signing & the terms offered were justified. There's certainly more likelihood that a player on more money will be given longer to turn his form around than someone on an lower wage.