Team For Hamilton

ThickAsThieves

It just pisses me off, when I come in from a game, that we played well in and should have won, and read a load of posts that are slating players and management, from people that didn't even see the game. Archie has been slated on here for weeks, for having no plan B, but today he tried something different by replacing Dools with Higgy (was massively bood at the time) leaving us with no striker on the park, but it seemed to work. So praise has to go to Archie on that account.

No worries mate!!

Calm down - I'm frustrated about the fact that we lost two points from a winning position, again.

Those who were at the game are better able to say whether or or not we adapted or whether it was a point gained or two lost - but those of us who are far away still have the same passion and desire even although we are not at the stadium. Please do not diss us for that!!!

Thistle must have blown at least 10 games in the last 5 minutes since Archie took over as manager no matter who the players are. Is it always the players?

I can't believe how many of the fans cannot see this and they say well Archie is still learning. Sorry but he is not learning!!!

He has signed a quite a few players and then does not play them the latest being Frans who seems to be have good defensive ability but then the manager won't play him either against Celtic or Hamilton not even as a sub when they have to protect a lead.

Even though I don't go the games because I live in Canada that does not mean that I am not allowed to criticise them. I have been a Jags fan for 65 years and I always will be.

If the manager does not start managing like a professional who knows what he is doing then I hope that when Stuart McCall gets humped the Thistle board have the brains and guts to bring him to Thistle.

The good points from today were the spirit and comeback of the team that's healthy... Negative points losing 3 goals and conceding late on

You can support the team whilst pointing out areas for improvement and our defending needs improving

But next week you are back supporting the team

I'm with PT. Point gained. The fans who boo-ed Archie and shouted he should be sacked, after Doolan's sub, are morons. Substitution worked IMO. Much more movement .

It's clear they are learning. Anyone who was there today, will admit that their equaliser was a peach. Out of nothing.

Oh and I'd like to know how many were at the game too. Seems fair enough.

Edited by La Scimmia Rossa
  • Like 1

I find it annoying that being 3-2 up and having not used all our subs that Archie's not clever enough to make 1 to waste time like other managers do.

Good point. Stevenson was called over and began to strip off but was thereafter stood down for no obvious reason. That substitution would have carried us over the line timewise.

Another related point is that Hamilton actually benefitted from their own blatant time wasting. Would it not be possible to devise a rule whereby the referee keeps a note of time added by time wasting by one team, and if that team falls behind, he ends the game without playing that added time?

Can someone who was at the game explain what formation we went to when Dools went off?

Did Higgy go straight up front?

Yep, due to the conditions at that stage and the fact that pitch is a disgrace, we were not quite humping it forward but certainly being more direct. Higgy is probably better in the air and definitely quicker than Doolan so wasn't as odd as it first seemed.

Good point. Stevenson was called over and began to strip off but was thereafter stood down for no obvious reason. That substitution would have carried us over the line timewise.

Another related point is that Hamilton actually benefitted from their own blatant time wasting. Would it not be possible to devise a rule whereby the referee keeps a note of time added by time wasting by one team, and if that team falls behind, he ends the game without playing that added time?

That was Frans rather than Stevenson (I think)- I thought we were maybe going to go 3 at the back but whether it was either a defender having a knock and then saying he was OK or we thought about 3 at the back and then abandoned it, I don't know.

Agree about the time wasting, said this at the time. They must have taken 2 minutes over that double sub.

Edited by Ancipital

I'm with PT. Point gained. The fans who boo-ed Archie and shouted he should be sacked, after Doolan's sub, are morons. Substitution worked IMO. Much more movement .

It's clear they are learning. Anyone who was there today, will admit that their equaliser was a peach. Out of nothing.

Oh and I'd like to know how many were at the game too. Seems fair enough.

I was there & it's 2 points dropped.

It wouldn't have mattered if Hamilton were top or bottom, you're leading going into injury time. You break up the game with a sub.

The irony being I thought we'd got out of jail with the header just beforehand.

Stevenson on up from to hold the ball in would've been the ideal sub for me.

5 points dropped to Hamilton in last minute/added time. Not good enough.

Polarised opinions on here. From my point of view I'm very happy with Archie as manager and I think we've progressed under his control from promotion hopefuls to a team that is genuinely competitive in the premier league. However I'm absolutely gutted today and I think it's obvious that we have a problem in closing out games. How anyone can be happy after we've lost a lead with the last kick of the game is beyond me. I'm sure the players and the manager are not.

That said, it's still a reasonable point, and there are positives in coming back from two early goals, especially after what happened mid week. For all that we've thrown away we're still in a decent position. But I'm finding it hard being a Thistle fan these days.

I'm suggesting that you cannot comment on a game you haven't been to. Perhaps when the highlights have been viewed but during the game? From your laptop? Nonsense.

As for the the third sub. Frans was warming up, stripped and ready to go on. Or did I make that up?

As for being happy. I'm happy with a point. One more away from the bottom two. At this stage, good enough for me.

Also it's absolutely hilarious to be reading that the much pilloried Stevenson is being touted as the guy who could have won it.

Edited by La Scimmia Rossa

I'm suggesting that you cannot comment on a game you haven't been to. Perhaps when the highlights have been viewed but during the game? From your laptop? Nonsense.

As for the the third sub. Frans was warming up, stripped and ready to go on. Or did I make that up?

As for being happy. I'm happy with a point. One more away from the bottom two. At this stage, good enough for me.

Also it's absolutely hilarious to be reading that the much pilloried Stevenson is being touted as the guy who could have won it.

Stevenson didn't need to win it. It was won at 94 minutes.

Was it Frans who was stripped? Begs the question then why he was stood down?

yeah just think how many times we've been chasin a goal at the end of games and teams waste time managers make subs and the players rip the arse out of how long they take to get off the park we never seem to do it though.

Would it not have been the case that if another sub was used, more time would have been added ?

Another 30 seconds yes.

But then surely breaking up the game with less than a few minutes to go is a good thing.

Remember that they had the header saved by Fox a couple of minutes before & the ball was coming back at us.

Not saying it would've got us the 3 points but if it wasn't a good move then why do so many managers in so many leagues do it?

Not saying it would've got us the 3 points but if it wasn't a good move then why do so many managers in so many leagues do it?

It's been proven that in American Football it's best not to punt on a fourth down. Many top NFL coaches understand this and know going for the yards is the smart play in the long run but still punt. Why? Because they know that if it doesn't work out the fans will give them shit for it and call for their head.

I'm not saying that's the case in this instance, but a lot of the time sticking by conventional wisdom is the best way to keep your job rather than sticking your neck out trying to do things differently.

Good point. Stevenson was called over and began to strip off but was thereafter stood down for no obvious reason. That substitution would have carried us over the line timewise. Another related point is that Hamilton actually benefitted from their own blatant time wasting. Would it not be possible to devise a rule whereby the referee keeps a note of time added by time wasting by one team, and if that team falls behind, he ends the game without playing that added time?

No it wouldn't have. There was at least a minute played after that - not to mention the ref we had today would have added the full time it took. He certainly added some time onto the 4 minutes extra that was announced.

A point earned away from home against the then league leaders and a team in fantastic form; a great fighting spirit displayed after being horsed by Celtic and being two down early on; Welsh, Fraser and Higgy coming back to fitness. That we were denied all three points by a wonder strike is frustrating, and there is always a place for constructive criticism, but there are plenty of reasons to be optimistic. I suppose it all depends on your expectations. The way I see it, we're a small club with a very limited budget but nonetheless have a team that generally plays a decent brand of attacking football and has some exciting, if unpredictable, players. That'll do me.

Edited by Stewarty
  • Like 1

No it wouldn't have. There was at least a minute played after that - not to mention the ref we had today would have added the full time it took. He certainly added some time onto the 4 minutes extra that was announced.

surely better trying to break they're momentum is better than just doing nothing ? We are terrible at seeing out games we need to try something different at the end to change it. We seem to be only team this bad for it
  • Like 1

ofcourse everyones gutted about the late goal and not for the first time but the team deserve huge credit for a great comeback.

overall a good point away to league leaders Hamilton and pleased for Elliot and Craigen getting their goals after the stick they get on here by some folk.

Find it funny how some folk cant just agree to disagree and stop the tit for tat stuff

I'm not saying that's the case in this instance, but a lot of the time sticking by conventional wisdom is the best way to keep your job rather than sticking your neck out trying to do things differently.

I get what you're saying but in this case the conventional wisdom is making the sub is it not?

ofcourse everyones gutted about the late goal and not for the first time but the team deserve huge credit for a great comeback.

overall a good point away to league leaders Hamilton and pleased for Elliot and Craigen getting their goals after the stick they get on here by some folk.

Find it funny how some folk cant just agree to disagree and stop the tit for tat stuff

Here's a thing, we blew it 1st game vs Hamilton at Firhill. We should've held on for the win having scored with a few minutes left & them having created very little.

Today we should've taken the 3 points also.

Take the 6 points off Hamilton's total & put it on ours & we're level pegging.

My argument being this 'good point as they're league leaders' is nonsense.

Scoring the goal was all craigen did the entire game apart from shirking some tackles and taking some abysmal free kicks and corners. Elliott was hopeless first half but at least put the effort in the second half just a pity his touch is honking. After poor games, as well as most other players, on Wednesday I was surprised they started today instead of higgy and Fraser. I appreciate neither higgy or Fraser where fit but I still find it hard to believe that jimmy craigen and Elliott played all 90 minutes today.