Stats Watch

The Jukebox Rebel

Just stuck the highlights on Alba and noticed Kylie McMullan was the lineswoman, how many times has she been the lino in our games? IIRC she was at Firhill in the 5-0 game vs Hamilton?

thistlestats notes: "Kris Doolan has scored five goals in the last three games that Kylie McMullan has officiated at Firhill"

hee-hee, that's a wee cheeky one is it not?

I don't think we can adopt her as a mascot quite yet though, she has bore witness to our best and worst performances of the season. Kylie's now ran the line four times in Thistle games:

01.11.2014 Hamilton Academical [a] D3-3 (SPFL Premiership - game 11)

21.01.2015 Hamilton Academical [h] W5-0 (SPFL Premiership - game 21)

21.02.2015 Ross County [h] L1-3 (SPFL Premiership - game 26)

14.03.2015 St Johnstone [h] W3-0 (SPFL Premiership - game 29)

thistlestats notes: "Kris Doolan has scored five goals in the last three games that Kylie McMullan has officiated at Firhill"

hee-hee, that's a wee cheeky one is it not?

I don't think we can adopt her as a mascot quite yet though, she has bore witness to our best and worst performances of the season. Kylie's now ran the line four times in Thistle games:

01.11.2014 Hamilton Academical [a] D3-3 (SPFL Premiership - game 11)

21.01.2015 Hamilton Academical [h] W5-0 (SPFL Premiership - game 21)

21.02.2015 Ross County [h] L1-3 (SPFL Premiership - game 26)

14.03.2015 St Johnstone [h] W3-0 (SPFL Premiership - game 29)

How is it decided which side and half the lines people run. At Firhill it always seems to be the North end on the JH side,and the city end on the main stand side

How is it decided which side and half the lines people run. At Firhill it always seems to be the North end on the JH side,and the city end on the main stand side

I think it is custom and practice that when a team is attacking, the assistant ref is always on the ref's right hand side touchline. Seems to be standard across all countries nowadays.

The "senior" assistant takes the "main stand side" - more experienced to deal with the agro - but I suppose this is less crucial with the advent of the 4th official.

Can anyone else confirm that for many years the situation in English football was reversed ie, the assistant was always on the ref's left hand side?

Also,I seem to recall that for friendlies at the start of the season even in Scotland the assistants would occasionally run the line to the ref's left hand side to keep the strip of grass that would take a battering during the season "good"?

I

I think it is custom and practice that when a team is attacking, the assistant ref is always on the ref's right hand side touchline. Seems to be standard across all countries nowadays.

The "senior" assistant takes the "main stand side" - more experienced to deal with the agro - but I suppose this is less crucial with the advent of the 4th official.

Can anyone else confirm that for many years the situation in English football was reversed ie, the assistant was always on the ref's left hand side?

Also,I seem to recall that for friendlies at the start of the season even in Scotland the assistants would occasionally run the line to the ref's left hand side to keep the strip of grass that would take a battering during the season "good"?

I

That seems like a reasonable explanation. Cheers

Here's an unexpected stat. The attendance vs StJ is the only Thistle home game in the last 2 seasons where the attendance for the 2nd home game has been higher than the 1st. The exceptions to that are the crowds vs St Mirren and Ross County last season which were played after the split. Another thing I noticed was the the Jags support on Saturday was a bit up from previous Saturday home games. It seemed to be bobbing around 2,400. On Saturday it was nearer 2,700. Weird.

Only 1544 attended the Hamilton Ross County match on Saturday. Is this a Premiership record or a Grauniad misprint?

Yep, a record low. Would've probably been Hamilton v Inverness in January had they not charged a 10p admission fee. :P

^ Thanks afk / Lenzie for the interesting bits n bobs, keep them coming please!

Just before I post some match stats I say well done to Declan McDaid, player of the month for February. He did amazingly well to win the voting ahead of Lyle and it was good to see him get some recognition. Hopefully the award will spur him on to make more progress. Would love to see him get his first competitive goal before season's end. I spare a thought for Stephen O'Donnell - nominated in six of the seven months so far and yet to win the vote. We'll miss him when he's gone...

FAKES WHITEWASHED

• A bit of international quality ensures maximum points for the hard-working Jags.

:detective: 21.03.2015 Partick Thistle 1 Inverness CT 0 (SPFL Premiership - game 30)

• 3 League wins out of 3 against Caley makes for our first "whitewash" since we bossed Cowdenbeath 4-times in 2012-13 (albeit with a little help from the fog-machine). Post-reconstruction, it's only the third time this has been done by Thistle in the top-flight. Dundee were defeated 4 times in 1992-93 as were Hearts in 1978-79. IF the highlanders make the Europa League this would be the first time in our history that we've whitewashed a European qualifier - time will tell! Looking back, there were a couple of instances in that vein. In 1968-69, Scot Symon's Jags, in a rare feat of success, maxed out (just twice in those days) the Hibs side who represented Scotland in that same season's Inter-Cities Fairs Cup. Before that, Willie Thornton's Jags defeated the League runners-up (Kilmarnock) twice in season 1962-63. Thistle, of course, qualified for Europe as as the highest placed club from a Scottish city that held an International Trade Fair. Hearts also qualified as Edinburgh’s representative. Despite finishing above us in the League, Kilmarnock missed out that year due to the strict qualification rules (that were later relaxed). They did, however, qualify for the short-lived "International Soccer League" which was held in America in the close-season which followed.
  • First time an unchanged Thistle side has won since McNamara's Jags defeated Airdrie by seven goals to nil back in October 2012.
  • Already, Thistle have won more League matches than they did last term, 9 wins plays 8.
  • Unsurprisingly, Abdul becomes the first Jag to pass 3,000 minutes of competitive game time for the season. Die mensch maschine has maintained an average of 89 minutes per match over the course of his 34 appearances. #osmanator
  • Steven gets a second goal for the season to add to his eight assists. He joins Ryan at the very top of the "Combi-Table", with both players competitve game tallies now sitting at ten for the season.
  • Steven and Abdul are the only two to have played in all twelve of Thistle's competitive wins this season.
  • With his sixth clean-sheet in sixteen competitive games this season (37.5%), Scott is returning a higher average than his total return (36.11%) since he made his Thistle debut (with a clean sheet!) away back in October 2010.
  • Scott is the first Thistle goalie to register back to back clean sheets in the top-flight since Nicky Walker in January 1996. Beyond that, Roughie did 4-in-a-row back in 1982.
  • Of all the current players who've played in a significant number of competitive games this season, only James and Scott can lay claim to having won more matches than they've lost. James record reads: W11, D6, L9; Scott's reads: W7, D3, L6. Both players can also make the same claim when the query is limited to this season's League games.
  • From what I can gather, that's the first time we've won back to back games in quite a while. :whistling: In fact, with just 6 minutes to spare, Archie's Jags avoided the ignominy of creating a new outright club-record for the category. This similarly chimes with the eleventh-hour effort which avoided an outright record during last season's "no home League wins" fiasco. #edgy
  • Ben Richards-Everton gets a late-game competitive debut as the Jags close out the game, and he becomes the 27th player to appear competitively this season. Ben now has a 100% win record in his 2 games, having played in the 3-1 win vs Sunderland XI back in August.
  • Since it was introduced in 1970-71, a goal-difference of +3 after 30 top-flight games is virtually unheard of for the PT. If Jags emerge reasonably from difficult trips to Pittodrie and Celtic Park, they will have a fighting chance of creating a new club-record for this level, which co-incidentally was +3, set away back in in season 1978-79. If achieved, this would also be the third season in-a-row that Archie's Jags have created a club-record in the finishing tables, having achieved record highs with their points tally (78) in 2012-13 and for their top-flight away goal difference (-3) in 2013-14.
  • Thistle have now spent fully 4 months in 9th place. #thrillseekers

ongoing sequences…

• Thistle stay 9th in the Premiership for the 18th match in a row. (Longest run since the Club record: 33 games in 12th, 20th Sep 2003 to 15th May 2004.)
  • 21 consecutive competitive appearances for Stephen O'Donnell, 8th Nov 2014 to date. (Longest run since: Abdul Osman - 22 games, 13th Aug 2014 to 27th Dec 2014. Club record: Johnny Jackson - 313 games, 28th Aug 1926 to 25th Mar 1933.)
  • 9 competitive games since a draw, 30th Jan 2015 to date. (Longest run since: 9 games, 23rd Aug 2014 to 18th Oct 2014. Club record: 27 games, 18th Feb 1899 to 23rd Dec 1899.)
  • 36 competitive games since back to back draws, 7th May 2014 to date. (Longest run since: 59 games, 18th Aug 2009 to 11th Dec 2010. Club record: 201 games, 11th Feb 1957 to 1st Apr 1961.)

Since it was introduced in 1970-71, a goal-difference of +3 after 30 top-flight games is virtually unheard of for the PT. If Jags emerge reasonably from difficult trips to Pittodrie and Celtic Park, they will have a fighting chance of creating a new club-record for this level, which co-incidentally was +3, set away back in in season 1978-79.

Sorry for selectively quoting such an excellent stats post as usual, TJR. This stat kinda adds meat and veg to what I posted elsewhere. Surely the laws of averages would predict a team sitting so late in the season with a positive goal difference would be extremely unlikely to be still in a relegation tussle.

I know it's not easy for us fans to worry week in week out about being demoted. But spare a thought for both management and players, who after all have returned the positive goal difference. To be continually assessed as not having done enough when you score more goals than you lose can't be easy from from a motivational angle.

Edited by lady-isobel-barnett

^ Thanks lib, yep, I couldn't possibly check all the run-ins but there’s only one instance in the entire history of the top-flight where a team in the relegation scrap has ended with more goals than they’ve conceded and that was Morton away back in 1947-48.

It’s been a remarkable season in that we’ve produced results which have challenged the all-time stats positively and negatively. Many narrow losses to nil have been juxtaposed by multiple high-margin wins, resulting in our unusual situation.

I certainly agree that the collective take a lot more stick than is merited – but wasn’t it ever thus?

Luckily, Archie seems to have a wonderful ability to keep a clear head while all around are losing theirs. Like all good leaders his self-motivation is strong. Steady results for a long, long time have shown that the gaffer has what it takes to get the best out of his troops. We’ve never been down for long and there’s only been one overall bad run during his tenure (the recent one).

We’re not privy to what goes on behind closed doors but I get the feeling that Archie knows exactly what he’s doing blending the temperamental types with the honest pros - and it’s got nowt to do with ranting like a loon on the touchline. ;)

Sorry for selectively quoting such an excellent stats post as usual, TJR. This stat kinda adds meat and veg to what I posted elsewhere. Surely the laws of averages would predict a team sitting so late in the season with a positive goal difference would be extremely unlikely to be still in a relegation tussle.

I know it's not easy for us fans to worry week in week out about being demoted. But spare a thought for both management and players, who after all have returned the positive goal difference. To be continually assessed as not having done enough when you score more goals than you lose can't be easy from from a motivational angle.

What you say is all quite correct - but, of course, the stats are somewhat misleading because we have tended to go in for a few big wins (apart from Saturday) and LOTS of 1-goal defeats. That will inevitably add up to a weird GD/points ratio. It might be an unusual state of play but to be honest, I don't feel we are hard done by - because we've simply been unable to hold out for draws or avoid last minute losses on so many occasions.

Being disappointed that the very pleasing thrashings we have occasionally handed out among many other disappointing results haven't got us well clear of the bottom is a vague equivalent of claiming Oleg Salenko wasn't given enough credit for being top scorer in World Cup 94 after scoring 5 goals in a single game (which was also a dead rubber). Stating the obvious here, but we need to win far more games by the odd goal.

What you say is all quite correct - but, of course, the stats are somewhat misleading because we have tended to go in for a few big wins (apart from Saturday) and LOTS of 1-goal defeats. That will inevitably add up to a weird GD/points ratio. It might be an unusual state of play but to be honest, I don't feel we are hard done by - because we've simply been unable to hold out for draws or avoid last minute losses on so many occasions.

Being disappointed that the very pleasing thrashings we have occasionally handed out among many other disappointing results haven't got us well clear of the bottom is a vague equivalent of claiming Oleg Salenko wasn't given enough credit for being top scorer in World Cup 94 after scoring 5 goals in a single game (which was also a dead rubber). Stating the obvious here, but we need to win far more games by the odd goal.

Not disagreeing. Nobody could argue that we've been anything but inconsistent. We are tho' talking about 30 games into the season and to be not as high as mid table on a positive goal difference requires a bit of bad luck. I don't believe you can put it all down to failure to get momentum or not seeing games out. I can hardly think of a game where we've taken points and not deserved them. I can tho' think of quite a few where we've definitely deserved something and come away with zilch. And I'm not meaning games where we've played well but been blatantly naive.

The trouble is that we score more meaningless goals than any other team, except perhaps Celtic. I found a site that shows this, I'll try and find the link again.

The thing is, our meaningless goals probably contribute greatly to confidence within the team, so I don't want to score any less of them, just more of the meaningful ones!!!

The trouble is that we score more meaningless goals than any other team, except perhaps Celtic. I found a site that shows this, I'll try and find the link again.

The thing is, our meaningless goals probably contribute greatly to confidence within the team, so I don't want to score any less of them, just more of the meaningful ones!!!

i see that Hamilton have a higher percentage of goals that have been "meaningless".

None of the five they've scored against us this season are in any way meaningless.

They've cost us five valuable points!

Probably their 2nd goal at NDP would have been classed as a meaningless goal in the site that Twinny put up. ie a goal that allowed the lead to increase. I am being picky - I know.