Archie Should Read This

angry gaz

so how come last night we had spells where 73% posession was ours yet we didnt score a goal?

Its a simple tactic. Keep the ball and your opponent cant do anything with it. But we still need to be able to bury it ourselves otherwsie whats the point.

Most of our possession was in wide positions in our attempts to get to the by line and put in pointless crosses.

What worries me is Arch said in the signing of Booth that he suits our style of play meaning that he looks like continuing this outdated and ineffectual method of scoring goals. My feeling is that Archie is at the cross roads as a manager just now and really needs to look at different set ups . At the moment absolutely any team could come to Firhill and get something using the tactics St Mirren did last night. It's happened umpteen times since we've been promoted and we haven't adapted.

so how come last night we had spells where 73% posession was ours yet we didnt score a goal?

Its a simple tactic. Keep the ball and your opponent cant do anything with it. But we still need to be able to bury it ourselves otherwsie whats the point.

Too much of that possession was due to St Mirren being content to head or blooter the ball back out of danger. Only for us to toy with the ball a wee while before having another fruitless lob upfield where we'd be continually bullied off the ball. The infuriating thing about last night is that we had the lion's share of possession and St Mirren couldn't do anything about it. They didn't want to just rely on deep defending. That was no game plan and they must've felt they were living on borrowed time.

The only aspect of the game St Mirren got right was bringing the opposition down to their level. And that most certainly worked.

A monkey hitting keys at random on a typewriter keyboard for an infinite amount of time will almost surely type a given text, such as the complete works of William Shakespeare. This would appear to be Archie’s tactical logic for the disgrace that was served up last night, after the first five minutes it was clearly obvious that Dools was well policed by the defense, and although we worked his socks off the strategy never changed with the high ball continually hoofed into him.

Bannigan’s whose career is now clearly over was a major liability makes it easy for the opposition teams when they know in advance that given the opportunity in front of goal he would rather pass the ball back.

Midyear report Archie is get a six foot four plus attacking box player that Dools can play off with Stevenson as the feed and bin Higgey, Bannigan and Craigen. And buy yourself the motivation for dummies book and study hard the “how to win six pointers” page.

I don't know if the comments on the board are part of the tabloid sensationalism in the media, the "moral" outrage which is all prevalent in social media or part of football culture when you see grown men lose the plot and embarrass themselves over a decision by a linesman.

I do think that a lot of comments on some threads are bonkers. Players are finished/rubbish. Archie is useless etc. Football is fantastic and maddening at the same time. We are Partick Thistle not Chelsea and our performances will vary. Archie is still learning and it will take him time to get his tactics right against teams who sit in and defend.

I still enjoy my football (mostly!). I still love this team.

• Like 2

I don't know if the comments on the board are part of the tabloid sensationalism in the media, the "moral" outrage which is all prevalent in social media or part of football culture when you see grown men lose the plot and embarrass themselves over a decision by a linesman.

I do think that a lot of comments on some threads are bonkers. Players are finished/rubbish. Archie is useless etc. Football is fantastic and maddening at the same time. We are Partick Thistle not Chelsea and our performances will vary. Archie is still learning and it will take him time to get his tactics right against teams who sit in and defend.

I still enjoy my football (mostly!). I still love this team.

Agree with most of what you're saying, but Archie has now been manager for 2 years, long past the point of learning how to get tactics right against teams that sit in & defend

• Like 1

• Members

Interesting point on MOTD tonight, Mark Chapman asked if Clubs were in danger of relying too heavily on statistics citing Aston Villas move to possession football this season stifling their forward play and opting to just play safe passes sideways and back. Martin Keown replied saying the first thing the modern day footballer does when they get to the ground on a Monday morning is look at their stats to see how much ground they covered, pass completion etc. It got me wondering if we're doing the same thing and it's effecting some of the players? Stuart Bannigan is the one guy that springs to mind. Doesn't seem to want to run with the ball these days and favours the safe pass most of the time.

Would be interesting to know if we still have the Sports Scientist guys working with the Club?

Archibald why are we still so poor at defending corners despite the players now having "experience"?

That was the go to word last season for when we conceded sloppy goals.

What's this year's excuse?

Sorry to disappoint you but I would doubt whether Archie reads this forum. Why don't you wait outside the ground on Saturday (if you are going!) and ask him??

Agree with most of what you're saying, but Archie has now been manager for 2 years, long past the point of learning how to get tactics right against teams that sit in & defend

Have we come so far in football that 2 years is the sum total of time it takes for a manager to learn everything?

Makes me feel bad about working in my chosen career for the better part of 2 decades and I'm still learning.

Have we come so far in football that 2 years is the sum total of time it takes for a manager to learn everything?

Makes me feel bad about working in my chosen career for the better part of 2 decades and I'm still learning.

Teale had summed him up after being a caretaker manager for 9 games.

The wings are the least dangerous forward areas for defending teams. Despite the article's suggestion that this is new, it isn't: essentially, Britain is the only place where trust is placed in crosses to get goals and not to lose possession.

Watch Spanish, German or Italian football and the cross is essentially a thing of the past, with the exception of BVB Dortmund, who are looking increasingly in danger of relegation from the Bundesliga. As the Americans say, "Go figure."

the notion that crossing from the wing is somehow a useless tactic seems a bit odd.

It's not usless, but the average statisic seems to suggest that it's about one cross in every hundred that ends up as a goal.That would be more than a cross a minute in a game to get one goal.Corners and free kicks are different as they are set pieces where the box can be over loaded with players.

I'd love to actually see the stats for our goals and where the initial ball comes from.I don't know if the club has statistical information gathered but it could be benificial.I doubt very much if the initial ball crosed in wide from the wing is an efficient tactic

Against Hamilton 4 of the goals were played into feet for the finish and one was a cross to Dools head. I actually think the stastistic of one cross in every hundred trhat directley ends up as a goal is about right.

Although crossing from wide and near the byline may occasionally result in a shot or goal from secondary or third phase play i think we are relying far to much on this tactic. We too often cross to Dools in the middle when he's in the box alone between two central defenders.It's not an efficient tactic .

Great signings in the transfer window but I think the team is desperate for an attacking central midfeilder and also to get our wide men cutting in more .