Not In My Name

BowenBoys

The following is a story on the BBC website (bold highlighting is mine):

Celtic have written to the Scottish Football Association about the refereeing of their
Scottish Cup semi-final defeat to Inverness CT.

The Parkhead side were angered by referee Steven McLean's failure to award a penalty for handball against Josh Meekings when they led 1-0.

Caley Thistle won 3-2 in extra time.

"
Given the level of reaction
from our supporters and
across football
, we are duty bound to seek an understanding of what actually happened," the club said.

"We have not been given any other specific explanation so far and this is simply to understand the circumstances of what went on and why such an obvious error was made."

Celtic congratulated their opponents, describing Caley as "a fantastic club" and saying "reaching the final is a great achievement".

The Scottish champions took the lead through a Virgil van Dijk free-kick, but were denied a first-half penalty when Griffiths' header hit the arm of Meekings.

Ronny Deila's men had goalkeeper Craig Gordon sent off in the second half for bringing down Marley Watkins in the box, with Greg Tansey scoring the subsequent penalty.

Edward Ofere put Caley Thistle ahead but John Guidetti levelled before David Raven's extra-time winner.

Absolutely unbelievable arrogance to question the integrity of match officials and patronise your opponents.

NonOF fans I know think Karma. A Sevco fan remarked that while both they and Celtic get more than their fair share of dodgy decisions, Celtic get the most.

Can we please let them play each other 38 times a year, much to the delight of Sky (and, ipso facto, Doncaster), while the rest of us get on with good, honest football.

• Like 5

Yep, all the above. How dare they be denied the treble!

And the next referee who has to make a big decision for/against Celtic in a cup semi/final game won't have it in the back of their mind that if they "penalise" the team in the hoops then this is the kind of onslaught they will have to live with in the aftermath of that decision.

It's embarrassing, it's pathetic, but it's also shameful, same as it was a few years back when Dougie McDonald was bullied out of the game. Celtic have a responsibility to act in the interest of the game, and have a huge influence over the attitudes and actions of their supporters. They should be utterly ashamed and so should any decent Celtic supporters (and to be fair I do know a few).

"question the integrity of match officials"

Where do they do that?

There are two possible reasons for the (lack of) decision.

1. The match officials didn't see the handball. An obvious explanation which would mean that no further discussion is necessary.

2. The referee on seeing the incident clearly, or being informed of the offense by another official, ignored the evidence for reasons known only to himself. This would require further investigation.

Is it the case that the referees match report is made available to both teams, as a matter of routine?

If so, then this is all show and bluster, put on, for their fans... Playing to the gallery, so to speak.

Well exactly. They're squawking about it because their fans are angry.

I think we'd be raging if we didn't get a stonewall (apparently, I didn't see anything of the game) penalty in a Scottish Cup semi-final and would be looking for some sort of reaction from Firhill.

Why should we care? Because it's Celtic? Nah, yir awright.

Is it the case that the referees match report is made available to both teams, as a matter of routine?

If so, then this is all show and bluster, put on, for their fans... Playing to the gallery, so to speak.

It's because the haven't managed to win a treble without they're 'rivals' around. Pathetic.

seems to me we are kinda of missing the point though understandable given its ugly sister 1....

It was a completely incompetent decision given at least two officials had a clear view of the incident which as we know from watching our games is not unusual

Refs should be forced to explain themselves so we move on from its all genuine mistakes to your actually not very good at your job

Absolutely unbelievable arrogance to question the integrity of match officials and patronise your opponents. NonOF fans I know think Karma. A Sevco fan remarked that while both they and Celtic get more than their fair share of dodgy decisions, Celtic get the most. Can we please let them play each other 38 times a year, much to the delight of Sky (and, ipso facto, Doncaster), while the rest of us get on with good, honest football.

I wouldn't quote that as evidence for anything. Both sets of supporters always think the other lot gets most decisions. Give the sevco fan credit though, lots of OF fans think they never get any decisions.

seems to me we are kinda of missing the point though understandable given its ugly sister 1....

It was a completely incompetent decision given at least two officials had a clear view of the incident which as we know from watching our games is not unusual

Refs should be forced to explain themselves so we move on from its all genuine mistakes to your actually not very good at your job

Which two? The guy on the line closest to it was looking side on, so to him it probably did look like the player headed it.

Edit to add Or is the benefit of the doubt to the OF now an official rule?

Edited by thisal

Can't wait until we get to write and ask about all the decisions we didn't get all year.

Pathetic attempt by this club to appease the daft element of their support, with the not-less-than-obvious side dish of influencing the thought process of officials in the future.

Had argument with a celtic fan about this on sunday and he was convinced that the ref saw it and chose not to give it because he didn't like Celtic and was a cheat. I told him that poor decisions like that get made all the time which he also denied and asked me to give examples.

I gave him 2. Goodwin's from last season and Casliunovo's from 2010.

As you can imagine, the conversation ended pretty quickly after that.

There is a conversation to be had about how we can raise the quality of refereeing in this country, as it is definitely getting worse. People like Bobby Madden and Willie Collum are simply not good enough. Finding out the referee is almost as important as the team when you get to Firhill because it could have a huge impact on the quality of the game.

Celtic fans being paranoid about a conspiracy against their club is as old as the hills.

There is a conversation to be had about how we can raise the quality of refereeing in this country, as it is definitely getting worse. People like Bobby Madden and Willie Collum are simply not good enough. Finding out the referee is almost as important as the team when you get to Firhill because it could have a huge impact on the quality of the game.

Celtic fans being paranoid about a conspiracy against their club is as old as the hills.

Try telling William he's not good enough. Reportedly gets a rap on his knuckles from the SFA for performing his quick draw red card act. Eufa respond by awarding him a Champion's League quarter final, where he disappointed his loyal fans by only managing the one red card. A case between the two authorities perhaps of the left hand not knowing what the right hand is doing. Ironically something you could accuse Collum of as well. In his case a second yellow in his right with the inevitable red in the left hand.

Anybody remember when Trigger's header was clearly over the line at Porkheid in the League Cup some years back? That would have won us the game, but the officials opted for a penalty shoot-out instead. Were there any demands for an explanation of the that decision? I don't recall any.

Who could forget it Jagger. It was at least a foot over the line and it ultimately led to the most gut wrenching penalty shoot out of all time for Jags supporters. Still dont think I have got over that!!

• Like 1

Who could forget it Jagger. It was at least a foot over the line and it ultimately led to the most gut wrenching penalty shoot out of all time for Jags supporters. Still dont think I have got over that!!

3 chances to win it in the shootout. When BMMMH stepped up I thought it was written for him.

Can you confirm which officials had a clear view?

Tv evidence has shown that the lineman and goal line officials view was blocked.

The ref "may" have had a clear view, but there has been nothing confirmed or denied that at that point in time that was where he was looking.

If a separate incident had occurred, a pull on a jersey, elbow or punch, instead of this incident that prevented an attacker getting to the rebound... Would we be saying. Well he had a clear view of it, so he should have seen it.

The red has the whole box to watch, ever player clash etc in that box. He needs support from other officials.

It just so happens both other officials views were blocked.

Such is life.

The refs get one look at the incident while we get a few replays or if you are like some you can say you have watched it 100 times now and it's made their mind up that it's all part of a huge conspiracy to deny them the treble.

The officials made a blunder but it's the same in games all over the country every week and they will make mistakes just like our players do every week

I think the standard of the game in general has dropped as has the standard of officials we have in the game these days, but it's the players of Celtic who again seem to be getting away with some poor individual performance's that has prevented them from the chance of winning a treble and not the officials fault.

It's really getting ridiculous and the next ref to get one of their games is going to be under severe pressure to give them everything.

Alot of Celtic fans will be embarrassed by the clubs response to this and they should just be congratulating Caley for a brilliant team performance which seems to be forgotten in all this.

Celtic moaned about the officials in Europe this season and now they are asking questions of the officials here, which their idiotic fans will lap up and will fuel the paranoia for years to come.

I'm all for refs to come out and explain decisions but many would never accept the fact the ref said he made an honest mistake so what is the point.

This all boils down to the pathetic set-up in football where officials cannot, or will not, offer a post match explanation.

I still believe the refs decision should be final no matter what but the fans and teams should be able to understand that decision

Along with the latest fixture shambles it just highlights how poorly the gane is actually administered.