Stevo

Lindau

Might be struggling to make the start of next season!!

Ryan Stevenson

the knee injury he picked up against Hamilton Academical.

The Scottish Premiership club say the full extent of the cartilage damage is unclear and that they therefore cannot put a timescale on his recovery.

The scan showed that Ryan had suffered a medial meniscus tear," said the Thistle website of the 30-year-old.

Ryan is due to go in for surgery tomorrow afternoon.

Thistle added that, after the operation, their medical team "should have a much better idea of whether he will be fit to return in time to go through a full pre-season".

Thistle's Stevenson facing operation

joined the Glasgow club after leaving Hearts in June 2014.

during Saturday's 1-1 draw on Accies' synthetic pitch.

Thistle striker Kallum Higginbotham criticised the New Douglas Park surface following the game.

Dundee United midfielder John Rankin and St Johnstone manager Tommy Wright have also since criticised artificial surfaces.

insisted that his players enjoy playing on a surface he views as "the way forward" for Scottish football.

Canning defending the pitch yet 2 players have serious injuries from 'nothing' tackles. I think the fact that it was getting watered before the match and at half time tells a story. Higgy & Taylor have both complained about it and the fact that it was a draw shows it not sour grapes

Damn Hamilton Accies and their disgrace of a pitch. Players getting serious injuries and being scared to play on them in case they get an injury is all wrong.

Has Scottish football always allowed them or is it a recent thing?

Get well soon Ryan.

Damn Hamilton Accies and their disgrace of a pitch. Players getting serious injuries and being scared to play on them in case they get an injury is all wrong.

Has Scottish football always allowed them or is it a recent thing?

Get well soon Ryan.

It's only recently the top league has allowed them. Been allowed in lower leagues for a good few years. I'm sure a few years back, the last time Hamilton got promoted to the top league they had to dig up their artificial pitch and lay a grass one.

Question is have Hamilton had a lot of problems with players' injuries or recovery? I note someone said the problem was the forecast was for rain and the pitch dried up without its usual heavy watering and became "sticky". Seems like there are built in problems.

I wonder if Hamilton's pitch is the best available. If there are better it's maybe a case that the SPFL or SFA should be setting standards and only allowing the very best artificial pitches to be used. As this is something really of interest to the less well off clubs maybe some kind of cash support for it could go hand in hand with standards.

Surely there is a Health & Safety aspect to this.

Employers have a duty of care to their employees.This appears to be lackng as regards artificial pitches .

I think it is time for players to refuse to play on them .

I understand all artificial surfaces are subject to FIFA approval and assessment and must meet safety standards etc. The key issue is prematch surface preparation to ensure it isn't 'sticky'. Was Hamilton's pitch prepared properly prior to the game?

I think we are going way, way over the top regarding this pitch. There were two unfortunate injuries on Saturday but that is hardly a sample size large enough to deduce artificial is inherently bad and dangerous to play on. I'd be interested to see injury rates at all our clubs who play on these surfaces at the last few seasons. I just there looked at the findings of a Norweigan study over three years on this issue which found no discernible difference between injuries on grass and artificial surfaces for both matches and training.

Let's also remember UEFA are happy for games to be played on artificial surfaces, including Champions League finals. Many leagues around the continent use these surfaces and even the best grass pitches now include synthetic elements in them.

Personally I'd welcome a move to an artificial surface at Firhill if it increased our revenue.

I think we are going way, way over the top regarding this pitch. There were two unfortunate injuries on Saturday but that is hardly a sample size large enough to deduce artificial is inherently bad and dangerous to play on. I'd be interested to see injury rates at all our clubs who play on these surfaces at the last few seasons. I just there looked at the findings of a Norweigan study over three years on this issue which found no discernible difference between injuries on grass and artificial surfaces for both matches and training.

Let's also remember UEFA are happy for games to be played on artificial surfaces, including Champions League finals. Many leagues around the continent use these surfaces and even the best grass pitches now include synthetic elements in them.

Personally I'd welcome a move to an artificial surface at Firhill if it increased our revenue.

I'd favour an artificial pitch at Firhill if it would give us financial and footballing ( ability to play our passing style ) advantages. Safety, playability of the surface and maintenance costs are key considerations imho. Also how many 'better' players wouldn't want to sign for a club with a plastic pitch? Are there much sturdier grass types that we could use in an improved grass pitch which would serve the same purpose as an artificial surface ?

Noticed the rubber bobbles were sticking to the ball with static before my fives game tonight, obviously the pitch needed watered. One player got injured. Obviously artificial surfaces are to blame.

They make right mess of the carpet when you takes your socks off. Used to get me in real trouble. Have the authorities considered this?

• Like 1

They make right mess of the carpet when you takes your socks off. Used to get me in real trouble. Have the authorities considered this?

I'm a keeper, so they end up in places I never knew existed after particularly brutal games.

Try playing on them regular and you may change your opinion. The quality, whatever G rating it is is simply not good enough for the professional game. Take a poll of all SPFL players and you'll find the true answer. These surfaces need removed from the top level of football in all countries.

On a separate note - would love to see us go with dools and Taylor up front for the rest of the season now we know Stevo is out, reckon they could really do some damage together.

Behave. Unless we're 1 nil down and chasing the game before it's even kicked off, we all know Archie will not play 2 recognised strikers. I wonder about his sanity when I see 1 in the starting 11, never mind 2.

The most important people regarding this are the players. It's their careers after all. Ask them what they think of the surface. Don't think we wil be surprised at the outcome!!

I am not a fan particularly of plastic pitches and they have been around for a while. And there are are a fair number in Scotland - is it 12 or 14 or something like that. You only hear the top league players complaining about it. Let's here from the guys that play on it week in week out or at least every other week. Does it take them till Thursday to recover ?

I am not a fan particularly of plastic pitches and they have been around for a while. And there are are a fair number in Scotland - is it 12 or 14 or something like that. You only hear the top league players complaining about it. Let's here from the guys that play on it week in week out or at least every other week. Does it take them till Thursday to recover ?

I think it's an age thingy. Probably in tandem with wear and tear of the body. Higgy was no doubt exaggerating to make a point but our own manager would've retired a good bit earlier if we had an artificial pitch at FirhillI. I doubt you'll get an honest opinion out of current Killie and Accies players as they'd be biting the hand that feeds them. And I don't think the views of say Chris Templeman or Liam Buchanan will be too valid as their game is played at a different tempo.

It's different for players at clubs that train on it frequently, your body adapts to the stress put on it. I skimmed through a meta-analysis that investigated injuries on grass vs artificial turf in football, finding no significant difference and in fact a trend toward more injuries on grass for some types of injury.

I think a thing to consider is that there are different types of artificial pitch and perhaps only the best of them are as good as grass? That said maybe that would mean the best ones are more expensive. Maybe still worthwhile if saving in upkeep required compensate.