New Sponsor

ThickAsThieves

I think it's safe to say that today has been one of the greatest PR stunts in the history of Scottish football. I've just seen reports on Fox News, as well as write ups in the New York Times and the Washington Post. Bravo to everyone at the club.

i think it's safe to say the club didn't quite anticipate the reaction they have received.

not long back from over two weeks holidaying in a galaxy far far away ..... and i come back to this.

after the relative close season transfer inactivity (and even rumours) so far, thistle have melted the internet today.

absolutely top drawer mentalist out the box thinking ..... i knock the board when they deserve knocked, but today, they, and whoever else came up with this madcap bonkers idea and had the balls to run with it, deserve nothing but praise and are deserving of toasting tonight (and not by the firebreathing version of kingsley that's doing the rounds on twitter).

i think it is brilliant marketing and reflective of what thistle quintessentially is (or always should be) ..... quirky, bold, different, uniquely individual, standing out from the norm and the crowd, not afraid of the bigger boys.

and today, thistle have well and truly mixed with and blown everyone out the water.

mcbookie for example, state:

Partick Thistle's new mascot has got more publicity than the signing of any player in Scotland in the last five years!!!

i've seen it reported from net and news channels not just in scotland and even the uk, but worldwide media outlets. it's been on numerous football clubs twitter feeds and forums. time.com, paramount pictures, politicians (not just oor mhairi) feeds, the list of outlets and people covering and commenting on it is astounding (also check out #LessTerrifyingPartickThistleMascots for some screamers).

the initial limp wristed pc media reaction (it's terrifying, scares kids, and other nonsense) has been blown out the water by a flood of memes and praise from around the world. a quick look on p+b shows supporters of other clubs across the country giving kudos and chapeaus to ptfc, as they look on in envy.

kids get into firhill for free? who cares, kingsley with his dead eyes, open mouth, monobrow and general appearance, will see us reported to childline over their nightmares that see them fearing being devoured by our new mascot. hugs with the new mascot and nicey pics are out the window.

apparently, his league home debut is now a live tv game ..... can't wait to see kingsley have a confrontation with wee scotty brown.

new strip better be a rip roaring cracker though ..... lots to live up to after today.

• Like 3

i think it's safe to say the club didn't quite anticipate the reaction they have received.

maxi didn't anyway. he recently tweeted:

Who would have thought our new mascot would create such a stir. Think we need to get some Kingsley merchandise made up pronto!

strike while the irons hot.

As Ian Maxwell as quoted on STV - one of the stipulations of the deal was that the club would use whatever David Shrigley came up with.

Praising the board for taking the money and letting people have a laugh at our expense. Great stuff.

I'd love to see the design work and sketch preparation which went into that logo and mascot. Must have taken him ages.

three of four of alastair campbells tweets have been on our new mascot, including this one:

My Dad died before twitter was born but would have loved that his favourite team Partick Thistle was trending because of a new mascot.

after his recent words on mental health, and of charlie kennedy, this latest tweet has seen him go further up in my estimation.

seems he was only a c*nt when he worked for labour in government, as even his latest words and realism and honesty on how labour have lost the trust of not just scotland but many hardcore in the uk, have me warming to him.

Edited by yoda-jag

letting people have a laugh at our expense. Great stuff.

you really are a glass half full dick aren't you.

majority of what i have seen and heard, online, on tv, and speaking with friends and neighbours today, has been anything but laughing at us.

must be our different circles thankfully eh.

• Like 1

What i want to know most of all, compared to our fellow clubs in and around the same size base is £200k (or £100k per season) a lot of money?

A good question but I doubt you'd ever find out. I'd take the BBC guesstimate of £200K as just that, a guess . It's rare with these sort of deals both parties agree to publicise anything like the exact figures.

Edited by lady-isobel-barnett

As Ian Maxwell as quoted on STV - one of the stipulations of the deal was that the club would use whatever David Shrigley came up with.

Praising the board for taking the money and letting people have a laugh at our expense. Great stuff.

I'd love to see the design work and sketch preparation which went into that logo and mascot. Must have taken him ages.

life...get one

• Like 1

life...get one

we often disagree jb (usually on politics), but in fullsome agreement with you here.

dickies trying too hard, turning into the new kni, he is. the shame of it for him.