New Sponsor

ThickAsThieves

Can this thread be linked to Twitter, and the Guardian, and whoever else? To show the true feeling among Thistle fans.

He's putting his own slant on the twitter response to suit the words he wanted to write.

Quite a few comments in reply, many from Jags fans, with an alternative view.

"Partick Thistle fans have hurled abuse at their new mascot - but they are wrong"

Really annoying piece in today's Guardian http://www.theguardi...hrigley-kingley accusing Thistle fans of being hypocrites based on a totally unsubstantiated claim that we are horrified with our new mascot.

what do you expect...bloody lefties :innocent::innocent2::evil:

I’ve seen the story on Twitter that the Smiling Sun anti-nuclear campaigners are asking us to remove Kingsley as the design is somewhat similar to their logo. I mean, how many different ways can you design a sun? Even the copyright infringement lawyers state they have no case. It’s a shame a good movement feels it has to hijack the good publicity we have made for ourselves.

Maybe Richard Nixon has a friend. Then they could say fans (plural)

There's plenty of people who can't understand what the f**k is going on with that logo - unarguably a crudely-drawn doodle, because that's how the artist himself describes it! Meanwhile, the mascot was created by simply lifting said cruddy corporate logo and placing it onto a yellow Lycra suit. Clearly lots of effort and thought went into the entire enterprise.

Fair play to you if you were familiar with David Shrigley's work and actually liked it before Monday afternoon. I know there's no accounting for taste.

But it was obvious that there was no intention to make any kind of deal from this - except the usual space-filler in the Evening Times perhaps - until it took off on social media as a "so bad it's good" joke. I'm sorry, but that doesn't make it any less embarrassing, no matter how much you try to embrace it's stupidity. We are being laughed AT. I cannot stress that enough. It's great that Kingston media are fans of the artist - good for them; and it's fine that we're so desperate we'll welcome any old shite for money, apparently.

Just remember that once this (exceedingly thin) joke gets old - and after the ghost of Tam Cowan has wheeled out his schtick on the next Off The Ball, the joke will be nothing more than a violated, rotting corpse - both logo and mascot will stinking up Firhill for the next two seasons. That's as long as we wore the jester shirt, but at least then we were so far down the leagues no-one took notice.

But what's the point of arguing? It's Invasion Of The Bodysnatchers amongst attention-starved Thistle fans, like the pimple-faced nerd who is pleased that the school bully actually remembered to wedgie him this week. I love how it was assumed to be an utter piss-take until it got a whiff of attention on the internet. Whoops! It's now a Don Draper-esque genius publicity stunt, well done the club! That's akin to claiming that Andrew Tosh (the idiot so drunk he was dragged off a plane in handcuffs) is actually a wonderful advertisement for the city of Dundee because the video of his arrest briefly swept around social media.

It was so well-thought out someone belatedly decided to get some cheap t-shirts printed up and then punt them at £20 including postage! Pre-order it though, because David Shrigley still has to fluff out a design this afternoon. Actually, one of his assistants can probably complete the project; it really won't take more than a minute. It's a shame really: two weeks earlier with all this, and those t-shirts could have been sported ironically by beard-clad w*nkers at Glastonbury.

I can imagine we've sold hundreds more season tickets since Monday because of this worldwide recognition. The Kilmarnock game will be packed out with fresh crowds virgin to Firhill, eager to see a walking internet meme. The new strips will be tearing off the shelves next week because of the scribble excreted onto the chest.

Who knows? Thanks to this rip-roaring success, Kingston Capital Bussiness may start buying up a majority of those new shares. Once they take full ownership they can change our club colours to electric green and neon blue, and re-name us the Ppartick Cockfluuffers. Imagine how much attention we'll get on social media then! It'll be a real laffer - and that's with two 'f's!

Because idiotic stunts should be what Partick Thistle are known for - god forbid for football. A vital player is off to Luton whilst nothing Is happening on our transfer frOOOH LOOK GUYS OUR NEW MASCOT IS ON THE TELLY WHOOOOO LET'S MAKE UP SOME PHOTOSHOP PICS

Can no-one see the dichotomy of the official site placing that logo directly next to an image claiming we're "not so cuddly anymore"? If there was a dictionary definition of Cuddly Toy Football Club, this is it.

Obviously this will be completely shot down and I'll be called all the arseh*les under the sun because I obviously don't possess a sense of humour. Whine whine whine, moan moan moan - how dare I not join in with the bubbly bonkers bohemian bullsh*t Partick Thistle are beloved for. I'll try to take an extended break until the season actually starts and leave you all to revel in all this glorious stupidity. Unfortunately for me, it feels like you're all mad.

PS - If anyone gets the chance, please remind Ian Maxwell at some point that we're not called "Partick"; it's actually "Partick Thistle" or "Thistle". "Partick" is the term people completely unfamiliar with us use - or opposing fans who are trying to wind us up. It behoves our general manager to act like he has at least a basic level of knowledge of the club when conducting TV interviews.

Edited by Richard Nixon
  • Like 1

Richard, I respect you have your own opinion, but I can assure you that very few are laughing at us. I live and work down South and so many down here are asking me about Kingsley (and Thistle) and saying how lucky we are to have stumbled across something. I have had more than 1 wishing that their club could have come up with something so original. Yes it may be short lived fame and yes the long term commercial opportunities may be limited, but there is no conceivable way that this could be considered bad for Partick Thistle FC.

You might think of it as "a crudely-drawn doodle" (personally I have though the same about some of the J.M.W. Turner works that I have seen.) Jonathan Jones (art correspondent for The Guardian) describes Kingsley as "....resembles a grotesque and funny carnival costume. It is reminiscent of the monsters painted and sculpted by the great surrealist Joan Miro which themselves grew out of European carnival traditions. What Shrigley is doing is to comically express the aggression in sport." "Come on, this is football, not lawn tennis. Shrigley’s demonic mascot is a fan yelling for its team: its mouth would willingly gobble up the opposition. This is a terrific piece of sporting art – a roaring manifestation of soccer’s energy. Fans are looking at a portrait of themselves and finding it “terrifying”. As Oscar Wilde would have said, it is the rage of Caliban at seeing his own face in the glass."

While I do respect your opinion, I suspect that Mr. Jones opinion caries more weight as to whether this is a worthy piece of art.

Edited by Dick Dastardly
  • Like 1

So, whereabouts on the pitch does this 'Kingsley' play? Have we dropped our interest in Taylor for him/it? Oh I get it - it's a mascot. Representing a sponsor who's putting money into the club. Furra weans n'at. And it seems to be quite popular on the internets and that Twitter. Why should this be a problem?

Richard, I respect you have your own opinion, but I can assure you that very few are laughing at us. I live and work down South and so many down here are asking me about Kingsley (and Thistle) and saying how lucky we are to have stumbled across something. I have had more than 1 wishing that their club could have come up with something so original. Yes it may be short lived fame and yes the long term commercial opportunities may be limited, but there is no conceivable way that this could be considered bad for Partick Thistle FC.

You might think of it as "a crudely-drawn doodle" (personally I have though the same about some of the J.M.W. Turner works that I have seen.) Jonathan Jones (art correspondent for The Guardian) describes Kingsley as "....resembles a grotesque and funny carnival costume. It is reminiscent of the monsters painted and sculpted by the great surrealist Joan Miro which themselves grew out of European carnival traditions. What Shrigley is doing is to comically express the aggression in sport." "Come on, this is football, not lawn tennis. Shrigley’s demonic mascot is a fan yelling for its team: its mouth would willingly gobble up the opposition. This is a terrific piece of sporting art – a roaring manifestation of soccer’s energy. Fans are looking at a portrait of themselves and finding it “terrifying”. As Oscar Wilde would have said, it is the rage of Caliban at seeing his own face in the glass."

While I do respect your opinion, I suspect that Mr. Jones opinion caries more weight as to whether this is a worthy piece of art.

dd .... gets it.

dicky ..... doesn't.

A grown man having a total breakdown because a football team mascot isn't the way he'd like. I've seen it all now.

yip. a total heads gone.

kingsley ..... melted the internet.

kingsley ..... melted dickys brain.

job done.

A grown man having a total breakdown because a football team mascot isn't the way he'd like. I've seen it all now.

You make light of it, but what about the stinking, violated corpse? I hasn't thought about that originally, but now it has me really worried.

'the pimple-faced nerd who is pleased that the school bully actually remembered to wedgie him this week'

Is that lifted from Nixon's wikipedia page? Might explain the carpet bombing of a peaceful south-east asian country, driving it into the arms of it's communist neighbour.

It reached today's Herald Sun in Melbourne. If they're going to keep this mascot, though, there has to be some red in the mascot.

http://www.heraldsun...x-1227411131571

Good news - is their any chance you could maybe put a link to some of the stories on Aus websites so the fact we are selling the t shirts to the official website - dont will be a huge seller over there but you never know mate :thumbsup: