New Board Member

Willjag

• Members

I see we have appointed a new Board Member. A communications expert. I wonder if new Board members do these roles voluntarily or are we paying them? At a time when Archie is complaining about not being able to offer potential new signings a suitable deal, it makes you wonder if this is a good move?

• Like 1

It is a common refrain here that the club is run in an amateurish way. This feeling manifests itself largely through its communication. I think we need a communications professional. Her appointment will have no bearing of this season's playing budget but if she does a good job it will, hopefully, improve the playing budget for next season.

I hope her brief includes giving TAG a kick up the arse and getting new batteries for the PA system.

• Like 1

I see we have appointed a new Board Member. A communications expert. I wonder if new Board members do these roles voluntarily or are we paying them? At a time when Archie is complaining about not being able to offer potential new signings a suitable deal, it makes you wonder of this is a good move?

Certainly the timing could be better. Maybe just after we make a new signing? Perhaps as DD says there's a financial investment to offset this but it could be simply her skillset that's the investment. It normally wouldn't matter as long as a new board member "pays their way" so to speak but that's a longer term issue.

Now should be about helping Archie. Announcing a new board member when a large chunk of the fanbase are routinely refreshing the ptfc webpage to hear any player news isn't clever PR. Hey, maybe we should add a PR director? :)

I am slightly confused to hear people asking if we are paying her. Surely it should be the other way round if she is joining the board? Doesn't look like she is putting any money in at the moment anyway.

I'd agree, if it was Communications manager I could see a wage, joining the board you'd normally have to pay your way in to this (shares, payment, expertise) and I wouldn't expect a wage being drawn for it

First female board member?

Have they erased Maggie Forsyth's period as the Jags Trust Director from their records?

Thought exactly the same thing. I welcome her aboard but she isn't our first female board member - the club is making itself look rather silly on that one.

• Like 1

Certainly the timing could be better. Maybe just after we make a new signing? Perhaps as DD says there's a financial investment to offset this but it could be simply her skillset that's the investment. It normally wouldn't matter as long as a new board member "pays their way" so to speak but that's a longer term issue.

Now should be about helping Archie. Announcing a new board member when a large chunk of the fanbase are routinely refreshing the ptfc webpage to hear any player news isn't clever PR. Hey, maybe we should add a PR director? :)

Deals happen when they happen. I'm sure Archie is working hard and news will come. Other work at the club should not be put on hold in the meantime. It would be odd if news of the arrival of a Communications professional was kept from us.

I welcome this appointment and I trust Archie.

Deals happen when they happen. I'm sure Archie is working hard and news will come. Other work at the club should not be put on hold in the meantime. It would be odd if news of the arrival of a Communications professional was kept from us.

I welcome this appointment and I trust Archie.

Not the point I was making. I'm not saying it's a PR disaster or anything like that. Our off the field publicity has been unbelievably good recently. Just pointing out the PR management in this one instance is poor.

Edited by lady-isobel-barnett

Quite an alarming lack of awareness of how Board structures work in football.

Absolutely no bearing on player recruitment.

Seems like a good appointment. PR has been lacking since Michelle Evans left so hopefully Jacqui helps to rectify this.

Edited by Armand2

Are we talking communications professional or professional at communication?

BT are a communications company, but trying to call their customer service line doesn't really make me think I'd pay them to talk to people on my behalf.

• Members

Quite an alarming lack of awareness of how Board structures work in football.

Absolutely no bearing on player recruitment.

Not really sure where you're coming from that one to be honest. In overall cash terms, if you're spending cash in one place, you can't spend it elsewhere on another. Yes Archie has a playing side budget, but that budget depends on the financial health of the Club, so if someone is being paid for doing a job at the Club that didn't exist before, that's going to have an effect.

With regard to paying Board Members, it's been mentioned in the past that a few of the current Board are employees at one or two of the other Directors business interests and are doing this work at the Club at that Company's expense when time allows. It's also been mentioned in the past that a Director was taking payment from the Club for running an enterprise for them, so this isn't unheard of.

Not really sure where you're coming from that one to be honest. In overall cash terms, if you're spending cash in one place, you can't spend it elsewhere on another. Yes Archie has a playing side budget, but that budget depends on the financial health of the Club, so if someone is being paid for doing a job at the Club that didn't exist before, that's going to have an effect.

With regard to paying Board Members, it's been mentioned in the past that a few of the current Board are employees at one or two of the other Directors business interests and are doing this work at the Club at that Company's expense when time allows. It's also been mentioned in the past that a Director was taking payment from the Club for running an enterprise for them, so this isn't unheard of.

:huh:

Likewise, I'm not sure where to start with the suggestion that Board members are salaried.

The reading of the Evening Times article tends to suggest that she's there as an advisor to our existing media & communication department!!

Do we really have one?

Also, she has a lot of other 'jobs' it seems so be interested to know of she's taking this role on voluntary or bring salaried for her time.

Either way, I do feel it's a position in an area that most would agree the club could & should do better in.

However, with other commitments, how much time can she realistically offer?

Would you want Archie having 3 other jobs before managing the team?

The last few months we've all had text messages "from" Archie and Tomas Cerny, emails "from" Kris Doolan and the communication online has generally been good. To me it seems she's already had an impact while "shadowing".

"Apologies" for all the inverted commas.

• Like 1