Would You Take A Point Against Hamilton?

Dark Passenger

Away game.

A team that finished ahead of us in 2014/15.

Plastic pitch.

Integration of new squad members.

All would usually be considered as mitigating factors should we fail to win.

I think a point is perfectly acceptable, but get the sense that the Celtic game is causing undue angst.

Thoughts?

May as well use this as the match thread, too.

Edited by Dark Passenger

I know the Hamilton guy I sit opposite in work, is mega confident of a win on Saturday. He thinks our side is weaker and his side stronger than last season. He openly admits that we played them off the park in most of the games last season. At this moment in time I would settle for anything other than a defeat.

If Lawless was playing I'd be much more hopeful so a lot depends on Doolan putting in a productive shift. That may thru need be extended by ten to fifteen minutes longer than we'd prefer.

Both sides will be integrating new players so that can't be seen as an excuse. What it could mean is each side will negate the other and make a draw that bit more likely. I'd settle for a point providing we play with tempo and not recklessly.

I hate plastic pitches and just because it's brand new won't necessarily mean it's acceptable. A new pitch brings problems of its own but perhaps for once it won't give the home team that much an advantage. Their players will be still getting used to it as well.

Edited by lady-isobel-barnett

I know the Hamilton guy I sit opposite in work, is mega confident of a win on Saturday. He thinks our side is weaker and his side stronger than last season.

Really? I'm not convinced about that. Here is my reasoning:

Scott Fox : He showed great promise in the 1st division but for me he failed to build on that in the premiership. For the most part last season he was very poor. Despite his blunder on Saturday I'm sure Cerny will prove to be a better all round keeper.

Stephen O'Donnell : Your Hamilton pal may have a point with this one. SOD was something special and knew where the back of eh net was as well. Probably one of the best wing backs we have had at Firhill. Gary Miller would appear to be more of a traditional full back and is certainly not as flamboyant as SOD.

Conrad : much as I liked Balatoni it has to be remembered that if Seaborne was fit ( and that wasn't often) Conrad was on the bench! Whilst Conrad chipped in with a fair amount of goals he could also, on the odd occasion, be a bit of a bomb scare at the other end. No replacement signed but the two young lads at centre half have done superbly well during the pre season!

Higgy : In his first season Higgy was outstanding but last year he was a pale shadow of that player. Quite frankly Amoo should be able to surpass Higgy's performances last year with ease.

The obvious cause for concern is the failure (so far) to sign a new striker

I know it's all about opinions but for me we are certainly not weaker for the departures above but I'm sure time will tell if I am right or not.

Edited by Camallain
  • Like 1

1-1 written all over it. We will shoot towards sainsburys first half and it'll look impossible to score up that end and accies will score into that end 2nd half.

More importantly anyone know if accies will open up more than 1 turnstile? Brutal waiting in that queue

1-1 written all over it. We will shoot towards sainsburys first half and it'll look impossible to score up that end and accies will score into that end 2nd half.

More importantly anyone know if accies will open up more than 1 turnstile? Brutal waiting in that queue

email or call accies and ask?

Really? I'm not convinced about that. Here is my reasoning:

Scott Fox : He showed great promise in the 1st division but for me he failed to build on that in the premiership. For the most part last season he was very poor. Despite his blunder on Saturday I'm sure Cerny will prove to be a better all round keeper.

Stephen O'Donnell : Your Hamilton pal may have a point with this one. SOD was something special and knew where the back of eh net was as well. Probably one of the best wing backs we have had at Firhill. Gary Miller would appear to be more of a traditional full back and is certainly not as flamboyant as SOD.

Conrad : much as I liked Balatoni it has to be remembered that if Seaborne was fit ( and that wasn't often) Conrad was on the bench! Whilst Conrad chipped in with a fair amount of goals he could also, on the odd occasion, be a bit of a bomb scare at the other end. No replacement signed but the two young lads at centre half have done superbly well during the pre season!

Higgy : In his first season Higgy was outstanding but last year he was a pale shadow of that player. Quite frankly Amoo should be able to surpass Higgy's performances last year with ease.

The obvious cause for concern is the failure (so far) to sign a new striker

I know it's all about opinions but for me we are certainly not weaker for the departures above but I'm sure time will tell if I am right or not.

He went into every game against us last season, even when they were on that fantastic run, thinking that we would beat them. His confidence for this Saturday has got me flummoxed. Hamilton fans appear to be delighted with Cannings signings, even though I have heard of very few of them. They are expecting a lot of goals from set pieces as they seemingly have a few giants playing for them now.

Edited by Lindau

He went into every game against us last season, even when they were on that fantastic run, thinking that we would beat them. His confidence for this Saturday has got me flummoxed. Hamilton fans appear to be delighted with Cannings signings, even though I have heard of very few of them. They are expecting a lot of goals from set pieces as they seemingly have a few giants playing for them now.

I can remember going to matches being super confident as well! It usually ended in bitter disappointment :thumbsup2:

Hopefully going from O'Donnell to Miller will at least tighten us up at the back and make us harder to beat. There were times in our first Premiership season where I preferred McMillan to O'Donnell. However, there's no denying O'Donnell had a terrific season last year. We'll miss him, but hopefully not to the extent we missed Taylor-Sinclair when we were playing Keenan/Carroll. Miller seems to have more about him than them and should be a solid signing.

Edited by ThickAsThieves

If we are genuinely looking to progress then at some point we're going to have to stop settling for a point in games like these; anything other than a win will be a blow.

If we draw away against the teams likely to be in the bottom six and beat them at home we fairly certainly would progress. Adopting that pattern last season we'd have been 15 points better off and I think 16 points to the good going into the break.

Two draws at NDP last season and a win and a draw in our Championship winning season.

I feel we are well capable of winning there on Saturday.

The 3-3 draw divided opinion due to losing an injury time equaliser. Personaly I was happy overall after fighting back from two goals down.

I was more disappointed in the 1-1 draw as we took the lead but lost a soft equaliser which virtually ended our chances of 7th place and effectively ending our season in a competitive sense.

Hopefully the players give 100% and win their personal battles with their opposite numbers and we return down/ up the road with all 3 points setting us up for 6 pointer against the Jungle Jims a week on Sunday 8)

Probably end up 1-1 :(

Two draws at NDP last season and a win and a draw in our Championship winning season.

I feel we are well capable of winning there on Saturday.

The 3-3 draw divided opinion due to losing an injury time equaliser. Personaly I was happy overall after fighting back from two goals down.

I was more disappointed in the 1-1 draw as we took the lead but lost a soft equaliser which virtually ended our chances of 7th place and effectively ending our season in a competitive sense.

Hopefully the players give 100% and win their personal battles with their opposite numbers and we return down/ up the road with all 3 points setting us up for 6 pointer against the Jungle Jims a week on Sunday 8)

Probably end up 1-1 :(

A loss and a win in our championship winning season. Graeme Smith sadly spilled a corner into the net in the first game. In the second encounter, Conrad bundled in a header before Christie curled in a beauty, leading to some impressive sliding dives.

The lad Lucas is a man mountain, so they're expecting him to chip in with a few headed goals. But their success or failure is likely to hinge on how Nade links up with Ali Crawford.

I think their success hugely depends on the 4 guys they have brought in who have never played a game in the top flight in Scotland. They're still trying to replace Andreu and Curier (plus behind Curier they never had any depth to begin) and need the new lad to replace Hendrie. You know what you're getting with Nade, he was at Raith for a reason. They signed three foreign lads and were brave enough to give them 2 year deals unlike Nade who is only there on 1.

Edited by Hankey

A point away from home against a team likely to be around us come end of the season obviously isn't a bad result. I think we're capable of taking all 3 though, and given it'll be my first trip to NDP I'm hopeful.

Obviously, I'd rather we take 3 points on Saturday. but wouldn't be despondent if we get a draw. In fact a draw would be not a bad result and could set us up for the game against Sellick returning from Anderston after a tough midweek fixture!