January Window

Jaggernaut

Looks like Archie wants another striker or two:

http://www.heraldscotland.com/sport/14144411.Partick_Thistle_boss_Alan_Archibald_eyes_attacking_reinforcements_in_January/

Here's hoping that this doesn't result in Dools being benched for weeks again while his replacement does no better than Dools would do.

Might Pogba be on the way out?

Can't see United wanting to give up Erskine as he's one of their best players these days. With Muirhead away back to United too, Edwards nowhere to be seen and Stevenson seemingly unhappy, we'll absolutely need reinforcements in attacking midfield. No idea who those will be, but hopefully Archie finds a Dumbuya-esque signing from somewhere.

united already begun a clear-out; i think we can expect some major changes.

Undoubtedly we need a few in and one or two to leave or go out on loan. Same time we really need to extend a good number of contracts asap.

My view is by and large the squad we've been using lately has been performing fine but we're thin on the ground especially in the more forward positions. Don't believe Archie will want to simply bring in cover for these positions. He may not get the opportunity but he'll ideally be looking further ahead than just getting us to May. That could also mean players not in his plans for next season moving on early.

Guessing Stevo and Muirhead will both go and we'll be looking for straight replacements.

One of our favourite markets is going after players that succeed in Scotland, sign for a Championship/League One side, then fall out the picture at their English club. Imagine we'll be looking at players that meet that description again.

I think we should be looking for a winger who could go straight into the side, and then an attacking midfielder. Relatively happy with everywhere else, although would be pleased if we could upgrade on Pogba.

Archie has generally been quite ruthless with squad trimming when it's been required so if we're able to get suitable replacements in, I wouldn't be surprised to see guys like Edwards, Stevenson and Pogba shipped out.

From Archie's comments in the Evening Times today, it looks like we'll be after a couple of attacking players, certainly one anyway to replace Muirhead. Will be interesting to see who United punt in January - some decent players there who, for one reason or another, just aren't cutting it at the moment. If United were to be relegated, I'd say Erskine would be top of their list of guys to retain so not expecting him back any time soon unfortunately. I recall hearing (unofficially) that Archie said he could get a better player for the money that Paton would be looking for to stay when we won promotion and I imagine that is still the case.

Will also be intriguing to see if this rumoured interest in some lower league English strikers comes to anything.

Muirhead might be Muirhead's replacement if Mixu wants him off the United books. I'd be happy with that

I doubt it. Unless you mean by extending his loan spell. But to repeat a post earlier (when btw I didn't know Dumbaya had re-signed) the role that Muirhead is expected to play for us is in a key position and one that Archie will ideally want filled into next season. Craigen (no longer with us), Edwards (basically untried and probably not ready), Stevenson (pace, stamina, general fitness won't/unlikely to improve), Muirhead (even if available probably out of our price range) so we really need that positional area beefed up on a long term basis sooner rather than later.

Archie has generally been quite ruthless with squad trimming when it's been required so if we're able to get suitable replacements in, I wouldn't be surprised to see guys like Edwards, Stevenson and Pogba shipped out.

From Archie's comments in the Evening Times today, it looks like we'll be after a couple of attacking players, certainly one anyway to replace Muirhead. Will be interesting to see who United punt in January - some decent players there who, for one reason or another, just aren't cutting it at the moment. If United were to be relegated, I'd say Erskine would be top of their list of guys to retain so not expecting him back any time soon unfortunately. I recall hearing (unofficially) that Archie said he could get a better player for the money that Paton would be looking for to stay when we won promotion and I imagine that is still the case.

Will also be intriguing to see if this rumoured interest in some lower league English strikers comes to anything.

erskines contract with United runs out in the summer so they might well want to retain him but he is free to sign for whoever he wants

I am a huge Chris Erskine fan and would love to see him return, but am currently not hopeful of that happening soon.

I was a "mole" enjoying hospitality from a Dundee United supporting friend on Saturday (well done Jags-you did me proud!!). Chris (after a very difficult start 2 seasons back) is currently popular with the Tannadice support and seems to have become a better player in their eyes through not playing over the past few months. There were moans and groans as other players turned back in promising positions (much as we were doing at the start of the season) but great anticipation when Chris came on and really zipped into the game. He was the one player doing it for them and may well be seen as the type to inspire a great escape. So little chance of a transfer window departure I would surmise.

There are two scenarios that could perhaps work for us:

1) Chris plays well but cannot save the Arabs from relegation. He then looks to remain in the Premier League and Thistle is the natural destination, as he does not need to prove himself to the manager.

2) Chris' confidence is drained by the general tangerine malaise and his form dips. He becomes part of a wholesale Mixu clear out and looks to revive his career at Firhill.

The Dumbuya extension gives hope that we could offer a longer term deal, which I think was and is an important factor in Erskine's considerations, due to family circumstances.

So maybe short term unlikely, but longer term rather more optimistic?

• Like 1

I am a huge Chris Erskine fan and would love to see him return, but am currently not hopeful of that happening soon.

I was a "mole" enjoying hospitality from a Dundee United supporting friend on Saturday (well done Jags-you did me proud!!). Chris (after a very difficult start 2 seasons back) is currently popular with the Tannadice support and seems to have become a better player in their eyes through not playing over the past few months. There were moans and groans as other players turned back in promising positions (much as we were doing at the start of the season) but great anticipation when Chris came on and really zipped into the game. He was the one player doing it for them and may well be seen as the type to inspire a great escape. So little chance of a transfer window departure I would surmise.

There are two scenarios that could perhaps work for us:

1) Chris plays well but cannot save the Arabs from relegation. He then looks to remain in the Premier League and Thistle is the natural destination, as he does not need to prove himself to the manager.

2) Chris' confidence is drained by the general tangerine malaise and his form dips. He becomes part of a wholesale Mixu clear out and looks to revive his career at Firhill.

The Dumbuya extension gives hope that we could offer a longer term deal, which I think was and is an important factor in Erskine's considerations, due to family circumstances.

So maybe short term unlikely, but longer term rather more optimistic?

That's the way I see it. Chris has been injured for a lengthy time that has corresponded with United's worst spell. His appearance on Saturday perked them up during which time they had their best spell in the game. I would imagine there's a good few United players to be shed before they'd even contemplate releasing Erskine. Put another way if they did let him go in preference to others deemed more culpable the Arabs will be baying for the Pub Landlord's blood.

Edited by lady-isobel-barnett

erskines contract with United runs out in the summer so they might well want to retain him but he is free to sign for whoever he wants

i'd love it jeff, absolutely love it, if we were to sign the legendary bridge on a cheeky precontract, and leaked the pic to the press (though reporting scotland will still blank it).

be even funnier if it also came out we were offered paton on a free or a swapsie, and we roared with laughter down the phone for five minutes before hanging up the phone on snake thompson.

even archie was tempted away by the dark side of tayside for a while, no reason why the bridge can't follow the same realisation that maryhill is a wonderful home for him, and return to cement his place as a decade plus, legendary jaggy icon too.

come home chris ..... dundee will always be a shitehole

• Like 1