Dundee Match - 16Th January

Fawlty Towers

I didn't think we were that bad when we were losing earlier in the season...or that great during our recent good run so I'm just going to put today down as a strange day at Firhill. The phrases "Reality check" & "We missed Osman" pretty much cover it.

Harkins was outstanding in the first half and Dundee could easily have scored 6 or 7 before the break with an exceptional save from Cerny and a shot off the post saving us from real embarrassment. We did make it easy for them though - Lindsay has shown real promise but as against Hearts he had a nightmare...really dopey defending to lose possession to Harkins and then give Gary the opportunity to fall over his leg...and a dreadful pass out of defence lead to the fourth goal. I did think Hemmings ran in to him for his first booking...didn't see the second clearly but it did seem a bit harsh sending off...but naive defending.

Their second goal looked like a late challenge on Cerny. I like Lawless but he was criminally caught in possession for their third goal and credit to the amazing keen eyes of the ref to spot the ball was out of play for the throw in from which they scored their fourth...I was in a better position in the JHS and couldn't see the lines at that stage.

That and the sticky pitch didn't make for a great "matchday experience" and it was a sparse turn out by the Jags fans though the weather from about 1pm made up a few minds not to go. We stuck in well but the game was over after 15 minutes.

I still don't think there is very much between all the teams outwith Celtic, Aberdeen & Hearts...and on a positive note, I have never been a fan of Christie Elliot but he played well in his short spell.

• Members
and credit to the amazing keen eyes of the ref to spot the ball was out of play for the throw in from which they scored their fourth...I was in a better position in the JHS and couldn't see the lines at that stage.

That was Dumbaya's fault. He stopped when the ref and linesman had no idea if the ball was in play or not and made the ref's mind up for him. The annoying thing was when the ball was picked up for the throw, you could clearly see the line under where the snow had been and had been lifted with the ball. Very frustrating. Gave possession away twice for goals 1 and 3. Poor decision from Dumbaya for the fourth and we should have been aware of Dundee's tactics for the free kick they scored. Even Pat Nevin pointed it out on TV last week.

A bit disappointing to see Wilson being made the scapegoat for other players failings this week.

Lucky to get away with a 4-2 defeat, the problems that I saw were two full backs pushing forward and nobody dropping back( Amoo or Lawless )to cover which left our defence exposed and highlighted the lack of pace there.

The whole team shoudn't really fall apart because Osman wasn't playing , can't really understand why Gary Miller didn't play from the start in Abdul's position instead Archie went for the inexperienced Wilson.

Glad Christie is back and think he'll make a difference on the right hand side but the lack of depth in the squad is frightening !

Wilson played some good passes but could not be expected to replicate Abdul's presence. Our 2 other more experienced midfielders should have helped him out more. Welsh particularly disappointing.

Christie looked really up for it. Not sure if he should replace Amoo, who at least has a scoring record. Another entry from the bench may be Christie's lot next week as well as he gathers fitness and game time.Was also impressed by Freddie. He had a very poor start to the season, but looks ready to play his part now. He will be determined to take and keep Liam's place. First booking for Liam was harsh, but he was always vulnerable after that, and perhaps Freddie could have been introduced earlier.

A bit disappointing to see Wilson being made the scapegoat for other players failings this week.

I don't think that is the case. Certainly in my case I made it clear the whole team was dreadful today, even reliable guys like Cerny, Dumbaya etc. All I said was that I have yet to see him have a good game for the club and that's the way I see it. He is certainly not being made a scapegoat for that defeat. The boy must have something and doing things in training to impress Archie and Scott, it's just that I have still to see that in action. In hindsight and as a few have pointed out, playing Gary Miller in the holding role might have steadied the ship today.

• Like 1

I didn't think we were that bad when we were losing earlier in the season...or that great during our recent good run so I'm just going to put today down as a strange day at Firhill. The phrases "Reality check" & "We missed Osman" pretty much cover it.

Harkins was outstanding in the first half and Dundee could easily have scored 6 or 7 before the break with an exceptional save from Cerny and a shot off the post saving us from real embarrassment. We did make it easy for them though - Lindsay has shown real promise but as against Hearts he had a nightmare...really dopey defending to lose possession to Harkins and then give Gary the opportunity to fall over his leg...and a dreadful pass out of defence lead to the fourth goal. I did think Hemmings ran in to him for his first booking...didn't see the second clearly but it did seem a bit harsh sending off...but naive defending.

Their second goal looked like a late challenge on Cerny. I like Lawless but he was criminally caught in possession for their third goal and credit to the amazing keen eyes of the ref to spot the ball was out of play for the throw in from which they scored their fourth...I was in a better position in the JHS and couldn't see the lines at that stage.

That and the sticky pitch didn't make for a great "matchday experience" and it was a sparse turn out by the Jags fans though the weather from about 1pm made up a few minds not to go. We stuck in well but the game was over after 15 minutes.

I still don't think there is very much between all the teams outwith Celtic, Aberdeen & Hearts...and on a positive note, I have never been a fan of Christie Elliot but he played well in his short spell.

I thought it was the linesman's job to signal ball out of play. He was looking along the line and could see that it hadn't crossed the line.

I'm scratching my head as to why you come to that conclusion as he barely had a hard decision to make. A day for holding your hands up without blaming anybody else.

You are joking? Cerny was fouled before the ball broke to Harkins for the second goal. Hemmings deliberately ran into Liam on the halfway line for the first booking, He couldn't get out of the way. The throw in that wasn't that led to the, brilliantly scored, fourth. I'm not blaming the ref for a terrible team performance but he was crap.

In our last home game against Ross co we could have been a couple of goals down after the first 20 mins we were fortunate they didn't take their chances,we started the same today but Dundee took their chances and we never looked like getting anything out of this game.No fight,imo we had to many players not interested,maybe they thought the game would be stopped because of the snow.Many more performances like that and we will be in the play off place.I know we have two games in hand over some teams but if we play like that we will get nothing.

In our last home game against Ross co we could have been a couple of goals down after the first 20 mins we were fortunate they didn't take their chances,we started the same today but Dundee took their chances and we never looked like getting anything out of this game.No fight,imo we had to many players not interested,maybe they thought the game would be stopped because of the snow.Many more performances like that and we will be in the play off place.I know we have two games in hand over some teams but if we play like that we will get nothing.

Games in hand are home games v St Johnstone (drew today against a team that were thrashed by Annan last week) and Motherwell (thrashed 6-0 today) It's not all doom and gloom....yet!

Edited by Lindau

Wilson played some good passes but could not be expected to replicate Abdul's presence. Our 2 other more experienced midfielders should have helped him out more. Welsh particularly disappointing.

Christie looked really up for it. Not sure if he should replace Amoo, who at least has a scoring record. Another entry from the bench may be Christie's lot next week as well as he gathers fitness and game time.Was also impressed by Freddie. He had a very poor start to the season, but looks ready to play his part now. He will be determined to take and keep Liam's place. First booking for Liam was harsh, but he was always vulnerable after that, and perhaps Freddie could have been introduced earlier.

This pretty much sums up my opinions of the game too.

Freak game in freak conditions. And we missed osman big time.

Big couple of weeks coming up at the bottom of the league. Back to back wins, and the Arabs will fancy updating THe Great Escape. However back to back wins for us are possible, and would give us some breathing space again (surely).

You are joking? Cerny was fouled before the ball broke to Harkins for the second goal. Hemmings deliberately ran into Liam on the halfway line for the first booking, He couldn't get out of the way. The throw in that wasn't that led to the, brilliantly scored, fourth. I'm not blaming the ref for a terrible team performance but he was crap.

So that's 2 goals and a sending off you're blaming the ref for, but you're not blaming the ref.

So that's 2 goals and a sending off you're blaming the ref for, but you're not blaming the ref.

It was a bad day. None of our players can escape criticism. We were well beaten. If Dundee hadn't gone in at half time 4 - 1 up they would have tried in the second and, I believe, we would still have been well beaten. I repeat, I'm not blaming the ref but he was crap.

There was a spell of 20 mins or so in the 1st half when we were on top and if we had managed to get a 2nd goal, it could well have been different. However, the fourth goal really finished it. Nobody had a good game. Maybe Booth was the best of a bad bunch. A couple of things in particular concern me. Bannigan didn't seem interested today and in the last few games Dumbuya seems reluctant to get forward.