Dundee Match - 16Th January

Fawlty Towers

A bit early I know but this is the start of an important 3 games for us and it would be great if we could get a large support for this one. With Dundee's cup game being off today they are now playing on Tuesday night so lets hope for a heavy pitch and a few injuries (not serious) for Dundee. Hopefully Dumbuya and Fraser are back and maybe even a new signing as well.

• Like 2

Not sure what we have to do to beat this lot. Might be exaggerating (tho' I've no memories to believe differently) but home and away we usually play them off the park, yet we have failed to beat them on any of the five meetings so far. Three 1-1 draws and two 0-1 defeats with all five of their goals coming in the 2nd half (mostly late on). All their goals have either been winners or equalisers.

If you don't read too much into the last two goals we lost we appear to be much better these days of seeing a game out (less deep defending late on). Perhaps our biggest failings are not scoring or not scoring more goals when we're so far on top of a game. Think Osman will be a big loss but if we take our chances we should still win this game with a bit to spare.

Hope as Fawlty Tower says we get a great turnout both manager and players deserve it.

I make it we only had one home game in December and that was against Ross county, trying to get a number of our great players tied up on new deals will be helped if we can start getting bigger gates

Edited by Third Lanark
  • Like 1

If you don't read too much into the last two goals we lost we appear to be much better these days of seeing a game out (less deep defending late on).

Because of the weather we took the car to Paisley on Friday and as a result was in the ground around 7. In the ground half an hour before kick off is a total novelty act for me, it's usually half a minute before kick off. Was pretty surprised at the level of intensity at the pre match training with Mendes. I think we are seeing out games better because we are a very fit side now and the credit must go to Archie, Scott, Junior and the back room staff and most importantly the players for all the efforts they have put in.

• Like 1

Suppose David Wilson is an option.

So is Declan McDaid, with Bannigan and Welsh holding. A bit lightweight though.

Or either Frans or Miller in a midfield holding role?

Maybe none are ideal, but we do have options.

Edited by allyo

No idea of what the starting 11 will be without Osman, assuming Fraser is fit he starts,if he isn't fit then i've no idea. We have literally no squad.

There's no like for like replacement for Abdul. Not even an Abdul Lite. Fraser has the potential to be the "hard man" in midfield but hasn't really shown that side of the game too often. Besides it would be a bit too much to ask of the lad when he's returning after a niggling injury. I suppose Wilson is the closest we've got to a makeshift replacement for Osman. Only other possibility would be to move Frans or Miller into the holding role but I've no idea how effective or practical that would be.

eta hadn't seen two above posts also suggesting Miller :)

Edited by lady-isobel-barnett

Fraser will come back if fit.

If not then he could put Mustapha in on the right hand side of midfield and leave Miller at right back, with Lawless moving into the centre. Normally not be keen on playing Dumbuya here but its an option I think Archie will consider.

Welsh and Banzo will play the two central midfield roles imo.

Fraser will come back if fit.

If not then he could put Mustapha in on the right hand side of midfield and leave Miller at right back, with Lawless moving into the centre. Normally not be keen on playing Dumbuya here but its an option I think Archie will consider.

Welsh and Banzo will play the two central midfield roles imo.

I was thinking this option too. I reckon Lawless is more effective in the middle, but it also lends us to a more attacking setup. Fraser may not be a certain starter due to lack of game time, even though needs must.

I really hope we've got a couple of players lined up. The last week or so has proved how thin our squad is currently.

I am sure Miller has played midfield before for St Johnstone, so wouldn't he be a good replacement for Osman, considering as a mainly defensive player he would have the right mentality for that position? That would mean we could bring back Dumbuya to right back and have minimal change to the team. It would still be a light bench with only Pogba and Frans as experienced players - unless Fraser and Elliot (possibly useful as a second half sub) were deemed fit.

Edited by Mr Bunny

Dundee cup game tomorrow already off and rescheduled for the 26th

This from the BBC:

Dundee's Scottish Cup fourth round tie with Falkirk has been postponed for a second time.

The teams were scheduled to meet at Dens Park on Tuesday after Saturday's match was called off due to a waterlogged pitch.

However, drainage issues have again rendered the pitch unplayable.

With
an area of the playing surface in need of excavation and relaying
, a new date of 26 January has been set for the game.

Not sure what we have to do to beat this lot. Might be exaggerating (tho' I've no memories to believe differently) but home and away we usually play them off the park, yet we have failed to beat them on any of the five meetings so far. Three 1-1 draws and two 0-1 defeats with all five of their goals coming in the 2nd half (mostly late on). All their goals have either been winners or equalisers.

If you don't read too much into the last two goals we lost we appear to be much better these days of seeing a game out (less deep defending late on). Perhaps our biggest failings are not scoring or not scoring more goals when we're so far on top of a game. Think Osman will be a big loss but if we take our chances we should still win this game with a bit to spare.

I feel it's crucial to get the first goal ( or two ) in this fixture. The Dees have had enough luck against us since their top flight return.

We've been a wee bit shot shy over the last few games and I'd hope we can get some quality service to Doolan so that he can go on another scoring run. He was unlucky against County and his effort against St Mirren was quality and allowed Amoo to prod home.

Feed the Doolinator B)

• Like 1

Match report on OS states that Elliott missed the game through illness.

'MacKenzie made one change from the side which started against Falkirk with match-winner Neil McLaughlin brought into the starting line up ahead of Christie Elliott, struggling through illness.'

I'd heard earlier that it was Penrice that covered for Christie, suggesting he was going to start at left back. Bit of a setback in game time for Elliott. Hibs U20s would've given him a real test as well.