Least (And Most) Enjoyable Matches

ThickAsThieves

Yesterday was up there as one of the least enjoyable matches I've witnessed since our promotion. But where does it rank for you? We can also list enjoyable matches too so that this isn't all doom and gloom.

Counting matches that I've attended only. So for example, I wasn't at the 5-2 match vs Kilmarnock or the 0-4 hammering from Hearts.

Least enjoyable:

1. Partick Thistle 1-5 Celtic

I doubt this one will ever be topped. There was a horrible atmosphere in the air, not helped by Celtic fans in the home end. We looked very poor and the game was over very early.

2. Partick Thistle 2-4 Dundee

After a day of reflection, yesterday takes second spot for me. The horrible conditions played no part in any of their goals, we were just not up for the fight and the opening 15 minutes were embarrassing. We rallied for five minutes after Amoo scored then that was it. Defence rattled, midfield non-existent, and I left 10 minutes early - which I never do but my old man's knee was playing up and it was clear we were never getting anything from that game - so I missed Doolan's goal.

3. Partick Thistle 1-3 Ross County

A match that convinced me we were going to finish 11th. County looked hungrier and played us off the park in one of the most WTF performances I've ever seen from us. We were shite. Fair play though, we managed to recover pretty quickly so hopefully we can do the same again.

Most enjoyable:

1. Hearts 2-4 Partick Thistle

I almost never went to this match, my brother twisted my arm at the last minute. End-to-end stuff under the floodlights, Fraser with a spectacular strike, it was a very important match (clinched survival) but a very, very entertaining match too.

2. Partick Thistle 2-0 Motherwell

To me this had all the atmosphere of a play-off match. We rose to the challenge in style and played them off the park - which doesn't usually happen in such a crucial match.

3. Partick Thistle 3-1 Aberdeen

Finally getting that home win was such a relief. After the penalty save at 0-0 I had a feeling we'd go on to win; against very tough opposition.

One of the most unhappy games for me was the 2-1 home defeat by Morton in April 1970 - it confirmed what was inevitable for a long time - was very young but it just made me an unhappy wee boy - not in the anger/rage way that some defeats have had but I was probably too young, at that time, to have experienced the full gamut of despair (punctuated by some joy of course) that following the club has put me through!

Of course, with the benefit of hindsight, that Morton result was probably fantastic - relegation was a God-send and led to the best game that will ever be (certainly for us of a certain vintage), but at the time I was probably grateful that the season was over and there was no more football for 3 months. Batteries were suitably re-charged by the following August and some good times followed (at least for a couple of years).

Edited by JeanieD

The match I have enjoyed least recently was probably the defeat to Falkirk earlier in the season. That was utterly dreadful.

Overall I think the angriest I've been was when Clyde were gubbing us 4-0 at h/t under the Dickster, so yesterday doesn't come close.

I'd say the win v Aberdeen at home is the most enjoyable since we came back up.

Either of the utterly spineless home losses to St Mirren last season were up there, absolutely shambolic displays both of them. Or the 5-1 v Motherwell first season back was hard to take. I think the cup game v Caley last season takes it though, absolutely dreadful.

The 1-0 v Morton was incredible, best atmosphere I've ever experienced at Firhill. 2-0 v Motherwell last season was great too, and the 5-4 v Queens Park was one of the most enjoyable games of football I've watched.

I think I would add the 3-1 win vs Falkirk on the 1st day of our promotion season as one of the most enjoyable. That was also the 1st game of the singers in the North Stand. Poor guy in the pink. There were a few others that season. As has been mentioned, the 5-1 vs Dunfermline and 7-0 vs Airdrie

• Like 1

2-4 defeats are never the worst.

Even the Motherwell 1-5 not the worst.

I would select only from games that we lose 1-0, specially if the goal was in the last minute and we have been defending for 89 minutes.

Because I like to see goals!!!!

Celtic 2 weeks ago or Dundee away last season.

Most enjoyable game since promotion Ross co away last season when SOD and Higgy were brilliant.

Most enjoyable game ever. Too easy for someone watching the jags for 50 years!

So 2nd most enjoyable probably the away cup tie at Dundee when Andy Gibson scored the winner and they had that Chinese guy Faneee!

Saturday doesn't rate for me at all. I think the worst games are when you're on a bad run.

Ross co at Firhill last season was the worst since promotion. Though the second St Mirren one runs it close.

Best since promotion was maybe 3-1 over Aberdeen.

All time worst, no idea. Somewhere in the depths of the second division probably, but the Ayr United game is the one that comes to mind. And all time best would be 3-0 over Rangers. But the Morton game was up there.

I can't remember the year, late seventies/early eighties, perhaps the more knowledgeable

would know, but it was against Dundee at home surprise surprise.

The team went in at half time 2-0 to the good.

Terrific football, totally in control of the game.

The team that came out were eleven guys that the manager (BA?) had found playing football out in a local park.

The game finished 2-3.

It was the first time I had experienced the Jekyll and Hyde personality of a Jags team.

The Morton crunch promotion game wasn't pretty but the feeling of joy at the final whistle, was fantastic.