Doolan Contract Extension To Summer 2019

Woodstock Jag

This is a fantastic piece of news.

http://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/scotsol/homepage/sport/spl/partickthistle/6869731/Kris-Doolan-pens-new-Partick-Thistle-deal.html?CMP=spklr-_-Editorial-_-TWITTER-_-scotsunsport-_-20160118-_-SunScotSport-_-334648345-_-Imageandlink

When we look back on this era of the Jags in 30+ years time, the two players that will encapsulate what it meant to watch Thistle, for my generation, will be Kris Doolan and Chris Erskine. There will be honourable mentions of good servants, like Bannigan and Rowson, journeymen who did a decent turn, like Higginbotham and Osman. Even a few decent likeable talents like O'Donnell who eventually plied their trade elsewhere. But these two players made it into professional football the hard way at a time when we were going through a slow and painstaking period of renewal as a football club to equip ourselves for the future. Neither of them is even remotely a prima donna, neither of them is without their footballing faults, but both of them just seemed to click with Thistle in ways you could never imagine them really quite fitting-in elsewhere. Entertaining, ambitious, and Erskine's "Archie moment" aside, really loyal to the whole idea of our football club and what it means to us as the fans.

Players with more flair and skill have come and gone, and may well come and go in the next couple of years, but none that also quite had the same beating heart of Thistledom.

fantastic news and echo completely your comments.

Completely deserving of a testimonial

Well done Kris and well deserved

Yeh, great initial post. All been said. Younger fans will possibly get their last chance to see a Jags legend complete a 10 year spell.

Tongue in cheek time but special thanks must go Kilmarnock FC for being so unappealing a destination and Jackie McNamara for his poor assessment of footballers ( last I heard he's trialing Derek Riordan at York City).

Is that the same York City that have got four points and dropped out of two cup competitions in their last fifteen games?

This is a fantastic piece of news.

http://www.thescotti...-_-Imageandlink

When we look back on this era of the Jags in 30+ years time, the two players that will encapsulate what it meant to watch Thistle, for my generation, will be Kris Doolan and Chris Erskine. There will be honourable mentions of good servants, like Bannigan and Rowson, journeymen who did a decent turn, like Higginbotham and Osman. Even a few decent likeable talents like O'Donnell who eventually plied their trade elsewhere. But these two players made it into professional football the hard way at a time when we were going through a slow and painstaking period of renewal as a football club to equip ourselves for the future. Neither of them is even remotely a prima donna, neither of them is without their footballing faults, but both of them just seemed to click with Thistle in ways you could never imagine them really quite fitting-in elsewhere. Entertaining, ambitious, and Erskine's "Archie moment" aside, really loyal to the whole idea of our football club and what it means to us as the fans.

Players with more flair and skill have come and gone, and may well come and go in the next couple of years, but none that also quite had the same beating heart of Thistledom.

That sums it up nicely, WJ.

Doolan for another three and a half years is another piece of fantastic news.

I was nearly greetin watching it.

likewise man, just sat with a big grin on my face, i just pray he gets the 100 goals, im certain he will.

Humility and humour...and a historymaker. Love his scoring ambitions and good of him to leave Willie Sharp as the all-time number one and to focus on hunting down the rest.

Yeh he's so humble but i love his understated confidence

Bursting with pride and joy at watching Dools' interview.

Who were our most recent one-club players? I'm thinking Jackie Campbell, Andy Anderson, and Davie McParland? I guess also John Hansen, career cut short by injury.

Absolute cracking interview. A true professional but we all knew that.

Jagger, I'd never take anything away from the players you mention. Davie McP is my all time Jags hero and the others (btw add Donnie McKinnon) aren't far behind. But these players all played before freedom of contract and later Bosman. I'm not saying it ever happened with them but a "one club player" could've regularly asked for a transfer and been refused. One of the greatest one club players of all time, Tom Finney, wanted to go to play in Italy but the PNE chairman knocked the proposed transfer back. Long winded way of saying in this day and age Kris D signing on like this is exceptional. I'm not sure if our younger fans will ever see another Jags player receive a testimonial for ten years unbroken service.

• Like 1

Absolute cracking interview. A true professional but we all knew that.

Jagger, I'd never take anything away from the players you mention. Davie McP is my all time Jags hero and the others (btw add Donnie McKinnon) aren't far behind. But these players all played before freedom of contract and later Bosman. I'm not saying it ever happened with them but a "one club player" could've regularly asked for a transfer and been refused. One of the greatest one club players of all time, Tom Finney, wanted to go to play in Italy but the PNE chairman knocked the proposed transfer back. Long winded way of saying in this day and age Kris D signing on like this is exceptional. I'm not sure if our younger fans will ever see another Jags player receive a testimonial for ten years unbroken service.

Full agreement, LIB. It is really exceptional for this era. I wonder how many there are in Scottish football at present. I don't mean simply long-timers, but one-professional-club-onlyers that have lasted more than six consecutive years, never mind ten.

ETA: How could I forget Donnie McKinnon in that list!!!

Edited by Jaggernaut

Full agreement, LIB. It is really exceptional for this era. I wonder how many there are in Scottish football at present. I don't mean simply long-timers, but one-professional-club-onlyers that have lasted more than six consecutive years, never mind ten.

ETA: How could I forget Donnie McKinnon in that list!!!

Andrew Considine at Aberdeen is the only one I can think of from the top of my head, been there since about 2003 I think.

Keith Lasley might be another although I think he went down south at one point.

Lasley is more of the "Archie" type of club servant in so much as he started at 'Well and had a few years away before returning. Considine certainly fits the bill.

If the criteria is full time footballer, unbroken service of say 7+ years and never having played first team football for another league side then I think we're looking at a very short list.

I will never forget the day of Dools' debut. 10th January 2009 at Inverness. It will forever stare at me out of the paper copy of my driving licence. Daughter's hockey match in Glasgow delayed finish meant late start to the drive north and over eagerness to make up time on the A9. Got there for the start (Kris came on as a sub), but the inevitable letter arrived a few days later. Only time I have emerged from a cup tie with 3 points.

Even Julius Caesar in his dying breath paid tribute to Kris Doolan. As the terminal blows rained upon him he gasped "Eighty two, ya beauty". So I can do nothing less. Here is my Dools Hall of Fame, a Golden Dozen in reverse order. There are so many magic moments, I have had to resort to dubious tactics to shoehorn a few more in. Even then there is no space for his Grand Slam against Stirling Albion, the goals against Falkirk that kickstarted our promotion campaign and his recent fine strike against Inverness at Firhill. No doubt there are others I have forgotten. I am relying on memory here and have not re-checked any of the details. So please forgive any inaccuracies below.

12) Dummy against Hibs. The only one which does not involve Dools scoring. Fine team move. Low cross from the right. Kris moves towards the ball drawing the defence to him. However, showing tremendous awareness he lets the ball run past him to the better placed Chris Erskine who lashes into the net from the edge of the box.

11) Typical touch at Tannadice. In our recent game against Dundee United, Kris had one half chance at best and he made the most of it.The deftest of touches to control, the quickest of swivels and the ball has been directed into the corner of the net before any of the posse of defenders around him can get near.

10) Headers against St Mirren at Firhill. Dools scores more headed goals than many of us realise, not on account of his height, but due to perfect timing and movement. Pinpoint crosses from Higgy at the south end and Stevie Lawless at the north end are duly despatched.

9) Double double against Killie. 4 this season so far and counting, all instructive examples of the strikers' art of being in the right place at the right time, losing the defenders and directing the ball well away from the keeper. The first two when we just could not score and the second two when the goals were free flowing.

8) Last Minute Winners. From close in at Cappielow, sliding in at the back post, and from far out on the final game of the season at Firhill against Queen of the South, with a lob volley. Flashes of genius to enliven dull days.

7) Rescuing Points at Raith. Twice Dools does it for us at Kirkcaldy, grabbing vital draws from games when the team was not at its best. The second was particularly important in preserving our unbeaten record and keeping us ahead of Dunfermline in the promotion race.

6) Double at Dingwall. This is when I began to realise we had a special player on our hands. The McCall promotion push had faltered with a dismal home defeat to Clyde. A difficult midweek fixture away to Ross County produced a comfortable and welcome victory with two clinical finishes from Kris. Good chances both but not easy. Confidently and efficiently taken and you just knew he was never going to miss. Was this where the trademark Doooooooooolan chant and finger point began to emerge?

5) Heavy First Touches. One of Kris' supreme skills is the featherlight first touch, taming the most unruly high ball on his toe. Yet sometimes he can use a deliberately heavy first touch to re-direct the path of the ball, eliminate the defence and create space for the shot. Two supreme examples in consecutive weeks in our first season in the Premier, away at Inverness and at home against Celtic.

4) Last Minute Drama at the Ramsden. If we had enjoyed better fortune in the penalty shoot out, this one might have been top of the list. A goal down and a man down with seconds remaining in extra time, who else but Dools is there to snatch the equaliser and send the fans into raptures.

3) After the Fog in Fife. Following the Kirkcaldy equaliser mentioned above, Kris had been relatively quiet as Chris Erskine, Stevie Lawless and Steven Craig came to the fore in the scoring charts. Yet cometh the hour, cometh the Doolan. The pressure was on, Morton were points ahead and our games in hand were two awkward encounters with Cowdenbeath at the idiosyncratic stock car racing track. Four goals from Kris inspired two precious victories. Along with Aero's penalty against Hamilton and the Bridge's stunning volley against Airdrie, these were the hard yard goals on cold winter days and nights, and without these we would never have won promotion.

2) Going solo at Easter Road. This has to be Kris' best goal ever. Long ball from defence comes to him with his back to a distant goal far out on the halfway line. An acrobatic back flick wrongfoots the two centre halves and he is away, but with an incredibly long way to go. Kris hares towards the box, showing great pace, keeping control of the ball and staying ahead of his pursuers. A slight change of direction disconcerts the defenders and suddenly Kris is one on one with the keeper. How he retained the balance and poise to dink the ball into the net I will never know. What a goal. A privilege to have seen it.

1) Masterclass against Hamilton. Four classic goals, one a routine striker's finish and the other three displaying supreme quality in all its facets. Another deliberately heavy first touch (see above), a cheeky but classy back heel showing amazing spatial awareness when all other routes to goal were blocked, and one more of these beautifully timed headers.

DOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOLAN!!!. And there is more to come.....

• Like 15