Hearts Game

Lionel J. Botch

Very frustrating. Bit unlucky not to get a point. Hearts started well and had us penned back for the first 10 minutes or so but we then had a wee spell of 5 minutes where we created 3 great chances. Alexander made a great save from a Pogba header before Amoo had a chance when Seaborne headed down the resulting corner to him. He just couldn't get enough on it on the turn. Then Pogba plays Lawless clean through on Alexander and I've no idea what he was trying to do. He should just have smashed it on the volley but he ended up knocking it square when we had no-one else there. He was maybe trying to lift it over Alexander but if that's the case he got it horribly wrong. Hearts then got the goal far too easily with the header from a corner. Was at the other end so couldn't see how the boy managed to get free.

Second half we had them penned in their own half for long spells but without really creating anything clear cut. Amoo gave their left back problems all day long, beating him all ends up a few times but without getting a decent final ball in. I lost count of the number of crosses their centre halfs headed away.

Seaborne was superb. Had that horrible cheating Juanma in his pocket. What a disgrace of a player he is. Lawless had a decent game too.

Was a plane circling the ground for the first 20 minutes trailing a banner saying "No style, no bottle. Neilson out"! What an embarrassment.

Edited by Duck snort

Back down to earth after the euphoria of Wednesday.

Only 3 efforts on target tells the story.

And just like Weds, a goal lost from a cross.

Poor.

Find it hard to be too critical of our effort today. Sometimes you've just got to give credit to the opposition. In this case I thought the Hearts back line were exceptionally good today. Perhaps the best defensive display we faced all season. Assume you saw differently, BC?

That was supposed to be entertainment? It was a long ball game in which the ability to run after the ball counted for more than ball control. Never mind the result - that was Highland League stuff.

Only towards the end of the game did it look as if our players realised it might be worth playing the ball on the deck and stringing some passes together, but by that time they'd shown they weren't up to the standard of the Hearts team at hoofball and head tennis. Pogba should have been hooked by halftime, as his slow pace meant he was never going to cause any problems except when on the end of route 1 and set pieces. It is not news that our team is not very good at playing that kind of game: so why persist in it?

Archie needs to stop consoling himself with the loss of only 1 goal, and consider what lineup and tactics can provide the playmaking that gives our team the advantage - not in the final 10 minutes, but from the start.

• Like 1

I'd be surprised if he was there at all, given his report over others.

It wasn't a report - it was an observation.

At least I'm not "pretty pleased with a 1-0 defeat".

How can you ever be happy at getting defeated?

Edited by Big Col
  • Like 1

Find it hard to be too critical of our effort today. Sometimes you've just got to give credit to the opposition. In this case I thought the Hearts back line were exceptionally good today. Perhaps the best defensive display we faced all season. Assume you saw differently, BC?

Correct.

I didn't go to the game because we are terrified of the big 3.

We must escape the attitude that it is ok to lose 1-0. There is no entertainment in a game like that. What a waste of money. This is the main reason for declining crowds.

Would rather lose 4-2 trying to score some goals.

Archie hS built a cracking team with some great attackers. It's about time he put them to good use against the top

Teams.

• Like 6

Why was Doolan - our top goalscorer and biggest threat - not brought on before the last 7 mins? Is he not fit or is he carrying an injury? The team is better than to play 80 mins with the prime objective of not losing goals and containing the opposition - especially when you go a goal down after 25 mins. I agree wholeheartedly with Weebaw1.

• Like 2

If you were at the game yesterday you would have seen that Archie got his tactics spot on. Hearts are a very good side particularly at Tynecastle, they have lost only 1 league game at home and IMHO at the moment are a level above us.

They use their physicality to their advantage, thus why it made sense to deploy Pogba up front. I also think that we have a number of games coming up which will be better suited to Dools starting.

Yesterday showed we have improved as the season has evolved and although we should never be happy with a defeat we also need to put things into perspective.

• Like 1