2016-17 Pre Season Thread!

Lindau

Just in from Kirkcaldy. Hard to give anyone pass marks after that except the trialist goalie who had 4 or 5 good saves, wee Penrice who showed some nice touches and Osman who tried hard in the first half. Apart from about 10 minutes in the first half where we held the ball but didn't really threaten, it was pretty much a midfield stramash with Raith looking the most likely. I thought Raith should have had two penalties in the first half with late, last-ditch tackles twice resulting in no ball contact and a Raith striker hitting the floor...

Dools, Lawless and Erskine didn't click and the ball just didn't stick for them - particularly Erskine who gave the ball away a lot and about 3 times he passed towards his own goal and straight to a Rovers player, resulting with either a save from our goalie or a corner to Raith. We would have been punished against better opposition. Pogba, Azeez and McDaid didn't really make an impact when they came on. Osman was our best player in the first half. Welsh didn't do anything of note.

The defence looked pretty shaky throughout and were pulled all over the place by Raith's attack. Our number 6 did shout a lot and try to get our defence moving up the field. Syme was OK but twice on his side they got shots on goal from a throw in (he should have learned from the first one). Devine seemed OK but nothing of note really.

Raith looked quicker, sharper, more threatening.... Typical pre-season Thistle really!

• Like 1

Just back from Starks Park... 0-0 was fair, typical pre-season friendly. We started off disorganised and lacking any sharpness but after 10 minutes got going. We we fairly comfortable without creating any chances in the first half. Second half continued in the same vain until Osman and Erskine were subbed. Team got younger and younger. Raith had the best chances but they were shots from outside or edge of the area. We had one effort on target all match, I think.

Some opinions on players... Trialist keeper was small but seemed okay, saved a couple of efforts but wasn't greatly tested. Syme looked good, fairly fast and positive and some strength. Devine was a little disappointing, turned easily and missed several challenges, but probably just needing to gel and get sharp. Trialist no 6 looked pretty good, won most challenges but isn't a massive lad. Penrice wasn't great, poor touches, poor passes and couldn't beat his man, hope/expect to see better from him though. Welsh, Osman and Stevie all their usual. Erskine was postive and pushed us forward, needs to sharpen his touch but linked well with Stevie. Doolan wasn't involved.

Subs... McCarthy (?) looked good, some nice touches. Pogba didn't do much but gave some presence. Amoo looked a little threatening and his usual. Azeez looked positive but only had a couple of runs that fizzled out. McDaid did very little. McInally (?), don't think he did much.

Sorry for a long post, hope it helps those that couldn't make the game :)

• Like 1

Would agree with what the massive bottom has just noted. I saw the Dunfermline match and tonight and the footage from the weekend and you could get double decker buses through our defence. If Raith had had a finisher it could have been the same result as Saturday.

The goalie looked tiny but did okay. Devine is fine but needs a big hard man beside him...

Thought it was strange near the end when with all the subs we seemed to have only two defenders left.

Thought that Azeez might do something for us this season - lots of stopovers and looks as if on his day he will cause some damage.

Not struck by the other centre half trialist- did okay but we have no presence at the back at all as it stands at the moment..

Was it young McCarthy(?) who came on late on. Now that laddie could be a player. Confident on the ball and some good passes in contrast with many of his more experienced team mates who gave the ball away all night.

Doolan, Erskine and to a lesser extent Lawless did very little.

Maybe we should not be criticising a team made up of laddies and trialists (at least half of it) Long way to go and most of our team is out injured.

Some observations:

1. Stark Park main stand is a sh1thole

2. I'm still trying to work out if the "tea" was from rats or cats

3. Turgid game of football

4. Last seasons scapegoat looks like he'll be this seasons scapegoat

5. Agree about no.6 -looked comfortable all game

6. Lack of creativity is a concern

7. Why are there so many wee goalkeepers?

Some observations:

1. Stark Park main stand is a sh1thole

2. I'm still trying to work out if the "tea" was from rats or cats

3. Turgid game of football

4. Last seasons scapegoat looks like he'll be this seasons scapegoat

5. Agree about no.6 -looked comfortable all game

6. Lack of creativity is a concern

7. Why are there so many wee goalkeepers?

What one? We've had some great scapegoats down the years.

Yep. Heard some grumblings from those around me whenever he gave the ball away or misplaced a pass.

To be fair to him, he wasn't the only one guilty of that. But they didn't seem to get the same grumblings.

Edited by Big Col

Yep. Heard some grumblings from those around me whenever he gave the ball away or misplaced a pass.

To be fair to him, he wasn't the only one guilty of that. But they didn't seem to get the same grumblings.

Spot on there tho' Wilson could be the new Welsh this season. I imagine even the most ardent scapegoater must get tired of moaning about the one player. I can't imagine worries about central midfield (defensive or attacking) will be occupying too much of Archie's thoughts at the moment.

If we were trialing unknown forwards last night Erskine and Doolan would be politely told "thanks, but no thanks". Lawless might be given another trial to see if he could link up better with players who could actually pass and hold on to the ball.

Does anyone know where away will be situated at cappielow tomorrow? After a previous visit I vowed never to go again if we were in the stand. The legroom for anyone 6ft+ is an absolute joke and I ended up leaving at half time after arguing with a steward about it. All I wanted was to stand at the corner outside the stand ( not behind goal ) but this wasn't allowed. I'm sure others will have had similar experiences

Does anyone know where away will be situated at cappielow tomorrow? After a previous visit I vowed never to go again if we were in the stand. The legroom for anyone 6ft+ is an absolute joke and I ended up leaving at half time after arguing with a steward about it. All I wanted was to stand at the corner outside the stand ( not behind goal ) but this wasn't allowed. I'm sure others will have had similar experiences

Very same thoughts about the DVT Stand. If that's the case I think I'd just go in the home end (terracing). Besides it's a restricted view in that daft wee stand.

^^^^^ as couldn't find any answer on ptfc or gmfc websites, i called our hosts to enquire ..... the bad news is, according to the woman i spoke with, thistle supporters "will be accommodated in the far end of the stand", and that "only the stand is open tomorrow", to which i asked her to clarify if that went for the home support too, and that they weren't opening the cowshed, to which she replied "yes, that's correct, main stand only for everyone" ..... i did put across the case that if the wee dublin end was open, they'd likely get more jags fans, but if folk knew in advance it was main stand only, on what could be a lovely summers day, then many could decide not to attend ..... all i can suggest is if fellow jags fans call morton in semi decent numbers, asking about tomorrows arrangements for jags fans, then react surprised and disappointed at being told main stand only, and say that they are less inclined to go to greenock tomorrow, they might, and only might, realise the error of their ways and decide to open up the wee dublin end for us after all ..... 01475 723571 is their number for anyone who wants to try make morton do a swift about turn ..... they listened to their support when they launched their terrible and quickly scrapped home strip, so perhaps if enough jags fans kick up a stink, they'll change their mind again ..... it's either that or we all just storm out the stand en masse and take over the wde :evil: