2016-17 Pre Season Thread!

Lindau

Considering this topic and the informed discussion, I have concluded that we should sign trialist 6(Sean Kelly)till Xmas.

Tell him to become a 'no nonsense' defender to eradicate yesterday's type of mistake.

I haven't seen a game yet this season, Friday will be my first, but the opinion on him seems to be ok but doesn't have a lot of prescence. Really think we need a big powerful unit, with a bit of pace at the back, but God knows where we will get him from. The team on paper is looking good, when everyone is back, but the defence at the moment, scares the hell outta me!

• Like 1

Lindau, I've seen three matches but would agree with you totally. A big fast brute at the back is badly needed, a leader type. And if you and me know that you can bet your boots that Mr Archibald is on the case. It is a month yet till that first league game and I am confident things will happen.

In fairness to Archie he DID say after yesterday's match that "we have not worked on shape yet (except Friday) because it's not been worthwhile" presumably because we don't yet have the players.

I am quietly confident that Archie has things in hand and suddenly there will be a signing that pleases us all, right out of the blue. He DOES keep things close to his chest.

• Like 1

It's, what, four weeks until the league starts? I think we need to focus on that and use the Betfred Cup as a pre-season tournament, much as I'm desperate to see us go on a cup run. We shouldn't be panicked into signing players if we can use the next few weeks to get the injured fit and get the best players in.

Lindau, I've seen three matches but would agree with you totally. A big fast brute at the back is badly needed, a leader type. And if you and me know that you can bet your boots that Mr Archibald is on the case. It is a month yet till that first league game and I am confident things will happen.

In fairness to Archie he DID say after yesterday's match that "we have not worked on shape yet (except Friday) because it's not been worthwhile" presumably because we don't yet have the players.

I am quietly confident that Archie has things in hand and suddenly there will be a signing that pleases us all, right out of the blue. He DOES keep things close to his chest.

We will all keep our fingers crossed on that one. No one knows the financial side of the club other than the directors, management and players. If we had managed to push the boat out a bit further and kept Dan, Fred and Gary, I would have been mega confident of doing really well this season. To lose the three of them has been a blow

We will all keep our fingers crossed on that one. No one knows the financial side of the club other than the directors, management and players. If we had managed to push the boat out a bit further and kept Dan, Fred and Gary, I would have been mega confident of doing really well this season. To lose the three of them has been a blow

Yes, no one knows the financial side bar who you mention. I realise it's not the point you're making but I reckon it's fair to assume by not matching Dan & Fred's wages of last season and not offering a wage "upgrade" to Miller we've been able to fund some valuable business elsewhere in the team. I was tho' under the impression that Dan wanted to move on. Fred I thought came up short in expectations too often and I wouldn't have been too confident if he was to be an assumed starter. I'd like to think Devine is a better player than Frans but time will tell and maybe more importantly by how much.

I sense Miller is the biggest loss but I'm saying that only after knowing the extent of Dumbuya's injury. We have players to cover at right back but they're far from ideal over a lengthy period. Miller is a loss but only on hindsight.

Anyway if we were able to push out boats I'd contend the extra dosh we would've had to find to keep Dan, Fred an Miller would've been far better utilised funding the signing of Ziggy Gordon.

I would love to see Gordon at Firhill but I reckon he is looking for a bigger club than us. Was surprised that he was linked to Dundee. Always thought he was looking down south to further his career, though like many other players have found out sometimes these things don't pan out. He certainly wouldn't be coming here to play second fiddle to Muzzy if and when he is fit again!

I would love to see Gordon at Firhill but I reckon he is looking for a bigger club than us. Was surprised that he was linked to Dundee. Always thought he was looking down south to further his career, though like many other players have found out sometimes these things don't pan out. He certainly wouldn't be coming here to play second fiddle to Muzzy if and when he is fit again!

thing is Muzzy could be out for at least 6 months possibly even a year. He is an excellent player but even before this injury he was a bit injury prone though other than that the guy has been a gem. However if this injury is going to take a long time to recover plus the fact he has been a little injury prone in the past there's a good chance any signing will not be second fiddle to him and it will be for muzzy to bide his time and ensure he is fully fit and all injuries behind him

I certainly haven't read the possibly "out all season" scenario but if that is the case, you wonder if he will be the same player. Just at this moment in time the club doesn't seem to be doing niggly injuries, everything appears to be long term! I know the injury happened after Gary turned down terms, but I wonder if Archie could turn back the clock, if he would push out the boat to have kept him given that he can play centre half as well

Edited by Lindau

Watched the game yesterday and agree with most of the posters , middle to front we will be fine but defensively going with what we've got we're going to be in trouble. Re the keeper for the league cup games , register Kenny Arthur as a player and keep the budget for an experienced centre half possibly someone in the mould of Gordon Greer to help players like Liam Lindsay progress.

Going to be an interesting couple of weeks.

Are we in a better position player wise than at the same time last season? Or are the issues different?

Last season early on was defined by dismissal in the league cup and 3 points from the first 9 games, does anyone see that as a template for the next 3 months?

No need for a new keeper get some experience in the defence and get young Conor Cullen in goal..

He passes a ball about for fun with either foot and has great distribution plus it gives him experience

Against better opposition that he can take into the u20 games!!

The issue, as I see it, is injuries. Add Cerny, Lindsay, Dumbuya, Elliott, Edwards, Fraser, Bannigan & Osman to the squad that played on Saturday and suddenly things look a lot better. Most of these are going to be back sooner rather than later so if we can add to the defence, which is what Archie is trying to do, I don't think we need to panic.

Sorry - don't buy into the apathetic attitude to the League Cup. Yes, the league is the priority - we all agree there. But winning our league cup games will increase the confidence and get the team into the winning habit. Very important in what I think will be a real difficult competitive season.

• Like 1

Sorry - don't buy into the apathetic attitude to the League Cup. Yes, the league is the priority - we all agree there. But winning our league cup games will increase the confidence and get the team into the winning habit. Very important in what I think will be a real difficult competitive season.

exactly plus the further we progress the more money for the club as well

Agree about doing well in the cups, but if it takes our injured players until the league programme to be fit, but we lose out on a cup run for it then it's a sacrifice worth having. As you say this league is going to be utterly cut throat and if we don't have a fit and ready squad for the start of it, we may repeat the start we had last season and I wouldn't be at all confident of a recovery.

I watched Miller give the ball to opposition players at least 7 times in the last game against Hamilton. He defended well, but is not the best footballer.

We have enough strength to win our group in the cup, but also have the rest of the summer to bring in the players required to improve the squad and make the team better than last season's version. Our defensive record was good last season, but I think this was due to defensive midfielders and centre backs. We still have the midfielders and one of the centre backs. I have yet to see Devine, but hope he at least measures up to Dan and Fred. Our full backs are always better attacking than defending. It sounds like the keeper situation is the main concern for the management team. I'm sure they will come up with an answer.

I think miller was a good pro but I think people got a bit carried away with his performances late in the season.

The crunch game at Ross county is an example where he was raved about. However the goal came from the right centre back position and I thought he was really fortunate not to be sent off for the clattering he gave the Ross county guy a few minutes before the end albeit it was high up the pitch.

Would have been happy to keep him but there's a lot of revisionism about how good he Really was.

Anyone know what's happening down Firhill way?

Answerphone message says "Unfortunately, our offices are closed at the moment". Nothing on the OS about it. In fact nothing on the OS since Monday. No twitter updates since Monday either. I haven't had a reply to a sponsorship email I sent on Monday.

Season starts in two days. Seems a bit odd.

Edited by BowenBoys

Anyone know what's happening down Firhill way?

Answerphone message says "Unfortunately, our offices are closed at the moment". Nothing on the OS about it. In fact nothing on the OS since Monday. No twitter updates since Monday either. I haven't had a reply to a sponsorship email I sent on Monday.

Season starts in two days. Seems a bit odd.

Also thought it a bit strange no interview/video with Gordon yet especially since he's been quoted in a host of papers. Perhaps it's the very fact that we kick off the season in two days priorities are elsewhere? Can't for a moment think what or why.