2016-17 Pre Season Thread!

Lindau

Can you be completely unenthusiastic about us re-signing Balatoni without rewriting history and making the lad out to be some sort Devil incarnate? If so count me in.

Frankly I didn't find Frans much of an improvement on Conrad. The latter may have been marginally poorer in defending but was considerably better on the ball and in attack carried more of a goal threat at set pieces. Sorry if that confuses those who only view Jags players past and present in black or white.

• Like 4

time to lob the grenade: Lindsay or Balatoni?

I know Liam is younger and learning, but surely he makes more errors than Conrad? Personally I think Balatoni would be a decent addition to the squad if Archie doesn't have better in his sights

Lindsay all day long and twice on a Saturday. I honestly think Balatoni would be a big step backwards and not in keeping with taking the squad forward. Conrad has had his day and should remember he managed to fulfill his dreams and travel the world all the way to................Kilmarnock to be fair at least the local wildlife is different.....High Six

I can see both sides of the fence in relation to Balatoni.

On one hand, Archie will know exactly what to expect from him and I'm sure he'll fit back in with most of the boys in the squad as if he's never been away. He does a number of things well, knows our style of play and can be a threat at set-pieces.

On the other hand, from what I've seen so far, I'd say he's too similar to Devine in the way he wants to bring the ball out of defence. His whole nonsense about being "too proud" to come back despite us offering him something last summer must be a vacillating principle.

For me, it would be a no - we can and should be aiming for better.

Erskine is a totally different ball game he has enhanced the squad since coming back as last Saturday showed. There is no comparison between Erskine and Balatoni when given the chance to come back Erskine grabbed it with both hands Balatoni went elsewhere and through limited ability managed to get a 3 year contract at a club who finished lower than us in the previous year.

If he is that good why does he not stay at Kilmarnock and fight for his place or has that excellent manager Lee Clark decided after 6 months that he is not up to their high standards????

• Like 4

I can't remember Balatoni ever saying he was wanting to move on to bigger and better things. As far as I was aware he just stated he wanted a change of scenery. Things didn't go according to plan and he ended up at Kilmarnock.

As much as I feel it would be a slightly backward step re-signing him, I think the criticism of him is a bit OTT. He was immense in the run ins of both Premiership seasons he played for us and, if it were a straight choice between him and Lindsay, I would be choosing Balatoni.

However, I'm hoping Archie can get hold of someone better than both of them.

Edited by Jag

I can't remember Balatoni ever saying he was wanting to move on to bigger and better things. As far as I was aware he just stated he wanted a change of scenery. Things didn't go according to plan and he ended up at Kilmarnock.

As much as I feel it would be a slightly backward step re-signing him, I think the criticism of him is a bit OTT. He was immense in the run ins of both Premiership seasons he played for us and, if it were a straight choice between him and Lindsay, I would be choosing Balatoni.

However, I'm hoping Archie can get hold of someone better than both of them.

I would say that is harsh on lindsay, he is a raw 20 year old and learning his trade after one full season. We need to allow our youth players to grow and nurture them to the best they can be. If after 2/3 seasons they are nowhere near good enough then fair enough. We are not a club that can expect players to come in at 17/18/19 etc and be world superstars. Lindsay is way too early to judge and is one of very few players who has actually came through the ranks let alone came through at the games top level.

I would say that is harsh on lindsay, he is a raw 20 year old and learning his trade after one full season. We need to allow our youth players to grow and nurture them to the best they can be. If after 2/3 seasons they are nowhere near good enough then fair enough. We are not a club that can expect players to come in at 17/18/19 etc and be world superstars. Lindsay is way too early to judge and is one of very few players who has actually came through the ranks let alone came through at the games top level.

Agree. Plus there's every chance Lindsay could demand a decent transfer fee sometime in the future. It's already been established, or certainly looks like it, Balatoni can't get anyone to buy out his present contract.

I can see both sides of the fence in relation to Balatoni.

On one hand, Archie will know exactly what to expect from him and I'm sure he'll fit back in with most of the boys in the squad as if he's never been away. He does a number of things well, knows our style of play and can be a threat at set-pieces.

On the other hand, from what I've seen so far, I'd say he's too similar to Devine in the way he wants to bring the ball out of defence. His whole nonsense about being "too proud" to come back despite us offering him something last summer must be a vacillating principle.

For me, it would be a no - we can and should be aiming for better.

Should you not be sitting on the fence rather than seeing both sides of it?

Sitting may be rather uncomfortable but at least you will not strain your eyes.

Good point, as we want show everyone that we are a team giving our young players a chance. A reputation like this can help attract young players to the club. This then brings nice transfer fees.

I'm not too concerned which central defence partnership we use, but more worried we have adequate cover for Abdul as our style of play demands a strong defensive midfielder. From our current squad, I'd suggest Ziggy might be best alternative for there.

In no way was what I said meant to be harsh on Lindsay. Simply a preference of one player over another if I was faced with a choice.

I have every confidence that Lindsay is going to be an excellent player for Thistle. He rarely misses a header.

Jag, you must remember how Muirhead and BalAtoni were bullied in the PL. Conrad used to fall over regularly while being outmuscled. He eventually improved when Aaron did not but still was not big enough to cope. And liable to a howler.

Lindsay was made to pay for a few errors last year, I admit but he is still inexperienced and will learn from his mistakes.

He has returned taller, leaner and quicker.

I no longer worry about opposition set pieces.

I have every confidence that Lindsay is going to be an excellent player for Thistle. He rarely misses a header.

Jag, you must remember how Muirhead and BalAtoni were bullied in the PL. Conrad used to fall over regularly while being outmuscled. He eventually improved when Aaron did not but still was not big enough to cope. And liable to a howler.

Lindsay was made to pay for a few errors last year, I admit but he is still inexperienced and will learn from his mistakes.

He has returned taller, leaner and quicker.

I no longer worry about opposition set pieces.

I think it was from a corner we conceded on Tuesday, though

I don't think the discussion here should be about whether Balatoni is better than Lindsay or vice versa - it should be about whether Balatoni is good enough as backup and we do need backup in Central Defense.

In the one game I have seen(QOTS), I thought Lindasy looked more comfortable on the left side than last season(on the right).However, I do think that he will probably need some relief this season, even if he stays fit and suspension free. Could Balatoni be that player - probably. Would he want to be - probably not.

• Like 1