New Signing

West Ender

Devine is a bit of a meh signing. Seems we are on the cheap again.

Who the **** do you espect ? Sergio Ramos ?

We have got a solid, young central defender (I think he can play rightback too) with decent SPFL experience from a rival who obviously wanted to keep him. Go and find some billy goat gruff to troll

• Like 2

I'm not too sure how we can be described as being "on the cheap" if we sign a player who knocks back a contract at a club that only weeks ago were anticipated to half inch two or three of our lads. There's a common denominator arising amongst many of our signings/re-signings, and that being us being seen as a more attractive club to sign for than clubs who you'd previously have expected to beat us to the signature.

I'd suggest signing Devine could be seen as a step up from Frans and most of us wouldn't have been unhappy had our ex-Belgian re-signed.

• Like 1

Devine is a bit of a meh signing. Seems we are on the cheap again.

Ah c'mon mate....

Devine seems to me to be potentially a similar type of utility defender to Gary Miller, has his preferred position but could do a pro job elsewhere if required. Predominantly a central defender but started games across the back 4 at caley last year. We can't carry a big squad and need that kinda player. Miller going left quit a big hole in the squad.

Young but with decent experience. Think he played in the cup finals with caley? and he was a regular starter in a team who finished above us.....

The guy has gotta prove himself for sure, but looks like "decent bit of business" rather than "meh" to me.

Ah c'mon mate....

Devine seems to me to be potentially a similar type of utility defender to Gary Miller, has his preferred position but could do a pro job elsewhere if required. Predominantly a central defender but started games across the back 4 at caley last year. We can't carry a big squad and need that kinda player. Miller going left quit a big hole in the squad.

Young but with decent experience. Think he played in the cup finals with caley? and he was a regular starter in a team who finished above us.....

The guy has gotta prove himself for sure, but looks like "decent bit of business" rather than "meh" to me.

Just my opinion. Happy to be proved wrong.

Ah c'mon mate....

I may be picking you up wrong but I'm not too sure that Devine can be seen as a replacement for Miller. That would suggest that he's not an anticipated first choice centreback. As I read it the signing of Syme (who can cover at right back) with his first team experience means we only require three centrebacks instead of four (3 squad and an U20).

I'd suggest the remaining centreback vacancy will be filled by a natural left sided player. Much as I admire Lindsay I feel it would be folly not to have a natural left sided centreback to compete for that position. Ideally someone who could also play left back if required tho' that may be wishful thinking.

I also reckon a centreback pairing of Devine/Lindsay is a step up from either Frans/Lindsay or Lindsay/Seaborne (where Liam was played out of position). The fact we know Big Liam can put in creditable performances at right centreback would suggest to me that we'll sign a natural left sided centreback to complete our defensive quota. That in turn indicates that Devine is likely to have been signed as an anticipated first choice centre.

With Lawless, Erskine, Edwards, Amoo all in and around the starting XI and two attacking full backs I'd think that highly unlikely. Later on in certain games 2 up is probable (as it was last season).

I hear you, and I'm just musing....

But since we came up we've really only had 2 prominent centre forwards. Doolan & Pogba/Taylor/Baird.

I'm maybe getting ahead of myself but this guy seems a class apart from German/Mukendi/Eccleston.

He has game time and respectable scoring record challenging for a place in a competitive team.... a team that I think found success playing 2 up front?

Like I say... probly getting over excited and playing to much "football manager" as a wean has me over-analysing the formation options... but I think it could be a significant signing...

Do we need 2 defensive midfielders? ....

I think we over crowded the midfield last year at times. Helped defensively, but maybe stifled us going forwards sometimes, and I think Welsh and Fraser were at times a bit lost in the roles they were being asked to fill.

Pogba never really shone up front alone last year, but I think he did create some space for Dools when they were on together.....

:rolleyes: .... Forgive me ... The Euros just ain't the hit i need.... It's like Nicotine gum.... a pint of Kaliber .... diet Irn bru that ain't even been in the fridge....

Mon eh Jags..... Ah F**KIN NEED IT!!!!!!

:fan:

I may be picking you up wrong but I'm not too sure that Devine can be seen as a replacement for Miller. That would suggest that he's not an anticipated first choice centreback. As I read it the signing of Syme (who can cover at right back) with his first team experience means we only require three centrebacks instead of four (3 squad and an U20).

I'd suggest the remaining centreback vacancy will be filled by a natural left sided player. Much as I admire Lindsay I feel it would be folly not to have a natural left sided centreback to compete for that position. Ideally someone who could also play left back if required tho' that may be wishful thinking.

I also reckon a centreback pairing of Devine/Lindsay is a step up from either Frans/Lindsay or Lindsay/Seaborne (where Liam was played out of position). The fact we know Big Liam can put in creditable performances at right centreback would suggest to me that we'll sign a natural left sided centreback to complete our defensive quota. That in turn indicates that Devine is likely to have been signed as an anticipated first choice centre.

Agree with all of that, but also that the final central defender needs to have lots of experience to guide Liam/Danny/David who are all quite young. Gordon Greer would be ideal, except that he is right sided.

Yeah i'm, with ya... Devine certainly a centre back. But I think he started games at both right and left back for caley last year. Dunno how he got on, and I'm speculating on him as a "Utility player". And Gary wasn't really that either, but he did competently fill a gap when required to.

Not a direct replacement for Gary, but possibly a signing who gives us options when the suspensions/injuries kick in.

Welcome to the Real Jags Lads.

Don't mind if we never sign another, that's what the development team is for. Its up to them to produce the goods for Archie, If Iceland can find a team out of their wee country, surely T.F we can find 11 fitba players in Glasgow...

For the first time I can really remember we have managed to hold onto arguably some of our best players who could have moved elsewhere whilst we have managed to poach a couple from teams around us.

Another major positive is that we now have almost a full squad in place for next season already so they will all benefit from a full preseason. Very happy with Archie's signings so far and optimistic about the new season

Good to get some signings on board early. Kit launch should be seen.

I'd still like another centre half preferably with a taste for opposition forwards.

Hopefully a central midfielder to join soon. Maybe a couple of loan signings and we won't be far off.