Just In Vs. Queen's Park

A solid display from the lads this afternoon. We dominated possession but The Spiders defended in numbers, which meant space was at a premium in and around the opposition box. In the first 20 minutes in particular it looked like we would take six off of them, as Welsh had all the time in the world to spray passes around and he did so to great effect for the first goal. Gradually, however, they sorted themselves out and got closer to our midfielders. I thought Wilson had one of his better games and looked more willing to receive the ball when under pressure. Erskine also had a decent game, as did the aforementioned skipper, Welsh. Archie sensibly took Edwards off, him being a yellow away from a suspension, but I thought he looked spritely during the 55-odd minutes he was on the park. I thought that Booth, while he didn't have a particularly bad game, looked cream-crackered by the 70-minute mark. And I really wish fans who were whistling and jeering at the team when they played the ball backwards to retain possession would give it a break. On least two occasions excellent chances were forged as a consequence of patient build-up play, where we moved the ball back into defence before selecting the correct pass.

All-in, a decent afternoon's work.

Edited by Gnome on the Bing

Yeah! As Archie has said there was no real pace to our play and I think QP gained in confidence and got a few corners later on. On a bad day we might have lost a goal. Remember, too, that Tomas had one really good save in the first half.

Erskine was good as was Welsh and Devine was decent. Wee Stevie has been a bit anon in the last couple of games and I hope he is keeping himself fresh to take ICT apart next week.

Azeez and Pgs were pretty good when they came on too.

We did the job as required and it would be nice to get a wee bit of luck with the draw tomorrow. We don't need ICT or Motherwell at this stage, thanks!

Thought Welsh and Erskine were the two best players on the park.

Cerny had two outstanding saves.

Gordon was always in acres of space but Booth seemed to be the prefered ball, the majority of the time. I wish would go outside his man and hit the goal line more often.

Great to see Erskine pinging balls over the top for Amoo to run on to. wilson should have buried that header!

All three subs added to the team.

Game had a pre season friendly feel to it.

JHS linesman was really poor.

Thought Welsh and Erskine were the two best players on the park.

Cerny had two outstanding saves.

Gordon was always in acres of space but Booth seemed to be the prefered ball, the majority of the time. I wish would go outside his man and hit the goal line more often.

Great to see Erskine pinging balls over the top for Amoo to run on to. wilson should have buried that header!

All three subs added to the team.

Game had a pre season friendly feel to it.

JHS linesman was really poor.

Ok, 50p for the linesman's family. Who's in?

• Like 1

And I really wish fans who were whistling and jeering at the team when they played the ball backwards to retain possession would give it a break. On least two occasions excellent chances were forged as a consequence of patient build-up play, where we moved the ball back into defence before selecting the correct pass.

Sorry but can't agree with you. Those fans you describe are very much part of the fabric of our support. They've been acting the same way since the Summer of 2012. And since then we've not looked back by doing, well, the exact opposite of what they're whistling and jeering about. Just like you don't strip the engine of a car that's performing well I don't believe you want to change the nature of the support, even if it contains an element that can at best be described as quaint.

So let's lay off the more eccentric members of our fanbase. Their gate or season ticket money is as good as anyone else's. In fact you could argue better than anyone else's as it's clear they don't enjoy watching the Jags nearly as much as us others.

Edited by lady-isobel-barnett
  • Like 1

Job done, but really no intensity to the play. Other than Welsh no real pass marks only some concerns.

Appreciate it did have a friendly feel and that the early goal probably had everyone conserving energy but a few things evident over the league cup games.

Devine needs to stop trying to pass long balls down the middle, just pass it to others who can.

Wilson isn't going to make it if he stays in the first team this season, he isn't Welsh and shouldn't imitate he'll have more chance of success if he plays his own game. For me he needs to go out on loan to a top Championship team.

Lawless looks to be lacking energy and has put in some laclustre performances. Hopefully just the pre-season nature of the games.

The central midfield looks light and we need Banzo and Abdul in asap as we lack both creativity and protection for the central two.

Lastly we need a third central defender in as Lindsay and Devine don't look the answer. Both decent defenders but they both need an older head to talk them through the game with both needing spells on the sideline.

Appreciate I am being critical, on the positive I do think we could have a better season than last year if we can address these points. The front line excites and there is goals in this team if they can remain confident and rotated appropriately.

Sorry but can't agree with you. Those fans you describe are very much part of the fabric of our support. They've been acting the same way since the Summer of 2012. And since then we've not looked back by doing, well, the exact opposite of what they're whistling and jeering about. Just like you don't strip the engine of a car that's performing well I don't believe you want to change the nature of the support, even if it contains an element that can at best be described as quaint.

So let's lay off the more eccentric members of our fanbase. Their gate or season ticket money is as good as anyone else's. In fact you could argue better than anyone else's as it's clear they don't enjoy watching the Jags nearly as much as us others.

I appreciate your perspective but disagree nonetheless. The jeers can only be counterproductive and put the players under unnecessary pressure, so calling for patience is, in my humble option, justified. Yes, we've done well since 2012, but in spite of such heckling, not because of it. I'm not denying that fans who pay for a ticket are entitled to voice their concerns – they can, and undoubtedly will, ignore my pleas – I'm merely pointing out that in this instance it's counterproductive and based on a flawed notion of how the team should build its attacks. A fair comment I believe.

• Like 1

I was a bit underwhelmed by the new League Cup format when it was announced - I have very low expectations of any good ideas being introduced by Regan & Doncaster but in fairness it has been a real success. I have no interest in attending a pre-season friendly but a competitive match is more worthwhile. However, it was a pretty dull game without any real edge.

I was a few minutes late and heard but didn't see our first goal. We completely dominated possession in the first half without creating many chances. Queens were pretty limited but were more involved in the second half which we sleepwalked through until Lindsay scored with a thumping header. We had a few near things later on mainly coming from Queens tired errors rather than inspired play and it was a comfortable win.

Cerny made one excellent save - he is a class act. Gordon & Booth were ok, Devine & Lindsay were largely untested but not overly impressive; Welsh controlled the game and Wilson looked quite good, particularly in the first half but they are a bit similar in style and too inclined to play the ball back - I would like to see midfielders drive forward and play the ball into our forwards' feet rather than crossfield balls to the full backs. I am not in the "get it forward" camp but there were too many pointless passes around the back before an aimless punt upfield.

Edwards runs about a lot but doesn't seem to influence the game much. Lawless had a quiet game, Doolan had some good touches but Erskine was the only Thistle player to carry a real threat - great to see him back.

We will need to step up our game next week when the real thing starts.

I appreciate your perspective but disagree nonetheless. The jeers can only be counterproductive and put the players under unnecessary pressure, so calling for patience is, in my humble option, justified. Yes, we've done well since 2012, but in spite of such heckling, not because of it. I'm not denying that fans who pay for a ticket are entitled to voice their concerns – they can, and undoubtedly will, ignore my pleas – I'm merely pointing out that in this instance it's counterproductive and based on a flawed notion of how the team should build its attacks. A fair comment I believe.

You shouldn't take my rantings that seriously, G o t B. You're perfectly correct and of course it's counterproductive. I was only trying to convey that the same misguided "whistling and jeering" has been virtually ever present for the last four years. Four years that have been exceptionally successful.

I'd suggest if after four years a section of our support "just don't get it" then they never will. We could be playing in the final of the Champions League and they'd still be wanting the ball punted aimlessly up the pitch. Guess they just enjoy a good moan.

• Like 1

A back pass and pointless square balls across the back against part time footballers is not acceptable, and fully deservant of a jeer and a whistle. In four games we have played nobody, but struggled in every game. Airdrie first game ok, iron out faults, QotS, were it not for better finishing by the visitors we were beat, lucky win. Stenhousemuir, great first half but couldn't capitalise, we got a penalty when it should have been a free kick to Stenny, almost threw t away in the second half. Today never learned anything from our previous games, never had the football brain to use the full extent of the park against part timers...at £10 entrance fee to watch, what in effect is tarted up junior football, then chaps I for one will be jeering and whistling the loudest. As a professional footballing team, I want us to take the game seriously, Don't all walk across the field like daft wee boys to the other side of the pitch when the keeper is kicking the ball out, use the park FFS...............

I want to put in a word in praise of Div Wilson.

In previous years I've not seen what the coaches see in him, but this early season I think he has been very much better.

In the first game or two I said that this was his make or break season.

I.e. He's been around for ages without showing much promise.

However, in the past few games I would say he has really stepped up his game and had started to look like a real prospect.

Some of his long passing was brilliant today. Not only accurate, but what we've all been shouting about - he put the ball AHEAD of the on-rushing player (usually Booth).

I think there's real hope that Wilson could become a very decent Thistle asset in the future.

• Like 2

A back pass and pointless square balls across the back against part time footballers is not acceptable, and fully deservant of a jeer and a whistle. In four games we have played nobody, but struggled in every game. Airdrie first game ok, iron out faults, QotS, were it not for better finishing by the visitors we were beat, lucky win. Stenhousemuir, great first half but couldn't capitalise, we got a penalty when it should have been a free kick to Stenny, almost threw t away in the second half. Today never learned anything from our previous games, never had the football brain to use the full extent of the park against part timers...at £10 entrance fee to watch, what in effect is tarted up junior football, then chaps I for one will be jeering and whistling the loudest. As a professional footballing team, I want us to take the game seriously, Don't all walk across the field like daft wee boys to the other side of the pitch when the keeper is kicking the ball out, use the park FFS...............

Won't waste any more time other than to say complete dross.

• Like 1

I think we have to take the results with a little bit of caution, as all the teams we have played are in leagues lower than us. Of course having said that a few premiership sides didn't win their group or even qualify for the next stage. Yesterday we did enough to win without being overly impressive.

I am a bit concerned for next week as it looked as if Devine, Welsh and Booth were hobbling a bit at the end.

I am glad Cerny is back. Gordon looks fairly solid and gets forward a bit more than I expected. I am not as nervous as some are re Devine and Lindsay. I hope that Osman is ready for next week, although having had no game time so far, I doubt he will start.

It is great having Erskine back. He has a turn of pace that takes him past defenders and has a bit of control. Azeez has the pace, but I am not sure if he is in control of the ball.

Re Azeez and now Pogba. When we are in full flow and running confidently at teams this pair will cause problems at our level. I just wish yesterday we had been a bit more direct. There is a time for more long balls and yesterday was one of them instead of trying to pick our way through nine "dustbins".

I'm sure ICT will come at us if all reports are to be believed so it will be a totally different feel to the game next week.

Onwards and upwards and I hope we get the halt and the lame all back soon.

You shouldn't take my rantings that seriously, G o t B. You're perfectly correct and of course it's counterproductive. I was only trying to convey that the same misguided "whistling and jeering" has been virtually ever present for the last four years. Four years that have been exceptionally successful.

I'd suggest if after four years a section of our support "just don't get it" then they never will. We could be playing in the final of the Champions League and they'd still be wanting the ball punted aimlessly up the pitch. Guess they just enjoy a good moan.

True LIB, I may be being overly optimistic regarding the willingness of people to reflect on their views and the merits of criticising the players for adhering to this style of play, but hope springs eternal. It's just really frustrating to hear fellow fans berating a player for retaining possession when it's evident to everyone that there is absolutely no other option available to him other than hurling an aimless high-ball towards one of the strikers. Gah!

• Like 1

Yesterday was a really frustrating game for a fans point of view I thought. I could count on one hand the amount of times a we attempted to take the ball past a defender instead we looked for a backwards/sideways pass. If these players can't beat a player who is part time two leagues below them then they've not got much chance of beating a man playing professionally in the premier league.

It was also very frustrating watching us continually ping balls out from the centre of the pitch to the flanks when there was an easier option through the middle. It just became really boring and predictable. Yes Queen's Park set up to not get a doing and there might not have been to much space through the middle but a lot of the time we didn't even look for it and went for the easy option out wide.

I really fear about this central defensive partnership. I am not the biggest fan of Lindsay and yesterday showed his decision making is suspect as usual. I know he is still young but he is now for the time being first choice along with Devine so I think he does need to improve majorly and take control and charge of the defence.

In the end it could have and sould have been more (don't know how Wilson or azeez didn't take their chance and also I don't know who's miss was worse) but to finish top of the group with 4 wins out of 4 you have to give a good bit of credit to the management team and the players even if the teams they were playing are in the leagues below.

Good to see cerny back and made a couple of really good saves in the first half. Still not totally liking Welsh and Wilson but the both had pretty decent games during the group stages.

Lawless was totally anonymous yesterday and couldn't believe he stayed on the pitch as long as he did. Erskine was very good and throughly deserved the man of the match award and great to see him back in a thistle shirt!

Some of Wilson's passing especially 1st half was an absolute joy. Did those critising not actually watch the game? Don't send him on loan! Get him playing regularly, he will get better and better. I agree he needs to forget trying to play like Welsh and make better decisions which will come with confidence and experience.

Probable only change will see Amoo in for Edwards which will provide more width and should give Amoo some service from Wilson's delivery.

There were a couple of times I thought we could have moved the ball forward earlier but agree the CB's distribution is not good. They should be letting Welsh and Wilson do the passing.

• Like 2

Wouldn't really read too much into this game, in all honesty it looked like the lads were doing just enough to get a run out and a win. At times in the second half we probably put ourselves under unnecessary because of this. No disrespect to QP but, it was a bit of training exercise for most of the game, actually quite boring at times. About what I expected though.

If I remember correctly, Welsh's ball for Erskine? Finished very well. If Welsh can play these kind of passes against better opposition then, great!

From the highlights: Erskine is going to make a positive difference to our attacking options this season. Gordon totally looks the part at right back. And some really good passes being sprayed around from midfield. I'm sure we'll get off to a better start to the league than we did last term.