Accies 03/12/16

Lindau

Talking to a hamilton supporting mate, yesterday. To say he thinks Dan is a donkey would be an understatement. "I cant believe you guys had such a good goal difference last season, he's laughably bad."

Backing off attacking players who run at him with the ball, over hitting it in a straight line down the park and out of play were the main issues he had. Seems some things dont change.

For a while the combination of Booth ,Sebo,Frans, Muzzy was the best we have had for decades and Sebo was part of that.

This season's defence has been consistantly rank rotten.

Fair enough but the consistent form of Cerny and Abdul last season can't be overlooked. I don't want to take anything away from your argument but I don't think the above back four combination played together in any more than a couple of games. They did look good in the goalless draw up in Inverness but I can't mind any other time they all played as a back four unit.

Talking to a hamilton supporting mate, yesterday. To say he thinks Dan is a donkey would be an understatement. "I cant believe you guys had such a good goal difference last season, he's laughably bad." Backing off attacking players who run at him with the ball, over hitting it in a straight line down the park and out of play were the main issues he had. Seems some things dont change.

Could be an effect of him wanting a change of scene (and a better club) and being disappointed, thus his heart's not in it. Of course that's a sign of a bad attitude and could work against him getting a better move but it's a possible explanation why he was good for a long spell (but not all the time) with us and poor for them.

Fair enough but the consistent form of Cerny and Abdul last season can't be overlooked. I don't want to take anything away from your argument but I don't think the above back four combination played together in any more than a couple of games. They did look good in the goalless draw up in Inverness but I can't mind any other time they all played as a back four unit.

That actually makes me think how little any of our centre back pairings have played consistantly together since Muirhead and Balatoni . Back in the day it was just Anderson and Campbell every week rain or shine.

We dont seem to have any partnership at the back these days.

That actually makes me think how little any of our centre back pairings have played consistantly together since Muirhead and Balatoni . Back in the day it was just Anderson and Campbell every week rain or shine.

We dont seem to have any partnership at the back these days.

Actually I think the Frans/Seaborne partnership latterly turned in some good results. It's just my own opinion that they looked awkward together. Their distribution was particularly poor, a combination of slow to move the ball forward (Frans) and huge diagonal lob up the field (Seaborne). I'll always argue that you have to be exceptionally good defenders to get away with that as you're in effect just inviting the ball back into your area too often. At least Balatoni could move the ball forward at a reasonable pace and build up an attack. He no doubt helped, by building from the back, put the bricks into an attack that ended in a goal or at least kept the ball upfield. In no way would I want Conrad back as a first choice defender but I don't think he's ever been adequately replaced in a two centreback formation.

Edited by lady-isobel-barnett

For a while the combination of Booth ,Sebo,Frans, Muzzy was the best we have had for decades and Sebo was part of that.

This season's defence has been consistantly rank rotten.

Though last season's defence is lauded, it's worth noting that it performed worse (50 goals conceded) than the season previous to that (44 goals conceded), the latter defence heavily featuring Balatoni

After 15 games last season we had conceded 21 goals.

This season I think we have conceded 22 by the same point.

Hardly the catastrophe some would make out.

The problem is the manner and timing of goals we have conceded have generally been much more disappointing. Also this season the defence have played in front of four different goalkeepers, which is a slight plea in mitigation.

After 15 games last season we had conceded 21 goals.

This season I think we have conceded 22 by the same point.

Hardly the catastrophe some would make out.

The problem is the manner and timing of goals we have conceded have generally been much more disappointing. Also this season the defence have played in front of four different goalkeepers, which is a slight plea in mitigation.

Correct our defence has been consistently average since we came back up with a tendency to commit some howlers

Big liam has commmited twice as many howlers than he has scored. Balatoni wasn't much better.

That in itself isn't a bad statistic (tho' I realise it's only a generalisation). I imagine quite a few managers wish some of their defenders could atone for 50% of their errors at the other end of the pitch.