What If You Had Real Choice?

BowenBoys

Let's get 22S6 to the Club and be done with it!

Sandy, there a few things worth considering before such action would be taken.

First up, do the club care? Whilst that might sound blunt, it's a valid question. The vast majority of kit contracts are based on a one off payment to the club and are not sales based. Certainly not sales levels of relevance. As an example, St Mirrens JD Sports contract is worth 100k a year. They may have an add on that they get a fiver on every top sold once they surpass the 1000 Mark. Unachievable, but part of the contract no less.

So... do the club care what the strip looks like and therefore how many sales there are, if it doesn't impact how much money they make.

The clubs biggest or only priority may be comfort for the players.

Secondly is, there's a vote already taking place. And whilst the participant figures may be nonsense. There may be some Jags fans who love option A or B. You can't disregard their opinion, even if it is hidden behind say 1500 Internet trolls who voted with no real interest.

Thirdly, only 20 people have shared their opinion on the designs i put up. Whilst it might actually be a more accurate Poll on what Thistle fans want, it's still only 2o people.

Lastly, the Honduras top is the closest template I can find that reflects our most popular vote. However, that template has a panel on the back. The stripes don't go all the way round. Would fans forgo that, if it meant getting a top that looks good at the front?

However, with all that in mind, there's no reason that discussions can't be opened if the club genuinely do want to interact with the fans on this.

I don't for a minute think the club haven't seen this thread.

It may be the case that they see 20 Thistle fans opinion as a more accurate Poll, than 2000+ people from the Web.

But, they have my mobile number. And so far, no contact has been made.

It may be the case they take the current poll to decide the winning TTL submission. Them put it up against two of my designs. A hoop and stripe option.

Even if it was open only to Jagzone members, it would at least be a poll of Thistle fans.

• Like 1

First up, do the club care? Whilst that might sound blunt, it's a valid question. The vast majority of kit contracts are based on a one off payment to the club and are not sales based. Certainly not sales levels of relevance. As an example, St Mirrens JD Sports contract is worth 100k a year. They may have an add on that they get a fiver on every top sold once they surpass the 1000 Mark. Unachievable, but part of the contract no less.

Bang on the money there PT. Why should the club care? They will most likely get the same money regardless of quantity sold and it would only cause more work to revisit.

Startling!

Indeed, I wonder how many of them actually go to games?

I imagine far more go to games. Remember not all fans go to every game. I would estimate maybe half our home support go to every/nearly every home game. There will then be probably another 25% of a typical crowd that go to half the home games. Then some that make 5 a season and some that make 1-2 (me these days :( ).

So in these terms, with an average home gate of 2400, that might be 1200 attending every game, 1200 attending half the games, 1200 attending a quarter of games, and maybe the same again attending a game or two a season. That would make about 5000 individuals (the real number is probably much higher) walking through the home gate over a season. I've made these numbers up, but I imagine the pattern to be true.

This is why when trying to get people through the gates, its not taking people from being never attenders to frequent attenders. You want to encourage new fans to try going to a few games. Entice those that make 5 games a season to get a half season ticket or combined ticket to guarantee more income. Mfind a way of helping those guys that make half the games to come every week.

Sorry, I've gone wildly off topic. I just bet the majority of those voting do attend.

If when the voting closes on Friday if the winner only has a small number of votes more than the other option does that give the club an opportunity to say "lets take this option and put it against another option to establish a clear winner"?

I had a discussion with Ian Maxwell after the Trust meeting about how the voting would operate and because I was thinking we would have 3 options we talked about having a threshold of 60% (my figure) for a clear winner in the first round as if one had 40% and the other 2 had 30% each we would have a winner but 60% didn't vote for it.

I just feel that given the feedback since the options were presented the club would be wise to try and turn a potential negative into a positive.

And of the options on this thread it would be post 17 for me.

Edited by Fawlty Towers

Am I allowed to go against the grain of this thread and suggest that Potty Trained's efforts are very traditional, but a bit dated. I actually prefer the ones on the official site (B if the yellow and red were reversed would be a belter). Sorry PT, nothing personal and you've done a lot of work, but I think we need to move with the times.

They are absolute beauties Potty Trained would be happy with any of those but will go for post 21 or 22.

Please PTFC seriously consider these designs.

Regarding the survey that TTL are doing with the 2 strips is there anything that stops say a Clyde supporter or any other team for that matter going on and voting? It seems to have been created pretty amateur like the whole thing

Have to say I have been surprised by the general negative attitude towards the clubs current attempt to engage with the fan base. Putting aside the actual designs for a second what we have at face value is the club offering the fan base a choice between two designs one of which I presume would be our home kit for next season if no vote were to take place.

This for me has to be a good thing and something I personally feel would be a step forward if this excercise was carried out for all future changes of strip home or away. Under those circumstances there will inevitably be options that are not to everyone's liking that's just a fact of life and maybe even on occasion neither option will be favoured by the majority, god knows we have had some ghastly strips in the past that we had no choice over.

I take on board completely the points raised about going back on three choices and the vote being open to all, I agree if this was discussed and three options "promised" then the club should follow through with what they agreed or not mislead if they have no control over how many options will be available. I can't agree it should only be available to Jagzone members as not all genuine Jags fans wish to join and those that don't shouldn't be excluded. We need to remember the club is trying to market itself and a clubs strip is one of the most identifiable brands that they usually have so to have others interested isn't necessarily a bad thing, I repeat these are genuine options for our home kit there is no Trojan horse option that others can get one over on us from.

I appreciate the launch of any new strip is a moment to look forward to and can either excite or underwhelm and on this occasion it seems for most posters its the latter which is disappointing, however no matter what one is chosen I would hope that you all get behind the club and buy whatever you can to help finance the team.

I prefer 'traditional' football tops. However, I think this season's top is very good. When my boys play in them, they are the best strips on the pitch. The two options for next season are, from the available evidence, nowhere near as nice.

I am happy to help finance the team but I won't be spending £70 on clothes for the kids if I think they won't look good.

PT, I think those in the Club that read the Forum and the members of the new Supporters Association would do well to consider your excellent designs and the views of regular Forum users.

I wouldn't buy either of the initial designs offered. What would be the incentive for me to continue player sponsorship next season if the jersey is rank?

I would buy one of yours and would be happy to see Erskine wear it!

• Like 1

PT, I think those in the Club that read the Forum and the members of the new Supporters Association would do well to consider your excellent designs and the views of regular Forum users.

I wouldn't buy either of the initial designs offered. What would be the incentive for me to continue player sponsorship next season if the jersey is rank?

I would buy one of yours and would be happy to see Erskine wear it!

PT's designs are all excellent, I would be happy with any of them if truth be told. I take the point about them maybe being "retro" but those designs seem to be a lot more popular on the forum than either of the 2 being proposed by TTL. Some of the worst strips of all time are a result of clubs and kit suppliers trying to "move with the times".

• Like 2

You can't argue with retro. If the club want to please the fans you go with a basic red and yellow design that I proposed before, and maybe a centenary styles away shirt. Even if you couldn't omit the sponsor from the jersey, a navy blue kit, thick white collar and maybe a retro Thistle logo would go down a storm.

• 2 weeks later...

Our red yellow and black cousins at Watford have a new deal with adidas

I bet that looks great

Would love that for us one day - or a return to umbro

Watford seem to have pretty much phased out red over the last few years, which is disappointing.

Umbro have done some cracking tops for Lens in recent years. This is the current one, which again would be much better than either of next year's options:

rc-lens-16-17-kit%2B%25282%2529.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

Watford seem to have pretty much phased out red over the last few years, which is disappointing.

Umbro have done some cracking tops for Lens in recent years. This is the current one, which again would be much better than either of next year's options:

rc-lens-16-17-kit%2B%25282%2529.jpg

That kit is rather fine