Dungdee 28/12/2016

Lindau

First direct goal from a free kick since Higginbotham????

Two goals in front of the Northy. Last time?

1. Yes...

01.03.2014 Ross County [a] D1-1 (SPFL Premiership - game 28)

Kallum Higginbotham (1-0, 8 mins)

2. Not so long ago...

15.10.2016 Hamilton Academical [h] D2-2 (SPFL Premiership - game 8)

Ryan Edwards (1-1, 22 mins); Liam Lindsay (2-1, 43 mins)

Just have to say that Alan Muir was just awful. I cannot believe what he was giving fouls for and how many of our players got booked?

I thought he spoiled the game totally. How many free kicks in our half did he give Dundee in the second half. All they had to do was back in and fall down. We look very naive to this sort of tactic and there are quite a few teams in the division at it.

It was good to win ugly for a change .

Roll on Saturday!

• Like 2

First half we were great. Second half we started to fade, dropped too deep and it was scrappy towards the end.

As others have said Dundee last season were impressive at times and did us over a lot but today they were very poor, negative and niggly which is strange as I have been impressed by Hartley as a manager. They looked a team with no ideas and going downwards in the league instead of looking up.

When Erskine goes off we are a different team as players know they can give it to him and he can make space and perform some magic to get us positive and up the park. I also wonder if Barton in a back 3 could maybe venture forward more and then Osman could cover him ala "Christmas Tree" formation that was so successful for England in Euro '96 - sorry but I really liked that team and their setup by El Tel. Sometimes it feels that Barton, Osman and Welsh are too similar and not complementing each other that they could.

Edwards was rightly MOTM (remember his brutal debut..?) and I thought Welsh ran him close with Erskine and Booth close behind. Great game, atmosphere and result! Bring on Killie.

• Like 1

Just have to say that Alan Muir was just awful. I cannot believe what he was giving fouls for and how many of our players got booked?

I thought he spoiled the game totally. How many free kicks in our half did he give Dundee in the second half. All they had to do was back in and fall down. We look very naive to this sort of tactic and there are quite a few teams in the division at it.

It was good to win ugly for a change .

Roll on Saturday!

Very good points there tho', I don't know whether that's winning ugly or just plain professionally. With the second line of defence all on bookings and a loss of height and left-footedness thru an enforced substitution, that was no easy task. Credit to Ziggy on that account.

1. Yes...

01.03.2014 Ross County [a] D1-1 (SPFL Premiership - game 28)

Kallum Higginbotham (1-0, 8 mins)

2. Not so long ago...

15.10.2016 Hamilton Academical [h] D2-2 (SPFL Premiership - game 8)

Ryan Edwards (1-1, 22 mins); Liam Lindsay (2-1, 43 mins)

Higginbotham scored away to killie later that season

Main problem is we cant hold the ball when we're under pressure. Dundee were their own worst enemy, when they had us on the rack, their finishing was rubbish. Gordon came on to do a job on the big 21 who had fouled his way through the whole game. McGowan is a legend in his own tea break. A dummy hard man, who a more experienced player could get him sent off. Elliot was poor, couldn't boss a kindergarten. And Mr Erskine, who got a rousing reception for missing a sitter, of was it a well worked move to get Dools a goal. Not to many corner kicks in this game.....

Great result.

There seems to be general agreement that Edwards especially is turning out some great performances. Dools appears to be back to being Dools, Welsh has improved, even Gordon did well...... All good!

Oh, and a clean sheet (fiver) ! Hoping for more of those to lighten my wallet between now and the end of the season.

Elliot was poor

My God, wonders will never cease.....we actually agree on something. He got a couple of right bollockings from Shaggy in the 2nd half when he passed the dug outs. One of his poorest games in a jags jersey. Really don't think we played that well tonight but no doubting it was a terrific result. Good to see a good turnout and atmosphere tonight, what a difference that makes to games at FirhillI. The North was busy tonight and plenty of singing going on. It was worth going tonight just to get the calendar and proggie for a bargain ten spot....lol

Good win. Controlled the game mostly. I didn't think Dundee looked in danger of scoring - our defending was mostly composed. Barton is a lovely footballer- never looks flustered and his passing is very very good. Edwards does bannigans job this year and has so much energy but also a bit of quality. Thought Elliot was decent despite some criticism on here- particularly enjoyed that crunching tackle that he picked up a yellow for. Agree about ref- there should never have been so many bookings in that game. Onwards jags, 3 points against killie next please

Really good performance against a horrible looking Dundee team that tried their hardest to drag us down to their level.

Another brilliant display by Ryan Edwards. Barton was good as well but Edwards' effort, pace and energy is something we haven't seen for many years. He is sometimes still prone to the odd silly mistake but was exceptional last night.

We are so much more creative with Erskine in the team. What has happened a couple of times already this season happened again last night - we lost our way a bit when he went off. I can understand why Archie put Azeez on at that point but would have preferred if it was Doolan he replaced.

Just as I wasn't overly concerned about us being bottom of the league a couple of games ago, I'm not going to get too carried away about us being where we are now. However, it puts us in a fantastic position to build on and a win on Saturday will see us very relaxed going in to the break. I genuinely believe we are better than all the teams below us and see no reason as to why we can't finish where we are now - top six.

Edited by Jag

Another brilliant display by Ryan Edwards. Barton was good as well but Edwards' effort, pace9 and energy is something we haven't seen for many years. He is sometimes still prone to the odd silly mistake but was exceptional last night.

We were actually discussing this after the game last night. If Edwards keeps this type of form up, he is undroppable. Where would that leave a fully fit Banzo next season. Really thought we would miss Bannigan this season but Ryan Edwards has been a revelation! Can't think of ever seeing a jags player that has the boundless energy he has. He must be a nightmare to play against as he doesn't give you a minutes peace!

Main problem is we cant hold the ball when we're under pressure. Dundee were their own worst enemy, when they had us on the rack, their finishing was rubbish.....McGowan is a legend in his own tea break. A dummy hard man, who a more experienced player could get him sent off.

Agree with 2 points above. We really put ourselves under pressure. Azeez sticks his big bahookie to hold up ball but rarely took it for a run or give a decent lay 9ff to move the ball up the park. We were playing deeper so there was less support to him.

We should have been all over McGowan clipping his heels and niggling him. He was primed for a red card. We as a team should be more cynical there.

We were actually discussing this after the game last night. If Edwards keeps this type of form up, he is undroppable. Where would that leave a fully fit Banzo next season. Really thought we would miss Bannigan this season but Ryan Edwards has been a revelation! Can't think of ever seeing a jags player that has the boundless energy he has. He must be a nightmare to play against as he doesn't give you a minutes peace!

I think there would always be a place in the team for a fully fit Banzo. He keeps possession better than anyone else in our squad and is a different type of player. Completely agree with you though that opposition players must HATE playing against Edwards.

Sean Welsh also played well again last night and showed great energy himself. Of the midfield three, it is our captain that doesn't seem to be keeping the standards he has previously set. That said, would I like to see Archie drop him? Probably not.

Edited by Jag

Here's hoping that Archie and Maxi can negotiate an extension......

That felt like the longest 2nd half ive ever seen. Brilliant result and if we get another positive result on Saturday then it will begin to open up the league. Azeez's finishing must be rubbing off on everyone else. We could do worse than bring in mark roberts as a coach in January. Erskine's drop of the shoulder was incredible and how doolan managed to score the follow up was even more incredible given he had his back to goal at one point. Hard fought win. Edwards never stopped and without him i doubt we would have won. I think he inspired others by his work rate alone. We were our own worst enemy at times giving away daft free kicks and luckily they were all at cerny. The north stand was the busiest ive seen it in a long time an never stopped singing.

On the referee, we got 2 major decisions that could have went either way. The freekick for the first was soft and dools looks offside for the second. There were calls we didnt get in the second half but its about time they went for us

From the highlights I also wondered whether Dools wasn't just slightly offside... For the free kick, the defender did get the ball first, but then he left his leg there to make sure that Doolan would be tripped up. Ref got that one right, I think. As you say, about time we got a few breaks.

Suspended for Killie. As is Booth. Lindsay must be doubtful too.

Archie says on Jagzone that Callum and Abs out for Inverness game. Liam hurt his nose last night. I had no idea what had happened to him after we scored. The way he hobbled off seemed to indicate a leg injury. Archie just saying on SSN that we are looking at a few players from down south in the January window!