Incompetent Linesmen

Jaggernaut

I'm still raging about that flag-happy wage-thief on Saturday. Thanks to him and his fellow waste of space at Hamilton, Thistle have been denied two victories which would have seen us comfortably in the top six and possibly challenging to go even higher in the league. A question: does anybody think that either of those "offsides" would have been given against sevco or smeltic at Ibrox or Porkheid? Somehow I doubt it. Some say these things even out over the course of the season, but I don't recall any perfectly good goals against us being chalked off in the same way.

Rant over.

:)

It's really annoying, to say the least, but what can you do about it seriously? Apart from hoping theses egregious errors balance tthemselves out over a season!

You can change the rule. I always thought that the rule was really there to stop blatant poaching. Most if not all of the decisions mentioned here come down to faster reactions by the attacking players, which I just don't think should be punished

I'm still raging about that flag-happy wage-thief on Saturday. Thanks to him and his fellow waste of space at Hamilton, Thistle have been denied two victories which would have seen us comfortably in the top six and possibly challenging to go even higher in the league. A question: does anybody think that either of those "offsides" would have been given against sevco or smeltic at Ibrox or Porkheid? Somehow I doubt it. Some say these things even out over the course of the season, but I don't recall any perfectly good goals against us being chalked off in the same way.

Rant over.

:)

In our home game vs Celtic, we got one decision in our favour in Lindsay's goal, probably because the ref thought that at 3-0, the game was finished. However, when there was another close decision minutes later - Welsh's header - it went against us.

As regards the 4 decisions - personally felt the least offside one was the one against Kilmarnock but given that we got 2 out of 4 it might suggest that the linesmen involved at least had a decent guess at all of them.

It's a difficult decision for them to get right all of the time so on/off/right/wrong/best guess is probably the most competant most of them can be.

Edited by JeanieD

go on enlighten me.

Offside is one of the laws of association football, codified in Law 11 of the Laws of the Game. The law states that players in an offside position, when the ball is touched or played by a teammate, may not become actively involved in the play. A player is in an offside position if any of their body parts with which they can touch the ball during any other part of the play is in the opponents' half of the pitch and closer to the opponents' goal line than both the ball and the second-to-last opponent (usually, but not necessarily always, the last defensive player in front of the goalkeeper).[1] Being in an offside position is not an offence in itself; at the moment the ball touches, or is played by, the player's team, the player must also be "actively involved in the play" in the opinion of the referee, in order for an offence to occur.[1] When the offside offence occurs, the referee stops play and awards a indirect free kick to the defending team from the position of the offending player.[1]

The offside offence is neither a foul nor a misconduct, players are never booked or sent off for offside.[2] Like fouls, however, any play (such as the scoring of a goal) that occurs after an offence has taken place but before the referee is able to stop the play is nullified.[3] Players that continue such play may be booked based on the referee's assessment of how significant or intentional the play was.

One of the main duties of the assistant referees is to assist the referee in adjudicating offside[4] — their position on the sidelines giving a more useful view sideways across the pitch.[5]:86, 95 Assistant referees communicate that an offside offence has occurred by raising a signal flag.[5]:97 However, as with all officiating decisions in the game, adjudicating offside is ultimately up to the referee, who can overrule the advice of their assistants if they see fit.

Applying this logic doolan was offside when he scored his goal.

Edited by clarencegarter

Offside is one of the laws of association football, codified in Law 11 of the Laws of the Game. The law states that players in an offside position, when the ball is touched or played by a teammate, may not become actively involved in the play. A player is in an offside position if any of their body parts with which they can touch the ball during any other part of the play is in the opponents' half of the pitch and closer to the opponents' goal line than both the ball and the second-to-last opponent (usually, but not necessarily always, the last defensive player in front of the goalkeeper).[1] Being in an offside position is not an offence in itself; at the moment the ball touches, or is played by, the player's team, the player must also be "actively involved in the play" in the opinion of the referee, in order for an offence to occur.[1] When the offside offence occurs, the referee stops play and awards a indirect free kick to the defending team from the position of the offending player.[1]

And breathe,,,,,,,,,!,,,

The offside offence is neither a foul nor a misconduct, players are never booked or sent off for offside.[2] Like fouls, however, any play (such as the scoring of a goal) that occurs after an offence has taken place but before the referee is able to stop the play is nullified.[3] Players that continue such play may be booked based on the referee's assessment of how significant or intentional the play was.

One of the main duties of the assistant referees is to assist the referee in adjudicating offside[4] — their position on the sidelines giving a more useful view sideways across the pitch.[5]:86, 95 Assistant referees communicate that an offside offence has occurred by raising a signal flag.[5]:97 However, as with all officiating decisions in the game, adjudicating offside is ultimately up to the referee, who can overrule the advice of their assistants if they see fit.

Applying this logic doolan was offside when he scored his goal.

When I played at a fairly poor amateur level we never had linesmen, only a ref.

We never questioned a ref's offside decision in 7 years. At least he had an excuse. The Hamilton ref knew fine there was nothing wrong with Booth's goal, as did the whole crowd. He should have over-ruled the imbecile.

I watched the game live on Jagzone and was as disappointed as everyone else that Doolan was flagged for offside, but unless you were in the same position as the A/R and watching the game the WAY the A/R was watching it, then it's difficult to comment.

Firstly, the camera angle made it impossible to say if he was offside or not.

Secondly, the majority of spectators and those on the bench would have been watching the player in possession of the ball when it was played forward to Doolan, and not watching Doolan. The A/R would have been watching the second last defender, and from his position it would be relatively easy to assess Doolan's position. He would also have been using his peripheral vision to watch the attacking player in possession of the ball and know when it was played. If your focus is on the attacking player only, then in the split second it takes to change your view, the offside player can appear to be in an onside position.

I make these comments based on my own experience as an A/R at a fairly senior level for over 15 years.